3D modelling with 3DStudioMax

Get some cool tips about how to tweak your UT graphic, gameplay, and much more!
UTPe
Masterful
Personal rank: Dude

3D modelling with 3DStudioMax

Post by UTPe »

As Creavion has posted about Google SketchUp, I use the occasion to write some lines about modelling with 3D StudioMax for UT99.

3DStudioMax is a well-known commercial software used for professional 3D modelling. In the past (and maybe still recently ?), it was also used to build UT99 maps: this software has a lot of features and can be very powerful to create architectural brushes.
A special plugin was developed many years ago, the Undying T3D Tool, to export/import geometry (.t3d) to/from UEd 2.0 and the other way round. The Undying T3D Tool was coded to build some levels of Clive Barker's Undying, a famous game released on 2001 and based on Unreal Engine 1.x. You can easily find infos about this game online, it looks like there is a community still alive (a video sample on YouTube: http://youtu.be/RBZUYELqe3Y). I can remember that a UT99 map called DM-1on1-Torment, that maybe some of you already know, has been obtained from this game.
Pay attention to the guide file: this is not a home-made plugin, this is a professional plugin so you'll find nice features and good control over exporting/importing.
The plugin officially works with 3DStudioMax v3.1 and v4.x so if you have one of these softwares, you can give it a try. It also works fine with my 3DStudio Max v7.x but I don't know if it can also work with newer versions (3DStudioMax v3.1 is a very very old piece of software, I think it's very difficult to find it, maybe impossible but on the other hand the Web offers endless possibilities...who knows ?).

regards,
Pietro
Attachments
undying_t3d_tool.zip
(12.81 KiB) Downloaded 222 times
3dstudiomax_screenshot.png
Personal map database: http://www.ut99maps.net

"These are the days that we will return to one day in the future only in memories." (The Midnight)
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Re: 3D modelling with 3DStudioMax

Post by Feralidragon »

Nice.
The only reason I don't use 3DStudio is exactly the fact of being paid, and not being exactly cheap, and with an equally full featured free alternative such as Blender... well, you know where I am getting to (although Blender is a bit weird in their controls, but they are all easily customizable so after that it's plain awesome).
Anyway, 3DStudio seems to be very nice and whoever has a copy, should take the time to learn it too.
Wises
Godlike
Personal rank: ...

Post by Wises »

cinema4d / maya seem to be taking over this arena if I'm not mistaken
unfortunately I don't know if they have import/export options for the unreal engine.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

I remember (many years ago) our company getting sent a copy of Cinema4D (I may have encouraged Maxon a little bit).
The design crew were blown away by it's performance. The render times beat anything they'd seen.
It was also far more intuitive to use, so they became far more productive.

It came with some footage of a Sci-Fi/horror film that had yet to be released. All the CGI was done with Cinema4D.
That film when it was finally released, it went by the name of "The Cube", and turned-out to be a bit of a cult-classic.

The main reason I persuaded them to look at using Cinema4D, is that Maxon were also an Amiga developer, so I knew the code would be small and well optimised.
...and I was hoping to get my hands on an Amiga copy I could use at home :D
No such luck :(
I was stuck trying to use "Imagine 3D" and "Lightwave".

BTW. Paper, Ferali, Shouldn't these be moved to tips or tutorials ?
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

Dr.Flay wrote:BTW. Paper, Ferali, Shouldn't these be moved to tips or tutorials ?
Indeed.
Moved (and also moved the other 3D modelling one too).
Wises
Godlike

Post by Wises »

UTPe wrote:As Creavion has posted about Google SketchUp, I use the occasion to write some lines about modelling with 3D StudioMax for UT99.

regards,
Pietro
be good to see some kinda tutorials for this.. i'd be kean to give it a blast aye.. so what sorts of things can be modeled.. like player meshes and buildings etc?.. sounds interesting.. must check youtube and see it anythings available..

I know ppl use camtasia/hypercam to make video tuts.. but recently i have found techsmiths - snagit to be of good use and very small compressed .mp4's can be generated.
Creavion
Godlike
Personal rank: About to be non-act.

Post by Creavion »

so what sorts of things can be modeled.. like player meshes and buildings etc?
Let`s just hope, this was a rhetorical question...
The limits are usually only within your imagination and your skills.
About to be non-active
My very last UT map project: CTF-FacePalm (tropical CTF-Face remake)
Why do I leave? click here
What I want to do next: Joining an UDK team (uncertain however) and improve 3D modelling and texture editing skills
Thanks to those who visibly supported me until/at the end!
My reactivated account on indiedb.com.
Wises
Godlike

Post by Wises »

found something interesting on the subject;
http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:3D_ ... And_Import
UTPe
Masterful

Post by UTPe »

A last minute find about mapping with 3DStudioMax.

Jamlander is a set of plugins developed for 3DStudioMax that can export static meshes, brushes, movers, triggers and much more into Unreal Editor. These plugins were built to aid in developing maps for UT2003/2004 but the simple brush export feature can probably work well also with UEd 2.0.

info: http://planetunreal.gamespy.com/View.ph ... ail&id=696

As far as I understood, these tools don't work with 3DStudioMax v7.x or newer versions but only with older ones (v4.x, v5.x and v6.x)
Attachments
jamlander_300.zip
(335.7 KiB) Downloaded 174 times

"These are the days that we will return to one day in the future only in memories." (The Midnight)
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Great find ...I'm sure someone can and will use this.
Hm... an older 3DStudioMax version!? Darn, why can't the put it online like Adobe did with CS2.
UT Sniper (SJA94)
Inhuman
Personal rank: Retard

Post by UT Sniper (SJA94) »

You can get it for free, but you have to be a student or something along those lines to be able to get it, but the last time i checked it was almost a year ago now, it may be different now.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

UT Sniper (SJA94) wrote:You can get it for free, but you have to be a student or something along those lines to be able to get it, but the last time i checked it was almost a year ago now, it may be different now.
Yeah but I doubt you will get an older version of 3DSMax...
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Spectra
Masterful
Personal rank: Nullified!

Post by Spectra »

I was having 3DS Max 9. I deleted it because I was lacking space and Milkshape is better and Easy and it also has a good connection with UT and other games.

Not sure Gmax is like 3DS 9??
UTPe
Masterful

Post by UTPe »

Rocky wrote:Not sure Gmax is like 3DS 9??
I don't know Gmax, I never installed it but, in theory, it shoud be more simple than 3DStudioMax, anyway you can give it a try (it's freeware).
You should search for some Gmax importers/exporters...

info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gmax
download: http://www.turbosquid.com/gmax

This link could be useful to understand some aspects about modelling with Gmax
http://www.turbosquid.com/Forum/Index.c ... eadID/8729