TUTORIAL: Unreal Tournament Audio & Visuals Tweaking Guide

Get some cool tips about how to tweak your UT graphic, gameplay, and much more!
darksonny
Adept

Re: TUTORIAL: Unreal Tournament Audio & Visuals Tweaking Gui

Post by darksonny »

Dr.Flay wrote: Windows 10 needs the full DirectX 9 runtime distro to be installed.
It needs Admin access and DEP exclusion.
It also needs the CPU to be at 100% speed during install, or the use of a multicore patch.

Other than that the info here still stands, as changing any of the settings will have the same results on any OS.
This tutorial is for the older renderers from 2008, so does not include the newer functions in the OldUnreal versions, and also has functions that are now obsolete.
Hi DR Flay, by including into dep exclusion list do you mean including unrealtournament.exe in it or the entire folder?

As for the CPU thing, Is there a multicore patch for win 10 ( I though it was for win 7 and vista tho)?

It would be cool to update this great guide every new OS is released so this way everybody would stay informed about the issues from a new OS like Win10 (and future releases from win), thanks for the info mate
Carbon
Inhuman
Personal rank: Hoarder.

Post by Carbon »

Interestingly, I have all of the Unreal series games on a separate drive from C. After doing a fresh install of Win 10 (from Win 7), I just double clicked the .exe files and everything just worked. I didn't have to mess around with DX9 files at all.

Seems that a fresh UT install is different that way.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

@darksonny The multicore patch you are thinking of is for older dual-core AMD CPUs.
I mean the patched UT.exe which also locks the CPU to core-0 (old 32bit games can be flaky when jumping around the cores)

@Carbon Yup I have found exactly the same. Moving an old install to a new drive is much less grief, even when the CPU speed will now be probably higher.
Do you mean a fresh Win10 on upgraded from Win7, or a clean Win10, but you previously had Win7 ?
An updated Win7 should still contain the previous DX files.
darksonny
Adept

Post by darksonny »

Dr.Flay wrote:@darksonny The multicore patch you are thinking of is for older dual-core AMD CPUs.
I mean the patched UT.exe which also locks the CPU to core-0 (old 32bit games can be flaky when jumping around the cores)
Okay thanks
Phorce
Experienced
Personal rank: Sgt. Nutz

Post by Phorce »

I installed Unreal again and I'm confused already, LOL :loool: .... can I use this renderer for Unreal Gold ? Otherwise what is the recommended renderer ? Cheers.
"Weapons! ... for all occasions." Bill Hicks
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

You may not have noticed, but this is a guide for UT99 in a UT99 site.
Unreal has it's own renderers which are included with the 227 update.
If you specifically don't want the 227 update, renderers have been made for earlier versions.
http://www.oldunreal.com/downloads.html
Phorce
Experienced
Personal rank: Sgt. Nutz

Post by Phorce »

Thanks. Thought you covered Unreal as well for some reason.
"Weapons! ... for all occasions." Bill Hicks
AndryxaXP
Novice

Post by AndryxaXP »

For comparison, imagine 2 Scrin. the second Redeemer beyond the field HUD. What you need to change the settings so that it does not get out of the edge of the display?
Attachments
UnrealTournament 2016-12-19 22-55-18-42.jpg
UnrealTournament 2016-12-19 22-55-15-03.jpg
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

FOV Angle
Carbon
Inhuman

Post by Carbon »

Dr.Flay wrote: Do you mean a fresh Win10 on upgraded from Win7, or a clean Win10, but you previously had Win7 ?
An updated Win7 should still contain the previous DX files.
Dang...sorry I missed this reply.

I did a fresh install of Win 10 and had no trouble just double clicking the .exe file and playing. My installs are not on C: and it really was that easy....like nothing changed at all.
sn260591
Average

Post by sn260591 »

AndryxaXP wrote:For comparison, imagine 2 Scrin. the second Redeemer beyond the field HUD. What you need to change the settings so that it does not get out of the edge of the display?
ZRangeHack=True
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Heh, I did not know that ZRangeHack might help here, I was thinking at FOV because by "zooming" a bit (or more) weapon won't bug that much crosshair...
I figured that in some different angles of polygons ZRangeHack is helpful for smoothing margins - it also depends on map construction.
Dosgamer

Post by Dosgamer »

May I request instructions on how to install Unreal GOTY '99 on Windows 10? I just bought on Steam, not having much luck in Windows 10. Basically the game starts with a black background, then I see blue "precaching" and nothing else happens. I hear the background music, but no graphics. I tried all changing the graphics types from D3D to openGL, software, none will work. The only way I can get it to work is when I relaunch it, it gives the error that it did not run properly and give the open to run in safe mode. That actually will load and run, but is windowed and I can only get a max of 800X600 resolution. I thought that safe mode basically runs the software rendering so I dont' know why it wont run at least in software rendering. Can someone help me out?

After I download from steam what installtion steps do I need to follow?
Carbon
Inhuman

Post by Carbon »

Go to page 1 of this thread and do all of the steps regarding installing new renderers and the appropriate .ini changes (all listed in the OP). I suggest using OpenGL, but if you want to use D3D, then I believe you will have to set MouseSmoothing to "false" in the UnrealTournament.ini.

So, the instructions are on page 1 with some other ideas spread throughout the thread. Re-typing it all is a bit of a chore, but it's all here.

Dr. Flay has put up another excellent tutorial here.
AndryxaXP
Novice

Post by AndryxaXP »

Direct3d9. This skybox is somehow corrupted. The red moon constantly haunts me, wherever I look. Your suggestions? :shock:
Attachments
UnrealTournament 2017-03-18 11-21-53-66.jpg
UnrealTournament 2017-03-18 11-21-40-34.jpg
UnrealTournament 2017-03-18 11-21-37-21.jpg