3D Modelling with google sketchup ( + obj exporter )

Get some cool tips about how to tweak your UT graphic, gameplay, and much more!
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

3D Modelling with google sketchup ( + obj exporter )

Post by Creavion »

Blender is not the only free to use 3D modelling software (ok lets forget about the commercial pro version here).
In case anybody tried it out somwhere in the past, you might have noticed you are screwed if you want to export your work, since the free version lacks of mentioned possibilities.
I have installed Version 8.0.3117 and can confirm - without detailed tests however - the attached plugin is somehow working. It was somehow 'satisfying' to find it after some researching.
ObjExporter.zip
(5.53 KiB) Downloaded 654 times
objExporter.jpg
Just put the rb file into the plugins directory and you should be able to execute it witout problems.
The software is rather easy to use without a big learning curve.
For those who are interested, have fun.
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
Wises
Godlike
Personal rank: ...

Re: 3D Modelling with google sketchup ( + obj exporter )

Post by Wises »

google sketchup is indeed a quick and easy 3d modeling solution.now all we need to figgure out is how to import back into UT :)
Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

Wises wrote:google sketchup is indeed a quick and easy 3d modeling solution.now all we need to figgure out is how to import back into UT :)
Unreal 227 can be at least used as tool, it allows you to import obj in the mesh browser and to convert them to brushes.
About to be non-active
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Higor
Godlike

Post by Higor »

MilkShape3d does all the between-the-formats magic.
I used sculptris for caves and landscapes, then stripped polys (and reduced count) using MilkShape3d alone.
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

Higor wrote:MilkShape3d does all the between-the-formats magic.
I used sculptris for caves and landscapes, then stripped polys (and reduced count) using MilkShape3d alone.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^
The only problem with it is that it's such a pain to use it that I have nightmares every single time I have to model something there.
Want to make a hole? All modelers have slice, cuts, boolean tools... in MS3D if you have to painstakingly do it by hand from the start.
MS3D is still what I use for UT, only because of the features Higor mentioned. Would Blender have similar reliable tools, and I would immediately jump to it.
To not mention that for UT animation, MS3D is still the best to export (skeletal to vertex animation anyone?).

But Sketchup is nice in its own ways, but nothing I would use for something more serious.
UTPe
Masterful
Personal rank: Dude

Post by UTPe »

Google SketchUp has been available by much time as alternative tool for building maps, I already wrote a post about this argument more than 2 years ago on Team CoN website.
Exporting of 3D geometry from other tools has always been a critical step but an interesting plugin was developed for SketchUp a couple of years ago. This plugin, called HSKP2UNR, lets you export directly into .t3d format and use the brush in UEd 2.0. The original webpage is now closed (I couldn't find any mirrors on the web) and I really don't know if the project is still alive, anyway I can post the latest version of the plugin (v1.03) which is fully working. As far as I can remember from previous mapping tests, this is the only plugin with a correct exporting procedure to unreal .t3d format.
Also in this case, you just need to copy the .rb file into the plugins directory (the plugin works with SketchUp v8.x and probably with previous versions, i.e. 6.x/7.x).

At the moment I'm a bit busy with other stuff but I would like to test the 3D texture feature of Google SketchUp to build a map similar to DM-(AMLP)Alpha-B, a well-known map for freestyle sniper.
Attachments
plugin_screenshot.png
HSKP2UNR_v103_SketchUp.zip
(28.55 KiB) Downloaded 261 times
Last edited by UTPe on Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Personal map database: http://www.ut99maps.net

"These are the days that we will return to one day in the future only in memories." (The Midnight)
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Thanks UTPe... :tu:

@Crev
I will test this tool too ...as I said it earlier, I did never used sketchup. Can you show me and the other noobs some good tutorial?
Creavion
Godlike

Post by Creavion »

No I cant. I only checked how to import and use materials, anything else is rather simple. It is really self-explanatory and besides I dont have the time for something like that (any longer). Also I am very sure you can find plenty of tutorials on youtube.
@UTPe : Nice one. :thuup:
I only miss there some kind of Vertices-to-grid plugin or something like that.

Edit: UTPes one is a lot better... really nice find
http://rhin.crai.archi.fr/rld/author_details.php?id=94
This site has also various additional plugins.
About to be non-active
Wises
Godlike
Personal rank: ...

Post by Wises »

perhaps someone could do a simple tutorial on how to build a house and import into ued and texture it and place in map?
for memory it takes less then 10 minutes to build a 3bedroom house using sketchup.