looking for mutator that increases a weapon shoot distance

Search, find and discuss about Mutators!
RocketJedi
Inhuman
Personal rank: I.T Master

looking for mutator that increases a weapon shoot distance

Post by RocketJedi »

Is there such a thing?

basically if I see it I want to be able to hit it.
https://www.vulpinemission.com
Image ROCKET-X8 Server
Image MONSTERHUNT w/ NALI WEAPONS 3 + RX8
Image BUNNYTRACK NY
Image SNIPER DEATHMATCH
Image InstaGib + ComboGib + Jailbreak
Image ROSEBUM ROCKET-X RB
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Re: looking for mutator that increases a weapon shoot distance

Post by EvilGrins »

Couldn't you just stand closer to people?

There probably is but I've never heard of one... and a lot of the more newer weapon packs have unlimited range.

I'll poke around.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
TheDane
Masterful
Personal rank: Happy fool :-)

Post by TheDane »

You can't do that using a mutator. The range of a weapon is hard coded into its code with a set value, meaning that you can't inject a value to a variable from an outside package. You need to recode the weapon(s) in question.

as example, the shockrifle has this set: EndTrace += (10000 * vector(AdjustedAim)); You can't inject anything into a set 10000 value, you need to recode it and set the value higher (65536 is the max size in editor I think? so maps won't be larger than this).
Retired.
RocketJedi
Inhuman
Personal rank: I.T Master

Post by RocketJedi »

TheDane wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 6:13 pm You can't do that using a mutator. The range of a weapon is hard coded into its code with a set value, meaning that you can't inject a value to a variable from an outside package. You need to recode the weapon(s) in question.

as example, the shockrifle has this set: EndTrace += (10000 * vector(AdjustedAim)); You can't inject anything into a set 10000 value, you need to recode it and set the value higher (65536 is the max size in editor I think? so maps won't be larger than this).
thanks I figured this was the case. oh well for me
https://www.vulpinemission.com
Image ROCKET-X8 Server
Image MONSTERHUNT w/ NALI WEAPONS 3 + RX8
Image BUNNYTRACK NY
Image SNIPER DEATHMATCH
Image InstaGib + ComboGib + Jailbreak
Image ROSEBUM ROCKET-X RB
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

TheDane wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 6:13 pm You can't do that using a mutator. The range of a weapon is hard coded into its code with a set value, meaning that you can't inject a value to a variable from an outside package. You need to recode the weapon(s) in question.

Thecnically you can do it using AdvancedMutator by overriding only Fire/AltFire without having to create new classes for the weapons and rewrite the whole codes.
"Your stuff is known to be buggy and unfinished/not properly tested"
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

RocketJedi wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 7:04 pmthanks I figured this was the case. oh well for me
Just go old school/oldskool literally. Ye olde Dispersion Pistol has unlimited range!

I mean it's slow as fuck long distance, but provided your target doesn't move for several minutes eventually the blast will hit.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
TheDane
Masterful
Personal rank: Happy fool :-)

Post by TheDane »

PrinceOfFunky wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 3:16 pm

Thecnically you can do it using AdvancedMutator by overriding only Fire/AltFire without having to create new classes for the weapons and rewrite the whole codes.
Just poked arround, i can't see exactly how this would be injecting a value upon a set value? But, looking at it, it seems way to much to install/edit/do just to change the firerate? MUCH easier to just subclass the weapon, change the value (you could add it as config for ease?), and then do a simple replacement. You know, keep it simple? Advanced will crash your server if you don't keep a clean structure but just add-on after add-on.
Retired.
Deepu
Adept
Personal rank: Average

Post by Deepu »

Edit the existing pack, then save and conform the pack, after that replace the server files and make test, if your server has ace, then add that conformed pack x to ace's white list. No need to create new subclasses or other bullshits
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Deepu wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 6:19 pm Edit the existing pack, then save and conform the pack, after that replace the server files and make test, if your server has ace, then add that conformed pack x to ace's white list. No need to create new subclasses or other bullshits
I don't know much about this but if people already have that weapon package, then presumably they don't download the new/conformed package when they join the server? If not, then they will be at a disadvantage as the range of their weapons will be less than that of players using the new package.

What happens when people with the new/coformed package want to join another server which uses the older/original version of that weapon package? If the new package is not on that server's ace white list they will get kicked?
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

Never looked into it myself, but supposedly, by changing the package in the server only, and then modify its GUID to be the same as the old package, should lead the game to think that your new package version is actually the standard one, leading also to players joining the server without any mismatching problems of any kind.

However, this only works fairly well if you're changing server-side code.

In the case of standard weapons, things like this are strictly processed by the server, and never the client, meaning that if you modify a package in the server to extend the trace distance (shoot distance), even if players are running the standard unmodified package on their end, their shots will still all have a longer range, because the shot is processed by the server, which has been modified to process a longer range shot.

If the change is made to client-side code however, it won't change anything for clients at all, it's pretty much meaningless.
So if the trace was made client-side instead, like in the case of ZP (zeroping) weapon mods, it wouldn't affect the client in the slightest changing a package this way.

And if the changes are both server and client side, if you make a server change that works well with the new client code, but not with the old one, weird things will happen, maybe even a crash.

Having that said however, unless you know very well what you're doing, and what you're changing, you shouldn't modify existing packages.
For pretty much everything is preferable to just extend the game with new weapons and such, unless it's impossible otherwise.

But there's also XC_Engine by Higor which allows you to do these kinds of changes to the code, without changing the original package at all, by manipulating virtual tables and all that stuff natively from within the game, so you may look into that as a good alternative to modifying packages directly, since he provides an UScript interface to do so in a easy way.
Never tried it myself, so I don't know how well it works, but may be worth a try.