Different carcases and giblets ...how to assign it?

Search, find and discuss about Mutators!
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Different carcases and giblets ...how to assign it?

Post by papercoffee »

I noticed in the default UT two different gibs...

Xan gibs for robots and human gibs for everything else.
But there are custom gibs like in the impossible Robot Skin when you shoot it metal parts and oversized computer chips flying around the map.
How many custom gibs are out there and how can I assign them to different models and skins?
It is pretty irritating to frag a custom robot model and get greenish Xan gibs.

Is there a mutator existing or is it not that difficult do make ? ...Maybe I try scripting (under guidance of course) :mrgreen:
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Re: Different carcases and giblets ...how to assign it?

Post by JackGriffin »

I bet you loathsome can do this :rock: If he doesn't have time, let me know and I'll show you where to hook the gibbing code so that you can gib anything you like.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
MrLoathsome
Inhuman
Personal rank: I am quite rank.

Post by MrLoathsome »

Interesting question.

The gibs get tricky, as they are not associated with any specific model or skin, but are tied to the CarcassType that the pawn you
are using has set in its defaults.

This could be possible with a mutator that would read in a list of pawn classes, and which Carcass class you want that pawn to use.
Would have to look into it a bit further to see how complicated it would end up getting....
blarg
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

So is this doable ...and where do I get more different gibs?? ...something scrap metal like for all robots like Tensor and Co. And greenish gibs for all aliens.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

It's a shame Runestorm didn't do a U1 version of their Ballistics gore system.
They chose to replace the blood and gibs with their own system, adding the things you (and all of us) want.
The manual gives a brief explanation of why and what they did.
Ballistic_Weapons_Manual(partial).rar
Ballistic Weapons - Manual (partial)
(653.35 KiB) Downloaded 194 times
Looking at their 2K4 mutator maybe a source of inspiration at least, but maybe they would even be helpful with tips on the subject. (worth a try)

Loathsome's MoreGorePlus mutator does change the blood to green for monsters. That's a start at least ! :lol2:
Actually talking of blood..
@Loathsome
In the MoreBlood mutator, is there a way to get the blood decals to be slippery. I know you can change the properties of a texture, but that would make it permanent. (maybe have it as a config switch?)
I think if you try to run across a blood-covered floor, it should behave like a skating-rink :satan:
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

Loathe I have base code for this if you want a jump start. It will require a replacement mutator for carcass to be spawned on everything but that's built into the two classes.
MrLoathsome
Inhuman

Post by MrLoathsome »

Actually I have done stuff like this in a few things, a few different ways.

The NewBirds use a MantaCarcass for their gibs. I just have the pawn class spawning a MantaCarcass and gibbing it right in the code for
function Died.

Used a different method in the Zombies5 things. The zombies use several different monster gib classes, but the
assignment is made in the defaults for the individual zombie pawn classes.

Green gibs for aliens is easy. Just use a Mercenary or Slith carcass.
Metallic gibs would be a bit trickier. Would either have to find some existing classes that could be tweaked into robotic gibs, or
create a new carcass class one way or another.

Slippery blood would be a whole other topic entirely. Not sure how one would go about changing properties on the blood decals to simulate a slippery floor.
That would require some testing and research or something...

Would be somewhat hesitant to dive into this project at the moment, as somebody else is already working on a new gib/gore system for UT
that is looking very interesting from the previews. Waffnuffly over at UnrealSP.org is doing it, and has posted some killer preview videos in the
thread for his EXU2- Batshit Insane project. Details and the vids in this giant thread: http://www.unrealsp.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1651
Kickable gibs, a bunch of new blood colors. All kinds of interesting stuff being worked on there.
blarg
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

I looked at that and it's just way overdone. I have a simple 2 class system that will fix every carcass (don't you hate killing an ice titan and the carcass instantly changes back to regular titan?) and give you a base for gibs to alter them as you like. That's much more in-line with what is needed here. Although I like Waff and I think he's a great guy you can see pretty clearly that this stuff is geared to SP and high-end boxes. Even his videos choke up and he's recording on local play. That's just too much for me, it needs to be simple and light because the vast majority of players here will be using it on a server.
MrLoathsome
Inhuman

Post by MrLoathsome »

Indeed it is overdone, but overdone well. EXU is Excessive Unreal after all...

It was challenging getting the Demo4 to run well on my antique P4 servers.
He has an amazing coder working with him (UA), and they have been releasing all the source with previous demos.

Sounds like you almost got a basic carcass swapper done already. Tweak it so it reads the classes from an ini file or something like that.
blarg
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

What we need to do is get together and package all this stuff into a proper add-on for games like MH and even DM. Since you are already working out the gibs and blood and stuff it's an easy addition to address the carcass itself. In fact you wouldn't need an ini much (if at all), you could use IsA and combine that with proper gib part assignments. Create a generic set of gibs for anything that doesn't properly match and you got a pretty nice mutator to add.
Vanlanthiriel
Novice

Post by Vanlanthiriel »

I think some player models have specific gibs (Nali cow, Nali and skaarjs) if that's what you ask for.
I wonder if same is possible for monsters and how? I noticed few monsters don't have their own gibs - Queen is best example here, as it really needs own gibs.