AdvancedMutator v2r1 <Mainly for developers>

Search, find and discuss about Mutators!
OjitroC
Godlike

Re: AdvancedMutator v4b + Examples [+ POLL]

Post by OjitroC »

There is no ini file in the download - reading through the post looks like there should be one?
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Re: AdvancedMutator v4b + Examples [+ POLL]

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

OjitroC wrote:There is no ini file in the download - reading through the post looks like there should be one?
There's no any configuration in the uc classes, no need for an INI file :/ Maybe you meant INT?
"Your stuff is known to be buggy and unfinished/not properly tested"
OjitroC
Godlike

Re: AdvancedMutator v2b

Post by OjitroC »

I see - it's just that you said
PrinceOfFunky wrote: EDIT: Oh and anyway, it doesn't work at all since I forgot to change the version inside the INI. I'll reupload it with the correct INI file.
Presumably you meant INT?
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Re: AdvancedMutator v2b

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

OjitroC wrote:I see - it's just that you said
PrinceOfFunky wrote: EDIT: Oh and anyway, it doesn't work at all since I forgot to change the version inside the INI. I'll reupload it with the correct INI file.
Presumably you meant INT?
I'm sorry, I didn't noticed it :/

Anyway :D * UPDATED TO VERSION 5 BETA *
PrinceOfFunky wrote:Anyway, I think when the first release version will be released, the next versions will be backward compatible. They will be mutators extending the previous versions.
Wormbo
Adept

Re: AdvancedMutator v5b + Examples [+ POLL]

Post by Wormbo »

All those name choices are sort-of bad. What exactly does your mutator do? Sum that up in one, two or three English words (not counting articles and prepositions) that still allow people to recognize the functionality and you have your name.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Wormbo wrote:All those name choices are sort-of bad. What exactly does your mutator do? Sum that up in one, two or three English words (not counting articles and prepositions) that still allow people to recognize the functionality and you have your name.
^This ...What exactly does your mutator do?
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

FullyFeaturedMutator?
SilverSound
Adept
Personal rank: Curious

Post by SilverSound »

PrinceOfFunky wrote:FullyFeaturedMutator?

Well I'd say that it's basically a super version of mutator. He's giving mutator.uc some big extensions.
"Woah what?! I wish I was recording that...."
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

PrinceOfFunky wrote:FullyFeaturedMutator?
No - as that still raises the question 'What features?'. Plus, of course, one hopes that all mutators are fully featured in the broad sense.

Perhaps you can explain in plain and simple language what the mutator does and when, how and why I should use it? I, for one, have no idea what 'calling call-back functions' means. I may be dumb but others have asked for an explanation as well.

Sektor suggests it is a testing tool - I did run it in-game for a while and noticed nothing beyond 'hitting wall' messages in the console.
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

OjitroC wrote:I did run it in-game for a while and noticed nothing beyond 'hitting wall' messages in the console.
Ohhhhhhh, now I understand why you're saying this .o. You don't code I guess, and you thought this is a mutator which does something at gameplay level. It doesn't at all, it's a base for new generation mutators. It's like the class "Mutator.uc", it does nothing in the actual gameplay, it's job of the modders to create a mutator which extends the base mutator to do something in the actual gameplay.
(The logs are just for testing, they will be removed once this "base" mutator won't be a BETA anymore)
SilverSound wrote:Well I'd say that it's basically a super version of mutator. He's giving mutator.uc some big extensions.
And you didn't even try the v6b :D Great news!
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

PrinceOfFunky wrote:...it's a base for new generation mutators. It's like the class "Mutator.uc", it does nothing in the actual gameplay, it's job of the modders to create a mutator which extends the base mutator to do something in the actual gameplay. (The logs are just for testing, they will be removed once this "base" mutator won't be a BETA anymore)
I understand now. You need to call it something that reflects that it is an extended base mutator or extended mutator class?

As a matter of interest, what logs does it generate?
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

OjitroC wrote:
PrinceOfFunky wrote:...it's a base for new generation mutators. It's like the class "Mutator.uc", it does nothing in the actual gameplay, it's job of the modders to create a mutator which extends the base mutator to do something in the actual gameplay. (The logs are just for testing, they will be removed once this "base" mutator won't be a BETA anymore)
I understand now. You need to call it something that reflects that it is an extended base mutator or extended mutator class?

As a matter of interest, what logs does it generate?
Mutator class is a base for all mutators, mine is a base for all mutators that want to use this mutator's new features, this can be represented as the following tree:

Code: Select all

+ Mutator(Does nothing but lets other mutators to use its features).
|- InstagibDM Mutator(extends Mutator).
|- FatBoy Mutator(extends Mutator).
|+ AdvancedMutator(extends Mutator class) + (Does nothing but lets other mutators to use its new implemented features).
  |- FunStuff(extends AdvancedMutator).
  |- QLModeClone(extends AdvancedMutator).

Callbacks are pieces of code that are called when an event happens. Like, Score changes call a callback in the Mutator base class, if you want to create a mutator that needs to know when the score changed, then you use this callback, like FatBoy mutator, uses it(if your score increases you get fatter, otherwise you get thinner).
The generated logs are, mostly, logs which help me and contributors(if any) to catch bugs(problems) in the code. Some are just to show that these new features(callbacks) work fine.
Wormbo
Adept

Post by Wormbo »

Oh, I think I realized what you're trying to achieve. Having done a similar thing before, I can tell you people will likely not care that much. The bulk of my mods based on EnhancedItems did a bunch of cool stuff with nice synergies between the mods, but that wasn't enough to promote widespread use either.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

Wormbo wrote:Oh, I think I realized what you're trying to achieve. Having done a similar thing before, I can tell you people will likely not care that much. The bulk of my mods based on EnhancedItems did a bunch of cool stuff with nice synergies between the mods, but that wasn't enough to promote widespread use either.
Now I understand why your mods affecting each other. I'm not a coder so I was always puzzled how this could work.
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

Wormbo wrote:Oh, I think I realized what you're trying to achieve. Having done a similar thing before, I can tell you people will likely not care that much. The bulk of my mods based on EnhancedItems did a bunch of cool stuff with nice synergies between the mods, but that wasn't enough to promote widespread use either.
We are doing it for the community, if it will be alive longer, maybe there will be the day someone will use our stuff that now no one uses.

Oh and:
Wormbo wrote:The bulk of my mods based on EnhancedItems did a bunch of stuff
They still do.