ChaosUT issues

Search, find and discuss about Mutators!
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Re: ChaosUT issues

Post by EvilGrins »

OjitroC wrote:@EvilGrins
Also check the 'date created' - and, as you seem to have two copies, compare the file size, date last modified and date created for the Chaos UT files in your UT/system directory with those in whatever directory they are in in your Unreal Anthology directory.
Not sure that would work, the one in my original UT isn't the final version. The one in Anthology is the final version.

My original UT install doesn't have any impact on the Anthology one. They're 2 entirely different downloads of ut99, they're not connected to each other.

Added: To avoid file conflicts, I've got a habit of not overwriting new files with ones I've already got. Decided to go back to the .zip and ignore that and just copy over everything fresh.

So now things work as they should be...
Attachments
Shot0037.png
Shot0031.png
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote:So now things work as they should be...
That's good. How about the blank spaces in the gametypes menu?
EvilGrins wrote:Added: To avoid file conflicts, I've got a habit of not overwriting new files with ones I've already got.
Good idea in general but not with new versions or updates though as you won't be installing new or updated versions of stuff.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

OjitroC wrote:That's good. How about the blank spaces in the gametypes menu?
Those're gone too.
OjitroC wrote:
EvilGrins wrote:Added: To avoid file conflicts, I've got a habit of not overwriting new files with ones I've already got.
Good idea in general but not with new versions or updates though as you won't be installing new or updated versions of stuff.
Mostly been an issue with new maps when some mapper has changed an existing .utx or .umx to suit their map's needs that ruins it for anyone else with other maps using textures or music with the same filenames.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

EvilGrins wrote: Added: To avoid file conflicts, I've got a habit of not overwriting new files with ones I've already got. Decided to go back to the .zip and ignore that and just copy over everything fresh.
That means, you lied to us or at least didn't gave all informations. :wink:
You haven't installed the complete 1.1 version and had a mixed up mod.
EvilGrins wrote:So now things work as they should be...
:tu: finally.
Next time give us all informations please.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Those're gone too.
Good - thought they should have done now.
EvilGrins wrote: Mostly been an issue with new maps when some mapper has changed an existing .utx or .umx to suit their map's needs that ruins it for anyone else with other maps using textures or music with the same filenames.
Yes, that's a real pain. That's one of the reasons why I manually install umods.

====================================== Turrets ======================
MH - Turrets are not completely useless in MH as they will fire back at any monster that hits them with a 'projectile'. It depends on the type of map but in a large, open, flat map like MH-GardenOfDeath or the Dark Forest series, they can be used for a bit of fun. Set one up, fire at the monsters up ahead and then go behind the turret so it gets hit by return fire and it will fire back at the monsters that have hit it. Downside is that it will be destroyed if hit often enough, but useful nonetheless.

CTF - can be used as an offensive weapon (kind of, anyway), again depending on the type of map - set one up near the base to engage the opposing team emerging/returning to the base. Downside is that it will eventually need reloading.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

OK. Finally after 4 pages of posts. :mad2:
Grins if I could reach through the screen, I would slap you.

As for the ammo falling out of the world, the solution is to raise the ammo off the floor, so when it swaps to one with a wonky collision cylinder it will not be too low.

Using the Relics there is a chance you will get HUD issues with other mods that use HUD elements. If you see this problem use the EnhancedItems update from Wormbos site.
It is worth Using the Enhanced Items Chaos updates as you get more stuff showing in the config panel.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Dr.Flay wrote: As for the ammo falling out of the world, the solution is to raise the ammo off the floor, so when it swaps to one with a wonky collision cylinder it will not be too low.
This also applies to the weapons/ammo that are often buried in the floor, like the turret launcher and the freezer/fireball ammo for the Utility Gun.

Basically this means that default UT weapon and ammo placement in the maps needs to be tested with ChaosUT set to replace UT items and then with it set to cycle with UT weapons/ammo as the Z LocationOffset for some Chaos items is different in both cases.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Dr.Flay wrote:Grins if I could reach through the screen, I would slap you.
*tweaks your nose*

So, there's a thing that bugged me about the poison arrows for years. Whether you're hit, or mistakenly pick up someone's dropped poison arrows, you're poisoned and messed up until you either die or manage to grab some health. General effects of the poison are limited ability to move, bad visuals, poison hitting any of your teammates nearby, and it slows you down.

