Mjolnir the friendly Banhammer

Search, find and discuss about Mutators!
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Mjolnir the friendly Banhammer

Post by Dr.Flay »

I was thinking of a fun way of kicking people off a server, and ended up thinking of a possible mutator that could be hilarious fun.
Here are my notes I brought from home.

:idea: "Mjolnir" the Banhammer mod

A variation on the anti-camper and mutant mods.
Instead of kicking a problem player, when the admin "kicks" the player they get a new "best-friend" that will doggedly hunt them down, so as to be as close as possible (ahh true love).
I am thinking a Chaos proxy mine crossed with Thor's hammer. That disturbing mix of cute and deadly.

If combined with having more blood and more gore mutators on the server, it could have a higher setting for the "tagged" victim, so everyone in the map would go "Ouch ! I think that was our pain in the arse, being ripped a new one" as gore rains down everywhere. :satan: HAMMER-TIME!!
Maybe leave a gravestone behind.
But rather than them being kicked and rejoining under a new name, they respawn, but that friendly hammer still wants to get a cuddle.

My mind wandered a bit more...
:idea: I'm realising this could be worked into a mutator type of game. "It" "Tag" or "Tig" (depending on where you are from, but the game is always the same. Touch someone and run like hell, because they are "it" and now they smell !).
Simply put you have to touch another player, trading-off shooting and defending, as killing them would be bad ! You need to wipe your stinky hand on them and get away as fast as possible, before the "friendly" hammer arrives and it all gets very messy.
I was talking with someone recently after reading about "pheromone tags". I can't remember if this was a UT thing ?

:idea: How about a game of "Fetch" ?
Most dog owners are familiar with this. You throw a stick and back comes your trusty over-eager friend with half a tree, a giant rock, or a rabbit !

You pickup the hammer instead. Throw it into the air, and it flys away until it picks up the first item it comes across.
Anything not nailed down is fair game.
Good things:
Ammo, weapons, pickups, relics, the enemy flag, enemy head (Headhunter game).
Bad Things:
Ammo that has been fired (ouch), your own flag, players, bots and pawns (that could be hilarious), rocks and boulders, crates and barrels, chairs, Chaos turrets, active gravity vortex, an explosion (depending on how long it lasted), someone elses hammer (which would then drag you back to it's owner !)

I'm trying to keep this as simple as possible. As in that it should require few resources, other than a hammer model and a few other small mutators.
More gore and blood, Flag effects, and maybe the flying physics from... well take your pick !

Don't worry I'm not pressing for someone to make this. I just thought I'd share my vision of lunacy, as I was having a good laugh about it with my mates.

A dog from the postal pawns pack would make for a fun game of fetch, but the dog would have to be indestructible to cope with bringing home a vortex or other deadly chew-toy. Also imagine a dog running up to you in the middle of a fight, and dragging you off by the leg to his master :loool:
Or it bringing you back an undetonated Nali weapons nuke. :help:
Bad dog, no! drop it! ..... RUUUUNNNNN !!!!!
Actually the team bot orders menu could include commands for the dog! Hahaha...

I'm going to stop now and drink some rum and calm down a bit.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: Mjolnir the friendly Banhammer

Post by papercoffee »

Make it... I mean the mod/mutator :mrgreen:
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

I was playing on a server last week and one of the special weapons, dunno what mutator it was, actually was Thor's hammer. Shot lighting and everything.

When I read the subject line to this post, was kinda hoping that might be it.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Hook
Inhuman
Personal rank: UT99 Promoter/Admin

Post by Hook »

Very good ideas Dr.Flay - I like it! :tu:
=Hook=(Member# 626)
HUTP Active Forums: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net/forum
HUTP UT99 Community Portal: https://hooksutplace.freeforums.net/
OR: https://hermskii.com/hook/ut99_hutp/
UT99 Server -> CROSSBONES Missile Madness {CMM}

* Newest Versions of: PRO-Redeemers | PRO-SNIPER-Redeemers | PRO-SEEKER-Redeemers <-(the Original)
and Now with FOOD FIGHT and Frying Pan arena !!!
IP: 68.232.181.236:7777 <-(NEW IP to come)
UT99 MH Server -> {CMH} CROSSBONES Monster Hunt (MH) by Mars007 (The Original) - IP: 108.61.238.93:7777
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

I swear this is true: I intended to do something like that a long time ago, but my idea was to make a full new monster model with a hammer on his hands, and that would really appear and use the hammer to smash you in case you did something "wrong".
Never did it because back then I hadn't the needed knowledge nor skill whatsoever to either do the model/skins or the code itself (nowadays I still don't have the skill to make the model itself lol).

Nice idea indeed. :tu:
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Hehe, I'm glad you lot can see what I am thinking as it were, and it crosses areas already thought about.

Well, as my knowledge of the underside of UT gets better, I may indeed be able to piece something together.

I'm at the knowledgeable-amateur level, (as you can see by some of my posts), but I'm far from building anything at the mo.
I'll keep this in the back of my head, as I am still laughing at the idea.
...The beauty of this idea, I think it would work in most FPS games.

FETCH !!!! Good doggy.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Feralidragon wrote:I swear this is true: I intended to do something like that a long time ago, but my idea was to make a full new monster model with a hammer on his hands, and that would really appear and use the hammer to smash you in case you did something "wrong".
Never did it because back then I hadn't the needed knowledge nor skill whatsoever to either do the model/skins or the code itself (nowadays I still don't have the skill to make the model itself lol).

Nice idea indeed. :tu:
Why not take an existing monster and add a hammer?

Or, search for a monster that has a hammer in another game and port it over to UT?
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

EvilGrins wrote: Why not take an existing monster and add a hammer?
Because it would never look as good, as reusing a monster with low res skins, use their UVs to build new skins and then make a detailed hammer would look plain wrong imo, besides I would have to do a whole new animation for it anyway, so I would rather do a whole new monster (which I don't have any skill yet, monsters and any humanoid/animal thing is just hard for me atm).
EvilGrins wrote: Or, search for a monster that has a hammer in another game and port it over to UT?
It's not my style of doing things. I like to do "fresh" stuff, I have nothing against ports (so whoever wants to do, do it), it's just it's not "my thing" porting stuff from another game to UT.
The only time I did something as close to "port", was in the UTR/UT99 CMP2 project and even so 90% of things were done from scratch by me, Creavion and Proof. For anything else, I prefer originality and doing from scratch.
And the only resources I use from another games are "base" textures and some sounds from UT2k4 and UT3, because we're allowed to freely use them and modify them as long it's for an UT mod or map (yeah, even those I modify, or try to).