Windows Uses 20% Of Your Bandwidth - How to Get it back!

Get some cool tips about how to tweak your UT graphic, gameplay, and much more!

Is this a fine Tipp?

Yes
75%
No
19%
Dont know, what U want about me????
6%

Total votes: 16

Spazzbite

Re: Windows Uses 20% Of Your Bandwidth - How to Get it back!

Post by Spazzbite »

Jumping on the "can't find the file" bandwagon. Is there an address I'm supposed to follow? I'm on XP Pro
fullonshred
Average

Post by fullonshred »

Hmmmmm..... when I tried it my Firewall told me something was trying to create a new folder and/or install something,so I canned it. Maybe will try it again later. Thanks for the post though.
José
Novice
Personal rank: Bot Hobo

Post by José »

It seems like it goes a bit smoother, thanks for the data.
BadGirlTex
Experienced
Personal rank: BadGirl To The Bone

Post by BadGirlTex »

Hmm mine misses some files. I guess I don't have access to those things.

But still sounds like an awesome tip to me =)
<The End Is Near, Because Texie Is Here!> Or something like that <.<

They pwn. They really do. Want one too? Pm me ;D
Raynor
Adept

Post by Raynor »

I'm sorry, but this tip is actually not the best one. It's one of the common myths, that actually work vice versa.

This tip made the rounds with people believing that Microsoft always allocates 20% of your bandwidth for Windows Update. According to the instructions, you were supposed to disable QoS in order to free up bandwidth. Unfortunately this tip was not only wrong, but disabling QoS will cause problems with applications that rely on it, like some streaming media or VoIP applications.

Rather than taking my word for it, you can read the official Microsoft response: "There have been claims in various published technical articles and newsgroup postings that Windows XP always reserves 20 percent of the available bandwidth for QoS. These claims are incorrect... One hundred percent of the network bandwidth is available to be shared by all programs unless a program specifically requests priority bandwidth."

So be careful people, when you're jumping the gun :roll:
-Feint-
Skilled
Personal rank: Amateur Mapper

Post by -Feint- »

Testaccount wrote:
Raynor wrote:I'm sorry, but this tip is actually not the best one. It's one of the common myths, that actually work vice versa.

This tip made the rounds with people believing that Microsoft always allocates 20% of your bandwidth for Windows Update. According to the instructions, you were supposed to disable QoS in order to free up bandwidth. Unfortunately this tip was not only wrong, but disabling QoS will cause problems with applications that rely on it, like some streaming media or VoIP applications.

Rather than taking my word for it, you can read the official Microsoft response: "There have been claims in various published technical articles and newsgroup postings that Windows XP always reserves 20 percent of the available bandwidth for QoS. These claims are incorrect... One hundred percent of the network bandwidth is available to be shared by all programs unless a program specifically requests priority bandwidth."

So in simplification:

Windows DOES reserve 20% however that 20% is reserved for other applications that may Automagically request a connection without your permission - IE say Xfire's autopatching feature.

Now while that is good, it also has a bad point. It is more often than not that this 20% is also utilised -without permission- by viruses, Helpers, and sub programs. If you don't know what a helper is have a look at your tasktray for the obvious ones like iTunes, MSN Messenger, Error Reporting, Limewire. There are more though if you look in services on the Task Manager however some of these are hard to discern from helpers.

I assume that by setting the reserve to 0% that means that ALL the bandwidth will be used DIRECTLY on whatever you choose to open.

Now as gamers setting the value to 0% is anything but bad. While playing a game online you aren't going to be doing anything else, ie downloading as DL'ing will ruin your ping etc.

So this actually helps.

After all unless you've told it to connect to the internet then why would it need access?

---------------------------

You want to know why Microsoft posted that explanation -

Because they're referring to their very own Windows Error Reporting system. The annoying program that popups without asking whenever something closes in a manner it doesn't like, and then proceeds to hog all your CPU, and if connected to the internet Your bandwidth too.
DanomanUK@i4games-Forum wrote:Nah, people bitch one way or another.
You cant win as a mapper ;)
keyboardcowboy
Novice

Post by keyboardcowboy »

nice m8

Will try this , and set this my other machine's
nevermindnosey

Post by nevermindnosey »

Thanks for the heads up.

I'll give it a go...
Torturia
Novice
Personal rank: Frustrating to Gods

Post by Torturia »

Well, I'll give this tip a go. I'll post back if theres been any issues. Thanks!

[--]Torturia
(I get my arse fragged @ Dawn's Deathmatch Palace - UT99 of course! :) )
2fast

Post by 2fast »

at first i couldn't find the "gpedit.msc" so i rebooted and worked like a charm...thanks!
RocketJedi
Inhuman
Personal rank: I.T Master

Post by RocketJedi »

Raynor wrote:I'm sorry, but this tip is actually not the best one. It's one of the common myths, that actually work vice versa.

you beat me to the post :P nice work. your internet connection barely even uses 20% of your 100Mb LAN .. so think about it? lol You want more bandwidth? get FIOS and a gigabit lan. GG
https://www.vulpinemission.com
Image ROCKET-X8 Server
Image MONSTERHUNT w/ NALI WEAPONS 3 + RX8
Image BUNNYTRACK NY
Image SNIPER DEATHMATCH
Image InstaGib + ComboGib + Jailbreak
Image ROSEBUM ROCKET-X RB