Mind Reader 1.1
- by David Catmull - firstname.lastname@example.org
- http://www.uncommonplace.com/What's it all about?
Ever wonder why bots do what they do? Especially when you think they should be doing something else? This mutator will allow you to explore the inner workings of a bot's mind. Such as it is.
The best way to use this mutator is as a spectator.. because otherwise you'll be too busy shooting to make use of it. You can use it in the regular flying-camera mode, or by switching to spy on individual bots. If you do the flying-camera thing, then you'll get data on whatever bot you're looking at, as an extension of the player name that always pops up when you look at someone.
The readout is as follows:
- State: Every object in UnrealScript has states; bots have states like "Fallback", "Retreat", "Falling", and "Dying".
- Move Target: This is usually the nearest pathnode that the bot is moving towards, and it can also be an item that the bot is about to pick up.
- Enemy: Whoever the bot's designated target is.
- Orders: Defending, Attacking, Following, etc.
- Real Orders: The actual orders that have been given to a bot. This can sometimes be different from its working orders, above. For example, if it's told to defend, but there's nothing to defend, it may decide to do something else for the time being.
- Order Object: The thing or player the bot was told to defend, or follow, or whatever.
- Alternate Path: The marker that helps bots vary their attack routes in CTF
- Goal: This text string is updated sporadically as a general indicator of what the bot is doing. It often becomes obsolete long before it gets updated, but it still can be useful.
Also, you will see frames appearing around certain objects:
- Red crosshairs:
- Green box:
Order Object - remember, could be a player, could be a thing.
- Blue box:
Move Target - this is usually a pathnode, which you otherwise can't see. It may also be an item that the bot wants to pick up, or the player that the bot is following.
- Blue cross:
Destination - the location that the bot is trying to reach. Usually the location of the Move Target, unless the bot is doing evasive/tactical maneuvers, wandering, or trying to find its way back to the path node network.
- Yellow boxes:
Route Cache - the pathnodes that make up the route that the bot is following.
- Magenta crosshairs:
The bot's current chosen AlternatePath.
- Inverted boxes:
Team-colored identifiers for flags in a CTF game. If the flag is being carried then a cross is drawn in the color of the carrier. This currently only works in CTF-based games.
Bind these commands (like "mutate MRDetachCam") to a key for easy access.
Why is it cool?
If you are spectating and tracking another player (when it says "Live feed from..." at the bottom), this command will stop your camera right where it is so that you can move it freely from there. This is better than (or different from) hitting the altfire button, which will take you back to where you were before you started tracking people.
- MRNextFlag and MRPrevFlag:
These commands will cycle through viewing the flags in the game, just as the fire button cycles through the players. This will appear a bit erratic because of the fact that the flag isn't always where it appears to be: when you see a player carrying a flag, it's really an illusion. So the mutator has to do some extra work to match that illusion. Also, there is no way to distinguish between watching a flag that is being carried, and watching a player who is carrying a flag. "Next" and "previous" do not necessarily go by the team order red-blue-green-gold (if you're playing CTF4 or CTF+), depending on how the map was constructed. These commands also work in Flag Domination, and should work in Scavenger Hunt though I have not tested it.
Toggles the Mind Reader display on and off.
This thing can be very useful when you're trying to tweak bot behavior in mods and maps. It lets you discover things like, are they picking the right spots to defend? Why do they go there? How are my paths working? Junk like that.More to come
I plan to add a few more fancy things, like locking on to a bot in free camera mode (so the data doesn't fade out when you're not looking at the bot).Incompatibility
Mind Reader doesn't work if you also have the Relic mutators enabled. What's really happening is that the Relic mutators don't work with any other HUD mutators, and I don't thing there's anything I can do about it.Thanks
The frames were accomplished by copying code from ITSHUD from Unrealistic (http://www.planetunreal.com/unrealistic).New this version
- Mutate commands
- Health is shown regardless of team
- AlternatePath display
- Flags are always marked