UT:GOTY Steam mouse problem

Get some cool tips about how to tweak your UT graphic, gameplay, and much more!
skulz87
Novice

UT:GOTY Steam mouse problem

Post by skulz87 »

Hello folks, I picked up UT:GOTY through Steam for some Nostalgic fun.

As I guessed, It had some issues like resolution and audio problems I solved them however Im still having this mouse problem.

It feels like VSync is ON, but its OFF through .ini files and to be sure I set it off through GPU panel...

Mouse feels like heavy it feels like responding a bit late and I cant play like that...

I tried almost every fix including MarkC_Windows_8+7_MouseFix but it didnt change then I removed it because It feels horrible on desktop especially when I have widescreen monitor.

Someone help, thanks!
UT99.org

Re: UT:GOTY Steam mouse problem

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:turn mouse smoothing off
skulz87
Novice

Post by skulz87 »

billybill wrote:turn mouse smoothing off
Hey Billy, Mouse smoothing is already off, i never use mouse smoothing in games.

The effect isnt as bad as Mouse smoothing turned on but still i feel its a bit heavy than other 120 games I play including CS:GO and Half-Life.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Do you play UT in wide screen?
What mouse do you have ...is the mouse acceleration on?
And which dpi did you set up in the mouse driver?
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

First you need to update your UT renderers, and possibly replace the EXE with one of the multi-core patched versions.
Read Raynors thread "Tweak Your UT Graphics To The Maximum!"
http://www.ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=373
You can find it always in the header of the site.

Use these 3 posts to decide what fixes updates you require
http://hooksutplace.freeforums.org/unre ... -f104.html

I am aware of issues with Win7 enabling mouse acceleration during games, even if disabled, but can't remember if there was a specific fix.
Raynor
Adept

Post by Raynor »

Under Win7 mouse acceleration is confusingly named as pointer precision. You can disable it by unchecking this box.

skulz87
Novice

Post by skulz87 »

Dr.Flay wrote:First you need to update your UT renderers, and possibly replace the EXE with one of the multi-core patched versions.
Read Raynors thread "Tweak Your UT Graphics To The Maximum!"
http://www.ut99.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=373
You can find it always in the header of the site.

Use these 3 posts to decide what fixes updates you require
http://hooksutplace.freeforums.org/unre ... -f104.html

I am aware of issues with Win7 enabling mouse acceleration during games, even if disabled, but can't remember if there was a specific fix.
Ive solved audio and graphics problem with that guide, Im running on intel i5-2500k processor with gtx 560 ti, do I still need the multi-core patch? I thought that was for AMD processors.

From that site, do I still need the 227 Patch? Im running Steam version.

Btw those guides confused more :(
Raynor wrote:Under Win7 mouse acceleration is confusingly named as pointer precision. You can disable it by unchecking this box.

Yes, I tried this but it didnt solve my problem, it made my mouse worse, when its unchecked like when Im on desktop, I need to drag it from one way to another to reach the other part of the screen, i think my problem isnt acceleration at all, because I feel like my mouse responds a bit late than other games Im playing.

The problem is like mouse smooth enabled but not that bad, i mean its playable but i still feel its responding a bit late.

Heres my specs:

Intel i5-2500k
Asus p8z68 pro
Gtx 560ti
8gb ram
OS Windows 7 x64-bit Ultimate edition

Everything is up-to-date, I dont have problems like this with other games I know this happens because the game is outdated for my hardware.