So, why is it after you die (even after you've died several times over the course of a game) once you've been poisoned you stay slow for the rest of that game?

Why don't we get our speed back to normal??
Attachments
Shot0015.png
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: So, why is it after you die (even after you've died several times over the course of a game) once you've been poisoned you stay slow for the rest of that game?

Why don't we get our speed back to normal??
Perhaps it's a conflict with another mutator you are running?
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

OjitroC wrote:Perhaps it's a conflict with another mutator you are running?
Not a mutator, exactly.

I play UT in Turbo (it's one of UT's default game speeds) and after being poisoned my speed goes down to normal. Keep in mind, other players stay at their normal speed in turbo (except other previously poisoned players) and it's just weird.
Attachments
zzzClip0001.png
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

EvilGrins wrote:Why don't we get our speed back to normal??
You get NORMAL speed :wink:

See Class'PoisonEffect' from ChaosUT:

Code: Select all

class PoisonEffect extends Pickup;

singular function UsedUp() {
   Pawn(Owner).GroundSpeed=Pawn(Owner).Default.GroundSpeed;
}
If Owner is a TournamentPlayer, the default ("normal") value for GroundSpeed of 400 is assigned to it. But if you play in other than "Normal" mode, the GroundSpeed is increased for players and bots, when they enter the game and only if they enter the game (in DeathMatchGame.IsRelevant() and DMMutator.CheckReplacement() but not if they are just restarted by GameInfo.Restartplayer() - what is called after they died).
Solution: Write a small Mutator that does the speed adjustments in Mutator.ModifyPlayer(). (Or pick up an UT_ShieldBelt before you die - see code ;)

PS: see also thread Mods changing running speeds.
PPS: If I have to judge the code I have seen there... :wth:
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Dr.Flay wrote:OK. Finally after 4 pages of posts. :mad2:
:what: Wait we did not reach at 40 pages yet.

Speed
This deal is the mostly nasty if mod doesn't take in account all speed modifiers involved. Taking these in account is harder especially if map might have stuff like "bHammer" or others which screws speed and then speed is returned by other stuff back to some plonker value because chaos forgot player's speed used in that game-type. Even if it would save that speed for a return in UsedUp(), certain conditions make things to have flaws - like in usual UTJMH with Udamage bonus (pumped forced FOR ALL PLAYER) vs StrengthRelic loaded by one of them (or like that - I'm not using these) - simple all damage goes to default scaling when UDamage expires and StrengthRelic has to be dropped and picked up again or else it will be useless regarding to even 9X damage which exist at a moment - all goes to normal stage so to speak. These things are never compatible and Bot code is missing. Bot loaded with StrenghtRelic will still attempt to get UDamage running in place like a retard because Relic takes in account UDamage but UDamage's desirability doesn't take in account relic loaded. I wanna see "SpeedRelic" vs "bHammer" vs Chaos mixed together... :sleep: excuse me I'm feel a bit sleepy when I recall awesome deals by Extreme Digits or how it says Digital Extremes working around UT.
Wake me up at page number 10. please...
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

At least I understand the speed thing now...

Moving right along, how exactly do the vortexes work? They clearly don't just shred whatever's caught in them, I'm thinking they're like an instagib, which takes 1,000 HP off anything it shoots, which is why monsters like Warlords & Queens & Titans you need to shoot with an instabig more than once.

Been most playing CTF games with ChaosUT these past 2 weeks, and mainly maps I've got UTDMT on. In this pic I'm attaching, that Titan walked right through the vortex and was only slowed down by it a bit; it was sucked into it but it pulled itself out.

Also I've noticed they're not team-specific. Vortexes will kill anyone sucked into them, whether they're on your team or not.
Attachments
Shot0090.png
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

The longer you are in the more health you lose.
You can survive if you are quick and teleport out.
No idea how much per second it does, but you have to be right in the middle for maximum damage.

Historically speaking you have a habit of setting your monsters to ridiculous levels of strength. Are you sure the culprit is not an extreme health level ?

Making a Gravity Vortex ignore 1 team but not the other would not look or feel correct.
It kills without bias or preference, and so when you throw one you should apologise to your team mates as you run past them.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

Dr.Flay wrote:Historically speaking you have a habit of setting your monsters to ridiculous levels of strength. Are you sure the culprit is not an extreme health level?
Never felt the need with a UTDMT. It respawns, and while I think you can choose how much health it respawns with... given it respawns I've never felt the need to reset it's health parameters.