DirectX 10 for Unreal Engine 1

Get some cool tips about how to tweak your UT graphic, gameplay, and much more!
Myth
Inhuman
Personal rank: Low Poly Freak

DirectX 10 for Unreal Engine 1

Post by Myth »

I've bumped into this quite some while ago but it was a time when everyone had XP and VISTA was a pain in the ass. Now everyone slowly starts the transition towards windows7 and you may find this quite useful and amazing.

There are many render for UT99.
Software that comes whit the game works on everything because it's CPU only.
Direct X the old one which comes whit the game and looks like shit.
Direct X 8,9 that are fairly cool ones and work like a charm
OpenGL, the brand new which I'd say is the best.

There is an addon called
ENBseries which add color correction, bloom, screen space ambient occlusion and lots of cool effects to ANY directx 8 or directx 9 game.

And finally we have a
Direct X 10 render which offers some very interesting capabilities. This is fairly new. The latest update was just a few weeks ago.
One of it's best feautures is HDR lighting and automatic brightness. Every map will look clean and bright and all the Player models will look cleaner.
Besides that there is a long list of configurable features and all the shader compile at runtime meaning that you can change all the shaders if you want to.

And external textures. S3TC is an old relic now. This allows you to replace ANY texture whit high resolution DXT5 textures and you may add alpha channels, normal maps and even heightmaps for paralax mapping. It doesn't have the skating player glitch and it's something that in my opinion the re-texture unreal project should be working with.

These shots are from the website linked to this post. The website contains hi-res of these.
ImageImage
ImageImage

So you have winXP and you can't use this in this case I'm really sorry. But you aren't missing out on anything. IT has a few bugs and since it doesn't change the gameplay you may consider it a useless mod to the game.

Probably the biggest problem whit this is that all the cheat detectors on servers consider this a cheat since it's all new. So you can't play on servers which have aggressive anti cheat installed. But this should just be a matter of time.

You get GET IT from HERE

External links:
Direcx10 render http://kentie.net/article/d3d10drv/
OpenGL, Directx9 http://www.cwdohnal.com/utglr/
ENBseries http://enbdev.com/index_en.html
images linked from http://kentie.net/article/d3d10drv/
Last edited by Myth on Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Myth
Inhuman

Re: DirectX 10 for Unreal Engine 1

Post by Myth »

before some of you complain... if you can't install FOLLOW THE STEPS ON THE LINKED WEBSITE.

The whole screen maybe overall a bit too dark. This can be fixed.
All the shaders can be rewritten.
Before you mess around whit these you may want to create a backup.

• There is a folder in the system folder called d3d10drv.
• In this folder you have all the code for the shaders (visual effects).
• Open hdr.fx in notepad.
• There is a line at the top "static const float3 LUMINANCE_VECTOR = float3(0.2125f, 0.7154f, 0.0721f);"
• If you modify the numbers "(0.2125f, 0.7154f, 0.0721f)" you get different brightness.
• For double brightness you can replace it by "(0.2125f/2, 0.7154f/2, 0.0721f/2)"

Edit: I removed the attachment in this post because the renderer ge's updated frequently and I just can't keep up whit updating this file every time.

Have fun :D
Last edited by Myth on Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Raynor
Adept

Post by Raynor »

I get MSVCR100.DLL and MSVCP100.DLL file missing errors when I try this renderer version. That didn't happen with older versions.
Myth
Inhuman

Post by Myth »

@Raynor
http://kentie.net/article/d3d10drv/ wrote:2. Make sure you've got the Visual C++ 2010 runtimes download here. Note that this 32 bit version is also right for 64 bit operating systems, as the games are 32 bit executables.
Raynor
Adept

Post by Raynor »

My bad, should pay more attention.
Saya-chan
Adept
Personal rank: Former UT99 modder

Post by Saya-chan »

Hm, so Kentie's driver now has HDR and Bloom? Man I missed a lot.
  ~♥~ Bless the Cute Emperor ~♥~
Myth
Inhuman

Post by Myth »

The renderer was updated today.
It seems that macrotextures were broken. (something that many people overlook) But it's now fixed. You can grab the updated version from kentie's site.

Also, make sure that you have the latest DirectX, it uses the latest ones (June 2010)
Raynor
Adept

Post by Raynor »

After some testing throughout lastest versions (18-20) I found overall lightning on most maps looks kinda washed out/dark in some areas, no matter if ClassicLightning is enabled or not while OpenGL and D3D9 renderers from Chris Dohnal do look fine.
Myth
Inhuman

Post by Myth »

The author isn't satisfied whit how the lighting is right now. He is trying to implement a global HDR lighting system.
The game has no support for this and every map has different lighting settings.

If you think that the colors are washed out, i think you can play around in the shader files and boost them up a bit... that is if you understand what's written in them.
nuff
Novice

Post by nuff »

Did anyone manage to get the HDR lighting right? I think the shadows are to dark, the lights to bright, the blooming to big. I'm no expert in editing that HDR shader config. But maybe someone you does got it nice an playable?
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

I am guessing Allex is the one to talk to about this, as it will be an issue for the new project.
http://www.ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=4462