Can anyone tell me which patches do I need exactly to be officially fully updated Unreal Tournament? those guides are very confusing, and Im not sure if I should get them cause Steam automatically updates the latest versions.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

skulz87 wrote:do I still need the 227 Patch?
227 patch is for Unreal1 not for Unreal Tournament.
Raynor
Adept

Post by Raynor »

To play online, you need patch 436, that's the latest.
I forgot to add that under Preferences > Imput be sure to select "Direct Imput" and deselect "Mouse Smoothing". Do you happen to have any Logitech mouse software installed? That can interference mouse movement in UT. Also mouse lag can happen if you have VSync enabled either under UnrealTournament.ini or nvida/amd catalyst control panel.
skulz87
Novice

Post by skulz87 »

Raynor wrote:To play online, you need patch 436, that's the latest.
I forgot to add that under Preferences > Imput be sure to select "Direct Imput" and deselect "Mouse Smoothing". Do you happen to have any Logitech mouse software installed? That can interference mouse movement in UT. Also mouse lag can happen if you have VSync enabled either under UnrealTournament.ini or nvida/amd catalyst control panel.
Direct imput is on and Mouse Smoothing is off, I have VSync disabled and to be sure I checked from both .ini and nvidia control panel, I dont have any mouse software installed, its kind of strange because other old FPS like Half-Life 1 doesnt have this lag,heavy effect.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Steam will not update UT in any way, as Epic do not make the updates since patch 436. They are now made by the community (people like us).
The multi-core patches are for any CPU with more than 1 core. It does not matter who made it, UT99 does not like multi-cores and dynamic CPU speeds.
AMD have their own generic patch for using older games on multi-core systems. It is not required with the newer AMDs.

Each of the posts has a short explanation at the top. If you do not read them you will not understand the lists.
At no point do I say install 227. What I said about the OMP renderers is;
These are the same as the ones available for the new Unreal 227 patch. Once out of beta, they will also be the same versions used for the UT99-SDK.
Post 1. is a list of everything you should currently have in a full GOTY install.
It is all listed, so users with a basic install can update IF THEY NEED. That section is labelled "REFERENCE". It also includes links to the newest Chaos and Rocket Arena mods (steam cannot and will not update these).
At the bottom of the page are the fixes available for the bonus-packs that you will have in a complete GOTY edition (everyone needs these, including you).

Post 2. is "optional" (but important) engine extras that will add more functionality to UT. None of these are required for a "normal" install, but you will have a better, faster UT with better video and audio, and better use of graphics and system RAM.
It also includes links for adding more game servers to UT, and sites that track/monitor UT games.
Steam will not fix or update the obsolete game trackers in the UT ini. You have to do it manually.

Post 3. is more "optional" fixes and addons but will pimp UT with fixed and enhanced;
GUI and menus,
Console and demo manager,
Server-browser, (shows country flags and more info)
Player, bot and team selection,
Bot AI (several choices)
HD Textures,
Relics and pickups and weapons, (Wormbos Enhanced and Xpickups)
Ammo and hit-location physics,
UberGore,
CTF flag system.

Again none of that is "necessary" but, again steam will not give you any of it.
Even though these are also optional, I consider them my base install for the 21st century on anything with XP or above.
Emelian
Novice

Post by Emelian »

Hey, i have had the same problem with UT2000 GOTY:
mouse input lag with direct 3d mode and inevitable low brightness with openGL mode (but with no input lag). Although with all new patches and well configured .ini file as well.

The solution for me was... http://kentie.net/article/d3d10drv/ THIS - Direct3d 10 renderer! It have fixed all the problems! No input lag, good speed (but not too high!), changeble brightness level.
I'm glad =D
noccer
Adept
Personal rank: Proud Terrorist

Post by noccer »

If you have triple buffering on (in ut options and/or nvidiaoptions (if you got an nvidia card)) switch it of.

>>You can't steal any ip (v4)adresses, there are exactly 4294967296 of them, and they will still exist when you wrote down all of them, or are stored in a (master)servers database ;)<<
maximdymok
Experienced

Post by maximdymok »

Are you sure you turned it off in the ini? SwapInterval has to be set to 0.
Also make sure you are running full screen and not windowed.
krush
Novice

Post by krush »

hi, i'am new here...and also new to the game (played a bit 15 years ago but i was 12 there) :p
now i try some old games and ut looks for me like a very nice game!
all what i want to say is: thanks for the guide! - the opengl renderer fixed all issues with my gog.com version(sound/mouse)!