TUTORIAL: Unreal Tournament Audio & Visuals Tweaking Guide

Get some cool tips about how to tweak your UT graphic, gameplay, and much more!
Raynor
Adept

Re: TUTORIAL: Unreal Tournament Audio & Visuals Tweaking Gui

Post by Raynor »

I guess your only viable option would be upgrading your graphics card. Anything newer than your current one can dramatically improve things. Catch is that most likely you have legacy AGP card and these are little bit harder to pick up today (unless you plan to upgrade whole system).
Vash

Post by Vash »

HEllo.
I was missing playing Unreal 99, so i decided to install it. But i found some problems.
What ive done
Installed the UT GOTY edition. then bonus pack 4, then 436, then i put the open gl file (version 3.7), then i'm using the unrealtournament.ini of this forum.
What happens?
When i minimize the game, after i return to the game, sometimes it appear a crosshair (cross like) in the game. even in the menu or during the gameplay. it simply continues there, overposing the gameplay or the menu.
Other thing that happens is sometimes, a big part of the weapon don't appear. Don't know why.
The last thing is if i start some session with bot's, the game runs lot fast, even if in the game options, i put lower velocity..

After this, i put the 451 version, but it keeps the same..

I'm runing in windows 8, with nvidia gtx780

Hope to ear some help.

Thank u and sorry my english
Raynor
Adept

Post by Raynor »

That crosshair is in my knowledge a bug. I've encountered it many times when I've alt-tabbed out and have to restart game to get rid of it.

About gamespeed, have you tried this?
- In some unfortunate cases (that more likely applies for systems with AMD CPUs and laptop computers) you need to disable AMD Cool'n'Quiet or Intel SpeedStep features from system BIOS to maintain smooth gameplay (where game does not exceed normal framerates so it will run at hectic and inconstant speeds).
Also double check your UnrealTournament.ini FrameRateLimit part.
If it does not work, then you could try this custom UT launcher (haven't tested it myself): http://coding.hanfling.de/launch/
Vash

Post by Vash »

What is the frameratelimit value?
Probably i won't change the bios configuration, once the speed problem is only with the bot's....
I will try after my friend instal ut and after i create a game and then i can see if the speed problem continues..

Thank u.
Raynor
Adept

Post by Raynor »

Look inside System\UnrealTournament.ini
It should be something like this:

[OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice]
FrameRateLimit=62
PossessedPacman
Novice

Post by PossessedPacman »

Hi! Thanks so much for this tutorial! Its working brilliantly on my ATI 7770 HD!

I just have one problen: some weapons are only seen half and some weapons dont even show up! Anybody have this issue? I've downloaded some new UTX file separately since the s3fix doenst work with me (windows7 says it has stopped working after 1 second) and now I don;t know whether it is a wrong UTX file or a setting in my ini.. I hope anybody can help me!
Thanks!
rsbloom44
Experienced

Post by rsbloom44 »

PossessedPacman wrote:Hi! Thanks so much for this tutorial! Its working brilliantly on my ATI 7770 HD!

I just have one problen: some weapons are only seen half and some weapons dont even show up! Anybody have this issue? I've downloaded some new UTX file separately since the s3fix doenst work with me (windows7 says it has stopped working after 1 second) and now I don;t know whether it is a wrong UTX file or a setting in my ini.. I hope anybody can help me!
Thanks!

Try setting ZRangeHack=True in whatever video driver you are using.
PossessedPacman
Novice

Post by PossessedPacman »

Thanks! I will tonight!
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

Oh, never seent his thread, here's my problem: I use ALT to crouch. When I crouch and move laterally (ALT+Q or ALT+D which are my strafing keys), I hear windows go "boing", like when you're trying to type something in a field which is already full.
Any idea how to prevent that (I guess it'smore windows-related than UT, but it doesn't happen in other games...)
You must construct additional pylons.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Maybe should you rethink the usage of the ALT key. :wink:
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

medor wrote:no need to leave the key pressed
Alt=Toggle bDuck | OnRelease Toggle bRun

what is your setting here ?
[WinDrv.WindowsClient]
UseDirectInput=True
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

papercoffee wrote:Maybe should you rethink the usage of the ALT key. :wink:
I don't see why, I've been using it to crouch in all games and never had a problem in either Half Life, Quake, STALKER, Crysis, or even Unreal, UT2003, UT2004, Unreal 2... Only UT99 seems to have the problem.

@medor: I have directinput activated.
You must construct additional pylons.
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:
Hellkeeper wrote:Oh, never seent his thread, here's my problem: I use ALT to crouch. When I crouch and move laterally (ALT+Q or ALT+D which are my strafing keys), I hear windows go "boing", like when you're trying to type something in a field which is already full.
Any idea how to prevent that (I guess it'smore windows-related than UT, but it doesn't happen in other games...)
I use an AutoHotKey macro to re-map the ALT key. I always blamed Bill Gates for this :D

something like

Code: Select all

#IfWinActive Unreal Tournament
~Alt::
Send {h down}
Send {h Up}
return
or

Code: Select all

LAlt::
Send {h down}
Send {h Up}
return
I know there's going to be a slight increase of processing and slight lag time if you use something like this, but it's probably not a whole lot

Any change of subject a little here, step 2, @Raynor. Can you explain the S3TC_Fix.zip to me, am I correct if I say it patches some of the cd2 textures to be compatible with servers that use the 'net textures'.

can you confirm it doesn't make it compatible with 'server texture' servers while causing any other problems.

(I'm only bringing this up because I thought that patch is outdated and may be likely to cause more harm than good)

Here's step 2 alt method: if you use cd2 textures and experience sliding players on some servers, try overwriting the Textures/XbpFX.utx with the cd1 texture or anything from diehard's site (They are all fixed as of years ago, but after this guide was made)
rsbloom44
Experienced

Post by rsbloom44 »

try turning sticky keys off? i think if you press shift 5 times you can disable it. i binded alt to crouch and I have no problems moving around
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Time for a worthy addition to this thread.
Over at OldUnreal, Skywolf has done a variety of benchmarks using all the current main renderers and a beta DX10.
http://www.oldunreal.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/ ... 1412865302
The tests were done on a variety of PCs and GFX cards, and a choice of specific maps.

Tests were done using an unreleased Unreal beta, so they will not be the same as UT.
However since Smiftsch has taken over the renderer development, these tests will reflect the newer renderers now available for UT.
http://www.oldunreal.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?board=2

The tests were more surprising than anyone expected, so it could be worth replicating them on UT (it will need to be the same PCs to mean anything).
OpenGL users may not like what they see.