Double weapons, or dual weapons?

Search, find and discuss about Mutators!
Terraniux
Masterful
Personal rank: Banished member

Double weapons, or dual weapons?

Post by Terraniux »

I've got a new project in mind for the long term ......

...and is there a mod or mutator that lets you have all weapons in both hands? Aside from the enforcer?
I really like to have this double pulserifle for instance. Or a combi rocketlouncher with a flak cannon.
:loool:

Any thoughs?
This member can only post when permitted.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Re: Double weapons, or dual weapons?

Post by EvilGrins »

Akimbo, it allowed you to use any Unreal/ut99 weapons at the same time, though it didn't work on other weapon packs...
...which is probably a good thing. Can you imagine having 2 Ultima Protos cannons at the same time?
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Yes, have a look at akimbo-arena_3c767f9a.html on UnrealArchive - the weapons have to be the same though. If it doesn't give you precisely what you want, you might be able to alter the code to add more weapons in for example.
Terraniux
Masterful

Post by Terraniux »

Thanks, but there isn't any form of dual version kind?
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Terraniux wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:07 pm Thanks, but there isn't any form of dual version kind?
Sorry but I'm not sure what you mean now - the akimbo mutator lets you have (for example) a pulse rifle in one hand and a pulse rifle in the other - I thought that is what you wanted (as did EG)? Do you mean two weapons in one hand and two in the other?
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

OjitroC wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:29 pm
Terraniux wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:07 pm Thanks, but there isn't any form of dual version kind?
Sorry but I'm not sure what you mean now - the akimbo mutator lets you have (for example) a pulse rifle in one hand and a pulse rifle in the other - I thought that is what you wanted (as did EG)? Do you mean two weapons in one hand and two in the other?
Think you're a Nali if you can quad wield in that case. :loool:

Gotta pick up a 2nd copy of the weapon to have duel weapons with that akimbo mod.
Terraniux
Masterful

Post by Terraniux »

Nah, dual means a single version copied, or a single thing opposed. Double is literally doubled.

As a double enforcer, you have the gun "doubled" , I want to different guns as dual. Like RL and a Flak
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

UnrealGGecko wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:53 pm Gotta pick up a 2nd copy of the weapon to have duel weapons with that akimbo mod.
Oh, I see - my bad there - I haven't used it and I didn't read the readme properly!
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

I had once an akimbo mutator where you could set it up if you want a weapon in akimbo style or two weapons in each hand.
But I can't remember what the name was :? ... I remember only that it was really bug riddled and crashed often.
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

I don't think something like that exists yet, but I imagine that it might be possible to do one by creating a proxy weapon that controls multiple ones at the same time (technically speaking).
Would require lots of testing and tweaks quite likely, due to the mess UT already is on all regards concerning weapon flow, and even then it's highly unlikely that it would work with all weapons.
Terraniux
Masterful

Post by Terraniux »

Feralidragon wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:31 pm I don't think something like that exists yet, but I imagine that it might be possible to do one by creating a proxy weapon that controls multiple ones at the same time (technically speaking).
Would require lots of testing and tweaks quite likely, due to the mess UT already is on all regards concerning weapon flow, and even then it's highly unlikely that it would work with all weapons.
I'm not a coder or anything. But looking at the enforcer... can't this be done like any other weapon? It's the same weapon, but when you pick it up, it only goes to the left hand or right *whatever your prefs are*?
I'm throwing darts in the dark here. But I think it should be possible... .... I hope? :noidea

There might be more people happy with this.,.. esp EvilGrins.... :loool:

If I read his posts right.... :mrgreen:
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

The way the double enforcer works is by having one enforcer (master) controlling another separate enforcer (slave, it's literally called this way in the code: SlaveEnforcer).
Then everywhere the main enforcer does something, there's explicit code there to tell the other enforcer to do the same.

To do the same with other weapons, they would need to be modified directly to include code to support a second variation of them only acting as a slave as well, which obviously doesn't work as a generic solution for all weapons.

That's why I suggested that, in order to do something like this in a generic fashion, to work with all weapons (or almost all of them), one would need to build a proxy weapon (the master) which would then have a list of multiple weapons to control (the slaves), so that when you "fired" this proxy weapon (that you never see), this weapon would instead forward the "fire" call to these weapons.

If done properly, you could even build a system where you could have an unlimited amount of weapons at the same time (so those wanting 4 weapons for Nali, could actually get it as easily).

From here, how this would work exactly in the end would be up to whomever developed something like this, as there are many details to this mostly dependent on the desired final effect.
It wouldn't work for absolutely every weapon though, but would likely work for most at least.