Need help :rotating wheel space station gravity

Get some cool tips about how to tweak your UT graphic, gameplay, and much more!
Grimpast
Novice

Need help :rotating wheel space station gravity

Post by Grimpast »

Dear Unreal Tournament comunity!

I'd like to make a very special CTF map in Ut 99, wich requires a special kind of gravity.
It would be a rotating wheel space station wich would operate like this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotating_w ... ce_station

I am thinking here a wheel, inward curving platform based on the same idea you can see in the Space Odyssey 2001.
So is it possible to create such thing, with proper gravity, wich means not only the players would be able to run the whole place, but the projectiles too? Yes! Imagine this: You shoot with the minigun and the tracers will curve upward!
Is it possible? If yes, how? At the Unreal Tournament SDK mod, UT99_Shadow kindly informed me it is possible by using multiple Warpzones. And then he advised you for additional info.
Can you please give me a hint, a link to a tutorial, or some good advices?
Thank you and greetings from Hungary!
(pictures are from google)
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Re: Need help :rotating wheel space station gravity

Post by Feralidragon »

Well, it's possible to an extent. Like Shadow said, that's mostly possible with multiple warpzones, however instant weapons won't pass through one zone to another using a warp one (weapons like enforcer, shockrifle main fire, minigun and sniper). Perhaps Shadow already supports that with his SDK (idk to be honest, you would have to ask him), and Unreal 227 also has that "fix" (but it's Unreal, not UT).

In the way it would work, instead of doing the torus as a whole, you would do the "slices" instead, and place 1 warpzone in each slice edge/limit (where it connects to the other "slice").

Look here:
warpExample.png
warpExample.png (3.82 KiB) Viewed 7650 times
So basically you build each slice, give the right edge angle (a zone portal sheet), and then add warpzones and connect one end to another, like Warp 2 to Warp 3 for example.
Grimpast
Novice

Post by Grimpast »

Thank you for the quick reply.
I will certanly ask Shadow, I hope it is possible some way to make it (un)real. Hahaha. What a joke.
Maybe I haven't got many choices: Give up the project, or set aside the instant weapons and write a quick note: "fellas! enforcer doesn't work" It would be bad, because I'd like to make it "bot-friendly".

Maybe I will have more questions in the near future, I am glad I can count on you. I'll show some progress, but now this is time of obtaining intelligence.

By the way: Do you know somebody who worked a lot with UT99 engine in context of gravity?
Hook
Inhuman
Personal rank: UT99 Promoter/Admin

Post by Hook »

I thought about doing this very same thing (pretty much)
But, it did look daunting, so it went on back burner - WAY back burner. :shock:
=Hook=(Member# 626)
HUTP Active Forums: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net/forum
HUTP UT99 Community Portal: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net/
OR: https://hermskii.com/hook/ut99_hutp/
UT99 Server -> CROSSBONES Missile Madness {CMM}

* Newest Versions of: PRO-Redeemers | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemers | PRO-SEEKER-Redeemers <-(the Original)
and Now with FOOD FIGHT and Frying Pan arena !!!
IP: 68.232.181.236:7777 <-(NEW IP to come)
UT99 MH Server -> {CMH} CROSSBONES Monster Hunt (MH) by Mars007 (The Original) - IP: 108.61.238.93:7777
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Post by FraGnBraG »

welcome! years ago, i also tried such a thing as this - gave up - warpzones are very finiky. it would be cool if this can be done. the skybox could also be a big problem - creating the illusion of a massive skyward curving ring that moves properly with relative position would be very difficult to acheive (i would think). well that said, multiple multi-skyzone actors are quite useful for creating illusions (heh) curious if these can be used...

Depending on the scale, you might be able to get around the "boundary" problem by limiting fighting areas to "non-boundry" areas, and make passing into a new zone a transition area. While it is possible to influence trajectory of (for example) rockets easily using zones/velocity settings - but the bullets are a problem... maybe someone can script a "deflection" actor?

Anyways - very cool post - nice pic too - makes me think of the sci-novel Titan! (another "ring world" idea)

Good luck
Cheers

ps - i might play with the skyzone idea a bit - if i come up with something i'll post here...
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

It's not only possible, it's been done. There's an old ut99 map based on the space station from 2001: A Space Odyssey, even has a Monolith in it, that uses this effect. It's a pretty cool map!

So I know it can be done. I can try to track the map down it you'd like to study it and see how it was done there...
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
FraGnBraG
Inhuman
Personal rank: Good news everyone!

Post by FraGnBraG »

damn, i don't have that one - do find it! i'd like to see that - all i have that has "2001" is this old ghandi poc called ctf-2001spaceoddessey and it's a pretty sh##ty map :pfff:

edit - nvm - i got it - kudos to the guy that did this :tu: (back in 2000, mind you so there's fugliness) it was a good try but really quite glitchy... it's done the way ferali indicated - but the skybox doesn't seem right in this map... i'll still try out the multi-skyzone idea...

just fyi:
2001-ring-map-1.jpg
-=FraGnBraG Level Design=- ***UPDATED! even works on your phone!***
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

I liked that part in the middle. Each part of the wheel has an elevator, all the editors goto a middle room with no gravity.

Did you know they made a CTF version of this too? Less detailed and the spin isn't well defined as the low gravity has a single down no matter where you are on the map.

There's also this:
http://www.evilut.com/CTFM-EvilCylinder.html

That's some freaky warp zones and gravity displays there. You can fight on all sides. This guy's made more than a few maps like this...
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Grimpast
Novice

Post by Grimpast »

Guys thank you very much! I have tried out that 2001 Space Odyssey deathmatch. funny I thought without enforcers wich can penetrate the warp zones the game would be boring, but no. Equip the players with launchers, and the enforcers are not a big deal. I think I will make a year 2011 (or 2012) version of the space wheel.
Again, thank you.
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

medor wrote:
EvilGrins wrote:I liked that part in the middle. Each part of the wheel has an elevator, all the editors goto a middle room with no gravity.

Did you know they made a CTF version of this too? Less detailed and the spin isn't well defined as the low gravity has a single down no matter where you are on the map.

There's also this:
http://www.evilut.com/CTFM-EvilCylinder.html

That's some freaky warp zones and gravity displays there. You can fight on all sides. This guy's made more than a few maps like this...
Can't find file for package 'CoreTex'

Can you give me a link for ?
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

lol, all I have is CoreTexDetail.utx, CoreTexMetal.utx, CoreTexMisc.utx, CoreTexStone.utx and CoreTexWood.utx, but I don't have CoreTex.utx :)!
EDIT: Perhaps in this map?
http://www.evilut.com/DM-EvilTardis.html
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

medor wrote:ave found it in a other dm map :tu: