Tutorial Request: Make custom flags

Get some cool tips about how to tweak your UT graphic, gameplay, and much more!
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Tutorial Request: Make custom flags

Post by Chamberly »

Hi, I'm wanting to request a tutorial of making a custom flag for CTF.

I only have Photoshop CS5 so I wish anyone to use CS5 to explain to show me. (Editing the texture and save it in what format...)
How to turn that texture into a flag, what to watch out and avoid for editing mistake in above.
Anything else that need to be specific and mentioned.

I know there is a tutorial in Medor's site but I feel that it's not sufficient enough for me.
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
UT99.org

Re: Tutorial Request: Make custom flags

Post by UT99.org »

medor wrote:My custom UT is ready for do flags with all folder and files for and Actor Class Browser True.

A tuto fr but with pictures and files to download http://unrealtournament.99.free.fr/foru ... ?f=9&t=173

Here for a 4 teams flag "ClanFlagsALL' http://unrealtournament.99.free.fr/utfi ... agsALL.rar

Here for HampFlagModels http://unrealtournament.99.free.fr/utfi ... Models.rar
Chamberly
Godlike

Post by Chamberly »

Medor...
I know there is a tutorial in Medor's site but I feel that it's not sufficient enough for me.
I rather make a custom flag from stratch...

& There is no tutorial for CS5 texturing for the flag. Make sense?
trajik
Novice

Post by trajik »

3O3REDflag_red.gif
3O3REDflag_red.gif (34.44 KiB) Viewed 5549 times
3O3BLUEflag_blue.gif
3O3BLUEflag_blue.gif (40.06 KiB) Viewed 5549 times
When you're done in PS, it should look like this.
Message me if you get stuck or need a pointer.
Chamberly
Godlike

Post by Chamberly »

I'm sorry but I requested a real tutorial here and so along the way someone else can learn to make them as well. Not just show and tell.
trajik
Novice

Post by trajik »

I was just trying to give you a visual of what it supposed to look like in the end, Something I wish I would've had when I started making flags .No, I'M Sorry for trying to be helpful.
Peace.
Whitey
Average
Personal rank: Bunny Tracker

Post by Whitey »

Here's how i'd do it.

1.- export the standard flag texture. It's in Ued texture browser. Botpack > TinyFont

2.- Open up into Cs5, Go to top Menu Bar >Imgage>Mode>RGB Colour

3.Edit flag How you want to(this is where it's up to your creativity) . But make sure the background is all the same colour as the Grey of original. (or edit the colour to all 0 and use that as background colour for masking)

4. Change back to Indexed Top Menu Bar>Image>Mode>Indexed Colour

5.Save as .BMP not Pcx

6. Import BMP into Mylevel Textures. (when imporrting click on the down bar to search for ALL files otherwise you wont find your .BMP flag) Make sure you tick Masked.

7. Now go to the flag in your level. Go into Properties>display>Skin>Mylevel>Your Flag Pic

Do this for both flags and use one for red one for blue. so 2 different flag texture imports in Mylevel for both flags.
Favourite-Weapons: Sniper & Shock Rifle
Favourite-Drink: coffee
Favourite-Games: UT-GOTY & VietCong
Favourite-Map: DM-Deck16][
Chamberly
Godlike

Post by Chamberly »

Spoiler
Ok, I did everything what you did but I'm having problem with 1 thing.
I think it will start from step 6, I did use Mylevelflag as the package name and the custom flag name. When I run a test start up, it just said it can't find it.
(Then I realized I have to save the texture file!) Oh never mind, I had to save the textures.... glad I caught up on that quickly. :loool:
Okie dokie, I think I did it alright. Thank you for showing me how to do it, I appreciate it!

Here is a preview that I did a little test to follow your instructions. Nothing expected to be perfect, just a little try it out thing here. lol.

Just a little notice, I don't know how I'm doing it wrong or what, but this is odd lol. I've came across this problem before and it's going to take hours for me to figure it out. Unless I have to see a proper flag adding tutorial somewhere, doubt I would find it.
1. I did got the red texture marked on the blue flag. Silly me. I don't know why it's not showing up on the other flag (the blue texture on the red), even tho I've set the flag texture on it.

2. Something I wanted to find out, I am guessing it wasn't covered under this tutorial? When I picked up the flag, the texture get replaced by default as for picking it up.

3. Had a little play and been confusing. :loool: A 2v2, using the Stealth mod, and chainsaw arena.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

The picked up flag is another model ... I had the same issue with my Christmas trees as flag replacement.
Chamberly
Godlike

Post by Chamberly »

papercoffee wrote:The picked up flag is another model ... I had the same issue with my Christmas trees as flag replacement.
...ouch!...
Whitey
Average
Personal rank: Bunny Tracker

Post by Whitey »

This may require a Mutator. As it is apart of the player? Or perhaps it's grabbing that original flag texture from the botpack.

I will continue to find out how it will work. Best bet to finding things like this out is opening a map up that you know uses custom flag textures and doesn't have flag change when pickup/dropped and reverse engineer (so to speak) how it works.

any recommendations?

as for 1 flag not coming up. You cant use same texture for both flags(i think this is the problem) So make 1 for red flag and a separate texture for blue.
Example.

Favourite-Weapons: Sniper & Shock Rifle
Favourite-Drink: coffee
Favourite-Games: UT-GOTY & VietCong
Favourite-Map: DM-Deck16][
Chamberly
Godlike

Post by Chamberly »

Going to do a quick reply and then edit this post for more information lol.

Maybe, as I went back and looked at a file which I downloaded awhile back, it come with a .u and .int to work on the server (xmas ladies, anyone?)
I'll have to find the map that use a custom flag texture without a .u file or maybe I'll have to insert that .u file and take a look. Or simply look at the file.
I did use different textures, but the same texture can work as well. For some reason, I either think the ut99's uED is quite buggy about this, or I'm not doing something properly. lol.

Edit:
Found the xmas ladies flag I think. http://medor.no-ip.org/index.php?dir=Ga ... xFlags.zip As an example prior to investigate.
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

medor wrote:xxx is the flag for the tuto ...you just need use all the sames names with replace xxx with the final mane you want

for the xmas ladies it's here http://unrealtournament.99.free.fr/utfi ... 4flags.rar

Image Image ImageImage
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image

xmas stuffs http://unrealtournament.99.free.fr/foru ... f=9&t=1600
ASLY

Post by ASLY »

medor wrote:xxx is the flag for the tuto ...you just need use all the sames names with replace xxx with the final mane you want

for the xmas ladies it's here http://unrealtournament.99.free.fr/utfi ... 4flags.rar

Image Image ImageImage
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image

xmas stuffs http://unrealtournament.99.free.fr/foru ... f=9&t=1600
Good one medor, thanks! :loool:
Chamberly
Godlike

Post by Chamberly »

Um, you didn't have to post the pic. Just digging into something to see how it works maybe. >.>"