MapvoteLAv2 release

Search, find and discuss about Mutators!
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Re: MapvoteLAv2 release

Post by JackGriffin »

I've talked a couple of people into switching into their monitor default res these last few days and I've gotten email thanks from both. It takes a little bit to get used to seeing more but don't fear change.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
ASLY

Post by ASLY »

Im playing with 1280x1024 resolution and my UT is freezing beginning of the game, and this is the error message:
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

Send me your unrealtournament.log file the next time it freezes. Copy it before you restart UT again otherwise it will overwrite the error log.

Alternatively you might consider a switch to openGL. It runs better and you don't have that music playing bug.
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

medor wrote:Do not you focus on my case.
The most important is that this is not a step to reduce the choices of players.

If it stays like that personally I do not mind really but I think especially of disgust not even a minority of players.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

The only way you will actualy get more on screen is by changing the FOV option. Otherwise you will see the same height and width ratio, even if you had a 5 metre screen.
It is not the same as getting more on-screen the way you get more in an isometric RPG or Command and Conquer style game.
If you are already seeing maximum polygons and do not have Hi-res texture packs, then looking at a surface with 256x256 textures does not look any better in a higher screen size.
The optimal size would be based on how big a version of the texture packs you use.
I am using the 1024x1024 textures so by default 1024x768 is my "native" UT size.

*Back on subject now*
Back in the Amiga days we never had his problem with GUI's as people made them "font-sensitive", so your menus fit whatever screen or font combination you use.
No idea why the PC world never took to this simple idea. Makes everything work for everyone.
The size of any GUI should be a relative value based on 2 simple factors, so if the user wants a smaller/larger GUI, they just change the font size.
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

Most UWindow code like this is written with scaling in mind but Cratos (for some reason known only to him) actually has code like this in it (this is that little bit of text above the player list and what maps have been voted):

Code: Select all

lblStatusTitles.SetText("Rank   Map name                       Votes                          Player name    Votes");
so that it has zero flexibility as it pertains to scale. Manual spaces? Really? And the rest of the code is like this too. THAT'S why I'm not going to address flexibilty of resolution size.

Sorry medor, if I had a free week I'd consider maybe doing it but this is something that another person is going to have to take up the cause on. There just aren't enough players forced to 800 to cause an entire mod rewrite.
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

medor wrote:
This issue size come only just change the font size and background colors ? Or the extension of the functions ini to ?
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

I'm sorry but I don't really understand your questions. Are you wanting the font to be changed?
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

medor wrote:
JackGriffin wrote:I'm sorry but I don't really understand your questions. Are you wanting the font to be changed?

Sorry for my English :loool:

Is this http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/6452/800x600m.jpg come only from you have change the font size and background colors columns ?

If it's true : My idea would be to return original columns but with maintain other improvement since
* Made columns larger to see more of the map name
* Background color changed to sandy brown, easier on the eyes
* Fixed various mis-spellings
* ListFilters expanded to 256
* Exclude Filters expanded to 64

I seem to be critical but I want to let you know that I greatly respect your work.
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

The single greatest problem with mapvote is that you can't see the map names, everything else is secondary. In order to see the map names the columns must be expanded. In order to expand the columns I had to go larger than 800 width, and by quite a lot actually since any expansion has to be spread across 4 widths.

I don't take any exception to your criticism, I'm glad you state your case. This is something for you to discuss with your server admin since it's his choice as to which one to use. Overwhelmingly though the returns I'm getting are positive, people are finally glad to be able to see. I've even gotten a request from a sniper server to make it larger (which I'm not going to do).

I've outlined why I'm not interested in making dynamic scaling of the voting screen and I've offered to post the code to anyone that wants to try. I don't mean to sound unfriendly but I did what I wanted to do with mapvote, I released it, and I'm pretty much done with the mod. The choice of use is completely up to the server admin as I clearly state in the readme (and to my announce posts) that 1024 is required so it's up to them if they want to make that jump. I'm sorry that it doesn't suit your choice of resolution but 800 players are in a very small minority and the effort involved to make this mod work for them is much greater than the demand.

<That's maybe a little harsher than I wanted to say, but you get the idea>
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

medor wrote:OK

as feli say i go to 1366x768 for moment

So we can set font size double echap/options/préférence/double .
question:
Is ther a way to set it 0.5 for player who can not have a big resolution for no strong pc ? as the problem is partially solved
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

Yeah that could be done but font is declared a great number of times throughout the code (I see at least 23 times). You'd need to create switches for every one of them as well as making sure you return the font to normal after you execute the function. Like I've said several times, there's no cheap and easy solution and that's why no one is jumping up to get after it.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

I wouldn't worry about it over-all GoGriffin,
this thread seems to be now more about the potential, rather than the reality of what is.
Still interesting, from a technical point of view, but going no where.
Bloeb
Experienced

Post by Bloeb »

JackGriffin wrote:Yeah if you want to undertake the project then by all means I'll send you the source code. I'm not going to even attempt it because Cratos hard-coded this thing to work at 800X600. The spacing is done manually and in order to add on-the-fly scaling you'd need to do some very serious coding of it. Just to make the rather minor adjustments I did took me a full day of adjust/compile/test/adjust/compile/test. It's incredibly tedious work and now I know why subsequent private mapvotes I've seen didn't use his UWindows code.
Hehe, I figure it would be a tedious task. Afterall, the UWindow-code (and other UI-code) in UT is hardcoded as well. Unfortunately I don't have the time either, but I may get back on this when I do.
dkremod
Novice
Personal rank: DESTROYER

Post by dkremod »

anything on youtube, showing this mod in action? ????