[concept] Dispersion Pistol for UT & Unreal

Search, find and discuss about Mutators!
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

[concept] Dispersion Pistol for UT & Unreal

Post by papercoffee »

So, what do you think?

This is a quick rough sketch and nothing final (obviously) so we can make alterations
Dispistol001.png
Instead of morphing is this weapon unfolding with every power-up container.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Re: [concept] Dispersion Pistol for UT & Unreal

Post by EvilGrins »

Sweet!
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Any suggestions?
I'll post some more details of the concept later.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

If you are going for a more real-world look, then consider how you aim it. The iron-sights should never be obscured.

the 4 sections could be chambers that hold the pickup (like adding bullets to a revolver)
editor Dave
Inhuman
Personal rank: Passionate SP Mapper

Post by editor Dave »

This looks really interesting! It kind of reminds me a little bit of the upcoming Flak canon. No, yours is fine on its own, but better stick to a different color than yellow if you were to skin it :tongue: Image
If I understand it correctly, every battery unfolds one "can", so the second picture shows the final iteration of the gun? If so, I like the idea of it, but I might not be too fond of the looks of an uneven unfolding (particularily if you have one and three batteries collected), purely aesthetically speaking. I wonder if theres a way to make every upgrade look symmetrical? Maybe like this in the attachment (this is a front view), but I have not figured out how youd set up the mechanics so there could be three positions for battery 1 and 3 (the uncharged position, the firstly charged position and the one after that). Well, my paint skills dont really fire up my imagination... but what do you think of it?
Attachments
Lauf.jpg
10-Year Anniversary on Jun 08, 2019.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

editor Dave wrote:If I understand it correctly, every battery unfolds one "can", so the second picture shows the final iteration of the gun?
Thanks for your input.

Time to clarify my idea. The first pictures (front/side) shows the weapon in its first state. Like a clamp is it closed and has weak fire power. The pictures beneath show the second state, where it opens up and shows the inner mechanic. sparks and flashes show that some power is going on in there.

I'll show later a better sketch.
The idea is that this weapon starts as a pistol and transforms into something like a short rifle in its final state.
editor Dave
Inhuman

Post by editor Dave »

Ooh, now I see! Yeah, I think even rougher sketches than the ones above of the second to fourth power-ups would shed a more clarifying light on your idea in general. Im looking forward to it!
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

papercoffee wrote:
editor Dave wrote:The idea is that this weapon starts as a pistol and transforms into something
Have you thought about the "transformer" items? Are they different for every stage? Is a certain order of picking up needed?
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Barbie wrote:Have you thought about the "transformer" items? Are they different for every stage? Is a certain order of picking up needed?
I thought to use the default canister pickups for now (or I could make a better version of it) ...and like the default version wouldn't a certain order be necessary. Just pick them up to boost this weapon.

I'm right now at figuring out the transforming mechanism. Everything should be there inside the pistol version and unfolds step by step to a rifle like version.

Here are some silhouettes of other Dispersion Pistol ideas. No 1 is the sketch you see in the first post.
Thoughts?
Attachments
Dispistol002.png
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

No 3 looks very interesting and different - it is obviously a hand gun but does not have the appearance of a bullet firing pistol. It also offers greater possibilities for its transformation to a 'rifle'. Of the five, I think it is the most promising.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

I'm most fond of #2.

Seen the Dispersion pistol a bunch, and other than the one in Unreal2 the thing has generally had a sort of tubular shape.

2 works for me.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
editor Dave
Inhuman

Post by editor Dave »

While I also agree that No.3s design is the most interesting, for me its a tie between the first and the second version, because they both seem like they have enough space to store four parts being unfolded in a cool and convincing way.