UT crashing computer

Get some cool tips about how to tweak your UT graphic, gameplay, and much more!
King Henri
Average
Personal rank: It depends

UT crashing computer

Post by King Henri »

I'm writing this if some of u have had this kind of problem before. Lately during online playing UT or watching UTV on Clnabase it happens that during particular CTF maps (AreaN23, Gataka-SE, Cynosure, Orbital) my ocasionaly computer locks up and then reboots itself. My computer is AMD Dual Core processor, 1GB RAM, ATI X1650 graphic card. At first I thought that it was some hardware problem, like low power supply or graphic card problem. But computer oterwise works just fine. And no I didn't overclock my graphic card or CPU so I don't know if overheating causes the problem. Then i got suggestion to update the drivers for graphic card which I did. At first I thought it helped but then the crashings stated again. Now I'm becoming desperate :cry: as I lack the solution of the problem. The only idea I have at the moment is that the problem could maybe be in OpenGL but I haven't yet tackled this problem. I was thinking of using an updated version to see if it helps.

So if anybody has somekind of suggestion please let me know :help: .
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Re: UT crashing computer

Post by Feralidragon »

I know there's problems between AMD Dual Core CPUs and Unreal Engine 1, but it's a graphical and performance problem, never heard about rebooting...

Update your OpenGL driver (UT one of course), because that may be the problem, otherwise make a scan to your computer (viruses and spyware stuff), because you are receiveing blue screens, but your Windows (I guess you're using Windows) is set to reboot instead.

Other thing that I know from Dual Cores general, is that for example: Nvidia + Intel Dual Core + Windows XP SP2 = random reboot, and there's a hotfix from Microsoft to solve that, but I see that's not your case (that was mine), but for you, I think that may be a problem like mine, so I tell you what you have to do:
- Download and Install the AMD Dual Core Optimizer from AMD site (I think that what's called)
- Disable the Cool n' Quiet CPU stuff on BIOS

If it still reboots, sorry...
King Henri
Average

Post by King Henri »

Thx Feralidragon for advice. Yes I use WinXP SP2. Forgot to mention it before :oops: .
I've already have installed AMD optimizer before (solved the 300 FPS problem :mrgreen:) and Cool'n'quiet is disabled too as I've checked the last time.
I'll try updating OpenGL and see if there's any improvement.
{SBZ}_BaDaSS
Average

Post by {SBZ}_BaDaSS »

King Henri wrote:Thx Feralidragon for advice. Yes I use WinXP SP2. Forgot to mention it before :oops: .
I've already have installed AMD optimizer before (solved the 300 FPS problem :mrgreen:) and Cool'n'quiet is disabled too as I've checked the last time.
I'll try updating OpenGL and see if there's any improvement.
Your issue is not a software problem. Going by experience you might have a memory stick failure. How much memory do you have? How many sticks? If you have multiple try to eliminate one stick at a time and see if the problem goes away.... :mrgreen:
Lee_Stricklin
Adept

Post by Lee_Stricklin »

I used to have that same problem on my friend's Riva TNT/Celeron powered system a few months ago. The board on that thing would screw up if you tried to add a RAM stick and the power supply blew up (smoke and sparks included) less than a month later after we started playing older games on it.
King Henri
Average

Post by King Henri »

Yesterday I've updated OpenGL, but when I was going to change it in Preference I've noticed that I've beeen running all this time on D3D renderer. Now I've changed to OpenGL. I've managed to watch the whole 3 map CTF war on UTV yesterday without rebooting :tu: . I think it's a good sign. I'll see in the next few days if this has finally solved my problem.
imitation

Post by imitation »

one times admin crash me user.ini file... huh i have got 3 copy of it :)
(i use aimbot so he wanna "kill" me ) :)
King Henri
Average

Post by King Henri »

New version of OpenGL solved the problem. No more crashes :gj:
mosrs

Post by mosrs »

I have a Intel Core 2 Duo and UT crash sometimes.
I'll try to upgrade my OpenGL driver.

Txs