New spawns (mutator alpha ver)

Search, find and discuss about Mutators!
UT99.org

New spawns (mutator alpha ver)

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:I've tested this and it works but maybe there are some problems. It's mostly a remake of LoathSome's RSL but you define the spawnpoints for each map

Note I have not given any ability to use this for team locations. So no team games unless all locations are in the middle of the map

The readme is very extensive maybe a little obsessive compulsive.

Let me know of any problems so I can release a revised version

Download:
newspawns_alpha.zip
newspawns mutator and trigger activator
(15.28 KiB) Downloaded 166 times
Edit:
Fixed bug: one of the lines fills server log up each time someone spawns, not an error, but meant to be able to be turned off

Fixed bug: do not load mutator on maps with no profile unless you are intending to set one up, If no profile exists it is spawning everyone in the middle of the map. I should've checked this before uploading. Nobody has downloaded yet, but I don't have access to the files from where I am at the moment
Last edited by UT99.org on Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
MrLoathsome
Inhuman
Personal rank: I am quite rank.

Re: New spawns (mutator alpha ver)

Post by MrLoathsome »

Cool.

Took a quick glance at it. Only main thing noticed offhand is that you are only checking for PlayerStarts when building
the array. Which may be causing the everyone spawning in the middle of the map problem on some maps.
I would suggest perhaps adding Pathnodes and Navigation Points as well when building the spawn location list. Perhaps inventory locations also.

If you looked at the RSL source, obviously I went a bit overboard in adding locations to the list in that, but those I just mentioned should be safe.
blarg
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:(Updated the link, should correctly work on maps that are not set up, and produce no more logging)

Yeah had some fun on Morbias][ where it was full blown funnel map, every spawn where the redeemer was. This is what happens when author assumes everyone who uses it will only use it on maps they have set up. I guess the bonus mutator is pointless too then. I have to remember we're dealing with people who have no idea how to set a server up to run efficiently, have no idea about making a server pleasant to play on, and will make people download a map again just to have an extra weapon or ammo somewhere

So, adding pathnodes for the bots to avoid camping is what I should do? Yeah, they will camp if they spawned somewhere and don't know where to go. Didn't your code create spawn points on existing paths? This is much different then because the user defined spawnpoints can be anywhere. Not sure the best way to accomplish this, would you do it by taking the difference between the new spawn and the closest pathnode, and "spawning" in new pathnodes in between?

This is all new to me, I don't make maps, do I have to connect the pathnodes together somehow or is that all automatic, just spawn 'em in? You mention Navigation Points and inventory locations can you go into more detail
Wises
Godlike
Personal rank: ...

Post by Wises »

do a couple of tutorials from here : http://www.birrabrothers.com/drac/index.php?dsps=3

set aside a few hours.. actually start with the ued tutorial to learn how to move / copy / paste / rotate things..

Mr Loathesome also does not know much about mapping.. let alone myself.. haven't touched it since joust][2c tbh

if you can read / have a little bit of patience / and follow instructions.. then you'l cain all of the tutorials on there site within 1-2 days.. and believe me it will open up a whole new world for you. ;)

once you get the hang of it you will be looking into movers and triggers like on Dawns Maps and maybe even the more advanced stuff within the editor.

most important thing with ued.. is save save save... and.. save

because one small fkup and the pos will crash like an 747 from Aircrash Investigation.

aside from that research BSP.. and HOM's and what causes them.. I think bbdrac talk a bit about these things also..

good luck.

ohh in game when you go into console > showall

apples are the bot path nodes
dragon heads are I think scriptedpawns / coded elements.. translocations and lifty type things. for bot use also zone info's and portals.. for like hyper map and other normal/lowG maps..

light switches are Triggers ... which you connect to things.. and turn on off / open close etc..

honestly .. I think you'll start to get larger ideas and stuff once you tap into it.. if you decide to tap into it.. :)

oh and the joysticks are the playerstarts.. ..

wont take you long to explore all the nooks and grannies in the editor.. but best place for anyone to start these days is bbdrac.. also medor has some tutorials in his repository from way back.. and theres actually some posts in here from a few months ago which have some hefty downloads of all the old mapping tutorials from sites long since erased from The WayBackMachine.../

:tu:
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:Thanks for the tutorial. It was more a question on bot pathing and I don't care a whole lot about it, even some of the best maps with every type of trigger there is don't support bots properly. I'll definitely add support for adding items into maps before final release. I could probably use a 'setviewrotation' type function as well so they don't spawn facing walls.

BTW Wises, you were the one who was requesting something like this, if you make the spawnpoints visible like you said, and make use of the dumplocation then you should be able to remove the spawn point that gives you a headache in Arcane Temple. It should change things dramatically. Sigh, ArcaneTemple uses the same texture set as DOM-Olden and is so much better but its a bonus pack, those who don't have GOTY don't even mess with their cache settings. This is why I like making server-side mutators like this is they can be easily tested with large player numbers and no mismatches or low UT versions not downloading

On that note I don't intend to "release" everything on new forum threads here. This is an exception because it was requested. I intend to use my own site which I will put in my signature. I suppose I'll resurrect my old thread introducing myself and post them through that as well
Wises
Godlike
Personal rank: ...

Post by Wises »

ok cool :) be interesting to see how she pans out :tu: keep up the good works.

btw the awkward spots that we were dealing with , were actually in the Crates on stawart and in the room with the car opposite the pulse..

@MrLoathesome: in fact I think that.. I have a fix for the crate by the pulse.. as inside of it spawns the keg-o-health .. therefore target that particular object and ban that location .. and seeming as there is rarely more the 2 keg-o-health in a map you could potentially bypass any areas containing this item..

in fact lets go bigger and make it so that players cannot spawn on top of or at in pickup's locations at all , like the vials , medkits , armour and belts weapons / ammo points etc..

this also solve the issue of spawning in sky on w00tabulous as in the sky are vials I think that could have registered the spot as a spawn location..

another problem we had which seemed to be a major issue for at least one player .. was spawning between battles.. but tbh ... no0ne else really cared and if that required something complex then I think we could do with out it..

I will now go and open stawart in my UED and see what kinds of actors are inside the room with the car and see what item could have caused players to spawn there as well..

tbh you know aside from the Spawning in the Sky on w00t and the crates in stalwart The rest of then spawns were really cool and I considered them like hidden treasures.. for example.. i never knew that in turbine I think.. or one of those maps.. that there was an invisi up the top above stairs .. until one day I spawned mid air nearby and boof there it is..

:)