Help with OpenGL

Get some cool tips about how to tweak your UT graphic, gameplay, and much more!
Lee_Stricklin
Adept

Help with OpenGL

Post by Lee_Stricklin »

My cousin is looking to get back into UT99 but is having SEVERE problems with getting his game to run. He said that the OpenGL 3.4 renderer worked better than all of the other ones, but it would still do stuff like: run in what he describes as "overclock mode", run inconsistently (fast one second, slow the next), or just plain slow. He is using a Dell XPS Laptop PC with: Windows XP (this is what he runs UT on, not sure if he has Professional Edition or not) dual-booted with Ubuntu 8.04, 2 GB RAM, I think a dual core Intel Core 2 Duo (2.4 GHz if I'm correct), and some kind of 256 MB graphics made by Nvidia I believe. Anyway I was hoping somebody can help me with this, my cousin and his dad (who just happens to be the toughest player I've seen in any FPS) used to play original UT back when it was still big and haven't found any other title that can compare to it.
King Henri
Average
Personal rank: It depends

Re: Help with OpenGL

Post by King Henri »

I have exactly the same problem. But trhsi problem occurs only when I play offline and when the games speeds up, you can't even dodge properly. And this only happens on certain maps. On IMO graphically more demanding maps this is not so obvious. Online strangely there is no problem with speeding up. So I'm hoping too that some expert here on OpenGL setup will have answer to this problem :tu: .
-=(FBT)=-corruption

Post by -=(FBT)=-corruption »

Well i had the same problem with the game speeding up way to much and this was online. The way I sorted it out was limiting the amount of frames that were being processed in the game, I set mine to about 80 FPS. Sorted my problem. I believe you have to type "preferences" whilst on the game and go to the render software drop down menu, from there you can set the maximum amount of frames that can be rendered. Sorry I cant be more specific I done this bloody ages ago.
Lee_Stricklin
Adept

Post by Lee_Stricklin »

-=(FBT)=-corruption wrote:Well i had the same problem with the game speeding up way to much and this was online. The way I sorted it out was limiting the amount of frames that were being processed in the game, I set mine to about 80 FPS. Sorted my problem. I believe you have to type "preferences" whilst on the game and go to the render software drop down menu, from there you can set the maximum amount of frames that can be rendered. Sorry I cant be more specific I done this bloody ages ago.
We already tried limiting the FPS and tweaking the swap interval and still nothing works correctly as well as caching static maps. I myself never got OpenGL to run properly on any of my computers and have always used either stock Direct3D or Direct3D 8, but my cousin said OpenGL worked better than Direct3D 8 so I figured it would be easier to tweak that.
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

Maybe it's not from the renderer, maybe is from the Dual Core CPU.

When running UT, try setting up its affinity to just one CPU core. :wink: See what happens.
King Henri
Average
Personal rank: It depends

Post by King Henri »

Feralidragon wrote:Maybe it's not from the renderer, maybe is from the Dual Core CPU.

When running UT, try setting up its affinity to just one CPU core. :wink: See what happens.
No it's not that. That's solved (at least I can say that for myself). Then it's unplayable. Here in this case you can still play but the speeding occurs in intervals. For example when u move forward in game u hear the steps. Once the speeding starts u here like u would start running. And during that time I can't dodge for example.
AltTab
Novice

Post by AltTab »

Hmm try this
Go to http://ut-files.com/ then click on Utilities then click on Dual_Core_UT_Fix.zip
(Works for Dual Quad core)
Place it in your system folder

Hope it works for ya