Ut server - redirect issues ?

Get some cool tips about how to tweak your UT graphic, gameplay, and much more!
sektor2111
Godlike

Ut server - redirect issues ?

Post by sektor2111 »

Little tutorial for dummy admins fake PC users.

Sometimes I really don't get why we have files missing from redirect since this is not a hard management for any common PC user.
Couple of hints >
Server must have a backup copy in your Win system with all functional stuff ready anytime for any map-test.

There are file handling applications freebies as FreeCommanderXE && the rest...

Browse those folders one by one as follows >
- in System folder type CMD perhaps for a normal user that black thing with a prompter is called command prompt aka DOS, yeah no stupid mouse is required here, everything is on keyboard - has a lot of keys I know this issue;
- at that Command prompt input ucc compress *.u. It's Time to go for a beer or a coffee - it takes a while.
Okay looks like operation has been finished, what's the deal ? CHECKING >
- input command dir *.u and see how many u files you have;
- input command dir *.uz and see if number of files is matching number of u files;
Presuming the stuff is good you have to move all u.uz files into upload location or redirect as long as probably you have ALL U files packed. You can get rid of stock files as long as player has Engine, Core, UnrealShare, ect. and save space...

And the rest ? YES, piece of cake...
- From System folder (the same location of ucc and where you were previously working) input new commands (with desired pauses or open a new CMD instance - is supported) as follows > ucc compress ..\Music\*.umx and then ucc compress ..\Sounds\*.uax and then ucc compress ..\Textures\*.utx and then ucc compress ..\Maps\*.unr.

Continuing browsing the rest of Folders, let me guess, now you have in those folders files uax.uz, utx.uz, umx.uz, unr.uz and perhaps there are as many as original files if content is not unreadable or other nasty disk problem. Now ALL UZ are ready for redirection - What was so hard ???

I'M STILL BADLY SURPRISED to see files missing from redirects - proving that admins have no experience in operating (not programming) computers. Preparing redirect is a piece of cake after all. I could see applications unable to handle 2000 files for compression so let UT and our Windoozee to do the job, they won't fail - it takes time anyway.

Amoeba advice > A Worm with a tiny brain said: Make sure about enough space on your drives before to start this redirecting Spree or Rampage or Dominating or whatever LikeGod redirection... :loool:

2015 Year - for UT
Take in account new command ucc lzmacompress used near ucc compress. New compression is for XC stuff by Higor - you might give a try.

For player things are more simple > drop XC stuff in your client and let UT and server to trigger stuff when it needs. XC_IpDrv for decompressing lzma format is automatically triggered by server, it doesn't need any major setup.

Advanced hints
FreeCommanderXE is able to build a file-list from current folder and/or even full path. Saving that list as a .BAT file you might add in front of each line <ucc compress...> or including path <ucc compress c:\UT\Sounds\Afile.uax>.
Above editing can be accelerated using COPY and PASTE, PASTE, PASTE, ect.

Edit > Risk to mess client up is when your compressed file is bigger than original file and both of them are very small - client is crashing, bug shown to me by Barbie - with full credits.

Else if you are using small stuff you might want to disable compression for avoid any Small risk.
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Re: Ut server - redirect issues ?

Post by JackGriffin »

It always amazes me that someone doesn't have some little java based checker like Redirect Server Checker worked. That thing was brilliant. You pointed it at your server and told it where the redirect was and it compared everything, compressing the missing files for you. Sadly it stopped being supported from win8 onwards. I miss that tool really bad.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
SC]-[WARTZ_{HoF}
Adept

Post by SC]-[WARTZ_{HoF} »

I agree RSC was a nice tool.
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

Still never did get RSC to work for me lol nor did automatically upload .uz files from zom map manager. So I do a lot of things manually.
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

RSC is a tool for completing files not for build from point 0. I know what I'm saying.
I was using that only for checks not even for completions.

Aside: In 2016 I won't use any UZ, reasons are described in forum - Barbie has just pointed out a bug which people seems to not take in account - at least I did not see info posted and debated. Depending on stuff used might occur troubles.
Good bye, UZ, rest in peace at bottom of sea.

Observations: A game service hosted in Germany (those high tech services) were pointing redirect using a tricky link directly in game-server without compression. First time and until yesterday I did not totally understood the reason for that, but Now I understand perfectly. They don't take any risk for their services.
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

Really given today's broadband there ought to be no reason the average server can't burst files to the clients. Has anyone overcome that limitation on a server?
Higor
Godlike

Post by Higor »

JackGriffin wrote:Really given today's broadband there ought to be no reason the average server can't burst files to the clients. Has anyone overcome that limitation on a server?
Server: XC_Engine with XC_GameEngine.bFasterUpload
>>> Sets NetSpeed to 1mbps (theoretical) during channel downloads

Server: DownloadManagers=XC_Core.XC_ChannelDownload, batchcompressed packages into LZMA or UZ (no need to move them)
Client: Has XC_Core files in his UT/System/
>>> Client downloading LZMA/UZ compressed files over channel.
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

I wish this was also for Unreal :(
Higor
Godlike

Post by Higor »

Idea that popped to me after talking with Schwartz:
- Open redirect port on server using a custom net driver (XC_IpDrv)
- Receive HTTP requests on this port, validate them if they belong to someone trying to join.
- Send 200 response if that's the case and attach a custom uploader on the game connection (serverside)
- This custom uploader will send back the info in HTTP format, with bandwidth control implemented.

Basically, the server would create a channel, while the client believes it's downloading using HTTP.
Advantage: works with ppl not using XC_ addons, bandwidth control.
SC]-[WARTZ_{HoF}
Adept

Post by SC]-[WARTZ_{HoF} »

I really like this method Higor. :highfive:
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

I'm hoping to see these solved as well and then redirect's homework might be considered properly finished.