Setting refresh rate with default driver

Get some cool tips about how to tweak your UT graphic, gameplay, and much more!
rsbloom44
Experienced

Setting refresh rate with default driver

Post by rsbloom44 »

I know you can download the latest opengl/direct3d renders and it has the option in there, but without those is it possible to set your refresh rate with the default drivers?
UT99.org

Re: Setting refresh rate with default driver

Post by UT99.org »

medor wrote:UnrealTournament.ini
[WinDrv.WindowsClient]
MinDesiredFrameRate=75.000000 (set as your desktop)
rsbloom44
Experienced

Post by rsbloom44 »

Thanks for your help, that only changes the frame rate though. My desktop is 85hz I would like to try and get 120hz with the default UT driver. I'm not sure if it's possible without 3rd party tools.
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

medor wrote:MinDesiredFrameRate=85.000000

you can try 120 but it is pointless .. more , eyes would not see the difference
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

Actually running UT over 100fps will lead to problems, or in another words, it may crash heavily...
Raynor
Adept

Post by Raynor »

medor, MinDesiredFramerate determinates when UT will reduce visuals in order to maintain desired framerate and it is not releated with refresh rate that OP has asked for.
rsbloom44, why not to use newer OpenGL that works better with latest hardware? Otherwise I would recommand using your video adapter's control panel (AMD or nvidia) to force desired refresh rate for specific application.
rsbloom44
Experienced

Post by rsbloom44 »

Thanks for the replies. I use the latest opengl normally, I was just bored today and wanted to do a fresh install with the default drivers. I can get it 120hz with ATI Tray Tools, but I was just hoping I missed a line in the UT.ini. I guess there isn't a way without 3rd party assistance.

also.. Is that true that UT will have problems with 100 + FPS? I have never experienced any I typically use 200. The only problem is past 250 the game speeds up.
Raynor
Adept

Post by Raynor »

Issues start to happen when UT engine exceeds 200 frames per second. Some animations (for example scrolling billboards on some maps) do not work properly anymore and gamespeed itself goes too fast. Therefore it is highly recommanded that you limit your framerate below that value to maintain consistent speed.
Personally I limit my framerate to match with refresh rate.
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

medor wrote:So if you set desktop to 100

UnrealTournament.ini

[WinDrv.WindowsClient]
MinDesiredFrameRate=100.000000

[OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice]
FrameRateLimit=100
Raynor
Adept

Post by Raynor »

If you want to maintain visual quality over framerate then you should set MinDesiredFrameRate=1. It ensures that UT won't downscale effects if game can't keep up with desired MinDesiredFramerate.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Human eyes cannot see the difference above 30 fps, so technically you are wasting your time.
If you have a flat-screen monitor it will most likely only do 60-75Hz so again you are wasting your time rendering frames you never see.

It is useful to render 2 or 3 frames ahead so there is no lag, so I opt for 30-60 fps with my CRT monitor running at 100-120Hz
My monitor is never waiting for frames or over-whelmed with too many frames.

Too easily access the renderer setting for tweaking press the "TAB" key and type "preferences".
rsbloom44
Experienced

Post by rsbloom44 »

I'm also on a crt. 75hz on a crt drives me crazy I can definitively feel the difference. At 85hz it's tolerable, but at 100hz it feels perfect. I can't tell the difference between anything higher than 100hz but I just like to settle on 120hz.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Nice. 120Hz and 60fps is good.