What Controls, Disables and sets the Max Teams Box?

Search, find and discuss about Mutators!
Old UT Veteran
Experienced

What Controls, Disables and sets the Max Teams Box?

Post by Old UT Veteran » Tue May 01, 2012 3:15 am

Hey Guys,

I am new to scripting and other UT stuff. I am working on a particular gametype and I have endured a problem that I have been trying to fix. The problem is more like a personal issue that i have. When working on a mod or mutator, I want a full product. A gametype that will have support and all that fancy stuff; its own configurable rules and options if needed. Great gametypes such as Jailbreak, Monster Hunt and other ones have a wide variety of options and also provide great examples. So the issue that I am facing as you have might already guessed has to do with the Max Teams box under the rules tab. The gametype includes 2 teams, blue and red. So... if the gametype only supports 2 teams then why the hell I need that max teams box? The gametype that I am working on is not originally designed by me, mainly my friend to which I have to no contact right now. So I seek help from this forum because I have been draging on with this issue on for so long that it almost made me resign on this project.

The things that I would like to know:
1. What controls the on and off for the Max Teams Box?
2. How to set the number of teams allowed in a gametype?
3. Can it be done using UnrealEd or needs to be in a .uc using notepad?
4. How skilled do I need to be to do this? You define in what category.
5. How to set for example 2 teams and have no max teams box?

BTW.. Don't give me any scripting links. I have scarcely enough amount of time to work on this.

MrLoathsome
Inhuman
Personal rank: I am quite rank.

Re: What Controls, Disables and sets the Max Teams Box?

Post by MrLoathsome » Sat May 12, 2012 3:33 am

#1 That is buried pretty deep, which is probably why Epic did not bother hiding it for gametypes where it is irrelevant.
#2 See #4
#3 To do that, I think you would have to change a BUNCH of .uc files with Notepad.
#4 & 5
BTW.. Don't give me any scripting links. I have scarcely enough amount of time to work on this.
You answered those yourself. If you don't have time to read any scripting links, this wont be happening.

The amount of work that would be needed to make that Max Teams box go away for
gametypes where it is irrelevant, would be just crazy. Not worth the effort at all.

Perhaps you could put a piece of electrical tape over the part of your screen where the MaxTeams box shows up?
Like some people do with the "Check Engine" light on their car. LOL
blarg

JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Re: What Controls, Disables and sets the Max Teams Box?

Post by JackGriffin » Sat May 12, 2012 3:45 am

MrLoathsome wrote: Perhaps you could put a piece of electrical tape over the part of your screen where the MaxTeams box shows up?
Like some people do with the "Check Engine" light on their car.
Quote of the week :tu:

I would take it a step further and ask why using UWindows to set up your game bothers you? If you are scripting a mod for release then just set this up in your ini and be done with it. Admins that put it on servers will never use this way to setup anyway, it's just a single player-driven menu at heart.

If you really are doing true scripting work then you understand the parent-child relationship and questions such as "Why do I need to keep this setting" should be pretty obvious. Just because a mod or gametype narrows the focus of some part of the engine, it does not make the excluded parts irrelevant. They only become inaccessible but the engine still needs to know they are there even if they are set to zero or none (or unused in your case).
So long, and thanks for all the fish