Death Tournament [Under Development].

Search, find and discuss about Mutators!
UTDeath
Skilled
Personal rank: Tournament Champion.

Death Tournament [Under Development].

Post by UTDeath »

The Death Tournament is an Unreal Tournament Mutator that replaces all Weapons & Pickups found in a normal Unreal Tournament match. It does not only replace the thirteen Unreal Tournament Weapons but also all Health Items, Armor Pickups, Power Ups, Effects and even some common Unreal Pickups as well, like the SCUBA Gear or the Flashlight. Also, the Death Tournament brings new Game Play Mechanics into the game and extra Mutators.
Spoiler
Note: Currently most of the Effects and color schemes present in the Death Tournament, like the Teleport Effect, will be Red. It is this way because that is my favorite color but as the project grows some of those Effects will be changed to fit the standard Team Colors and others, like the Blood Cannon, will be changed to fit the colors present in Feral dragon’s NW Ultra Gore SSE.

Note: I think more technical and therefore I take Red as a color while I take Black as a tone but I prefer Black over Red.

Spoiler
Pickups [General]
Damageable Pickups: All Pickups, except for the Weapons, can now sustain Damage and react according to it. Health Items and Armor Pickups will have their values reduced, Health or Charge, and disappear if the Damage taken was higher than their default values. Power Ups and Ammunition will have their own different Effects depending on what they are or do.
Explanation: It works this way to add realism to Pickups as they should be able to take Damage and react to it even if they are not being used by a Player.

Ammunition Packs
Explosive Ammunition: All Ammunition Packs will now explode when they are damaged, the resulting Effects will vary depending on the type of Ammunition.
Explanation: Explosive Ammunition is mandatory on the Death Tournament and not an option as we see in the DE Mutators for Unreal Tournament. It works this way to add realism to Ammunition Packs as they should be able to take Damage and react to it.

Armor Pickups
New Pickup Behavior: Armor Pickups now work the same way as Health Items do and therefore they can only be picked up if the current Charge value is below the default Charge value. They were also modified to work with each other and not being “absorbed” by other Armor Pickups as the Shield Belt does with the Body Armor and the Thigh Pads.
Explanation: Each Armor Pickup has its own Charge value and it is not shared with other Armor Pickups, therefore a Player can have its Body Armor damaged but keep its Thigh Pads intact. Then said Player can pick another Body Armor, as the one he has was already damaged and therefore had its Charge reduced, but not another pair of Thigh Pads as they still have all of their Charge.

Damage – Protection System: All Armor Pickups come with two Protection Types and they will be different depending on the Armor Pickup.
Explanation: If a Player is attacked by a Damage Type that is protected by one of his Armor Pickups then said Player won’t take any Damage and that Armor Pickup won’t have its Charge reduced either.

Power Ups
New Pickup Behavior: Power Ups now have to be activated manually.
Explanation: Power Ups had to be modified this way as there is more than one type for each of them and that would create a conflict. This, however, has the upside of giving more freedom and a larger range of possibilities to Players as they can now choose when and how they want to use their Power Ups.

“Broken” Power Ups: Power Ups that are damaged but not destroyed will have different Effects depending on the amount of damage and the type of Power Up.
Explanation: Not all the resulting Effects will be negative for the Owner of the Power Ups, just as they could be weakened or made less effective, they could be powered up as a side effect of the damage.

Death Messages: All the Death Tournament Weapons that can perform a Headshot now have two different Death Messages, one for normal Kills and another for Headshot Kills.

Headshot Messages: Headshot Messages now work according to what triggered the Headshot.
Explanation: The Headshot Messages the Player can get were modified to fit the type of Headshot and they work for Weapons and for Ammunition Packs.

Pickup Messages: Pickup Messages were modified for Ammunition Packs, Health Items and Armor Pickups to display the exact value the Player receives and for Power Ups to display if they were damaged.
Explanation: The values displayed will change according to how much a Player can get, if close to the maximum value or if the Pickup was damaged.

Note: Currently all new Game Play Mechanics are related to Pickups as that is what I am working with but as the project grows and I get involved in other aspects of the game I will probably bring new Mechanics to other things like Game Types.

Note: On Armor Pickups, Charge is the same as the Armor Points you see in the HUD.

Note: On Power Ups, if a Player activates a Power Up and said Player already had a Power Up of the same type activated, the new Power Up will be used to restore the Power Up that was already active.
The manual activation is only applied for Power Ups, Health Items and Armor Pickups are still automatically used, the Shield Belt included.

Spoiler
Almost Finished:
Enhanced Health Vial: Restores ten Health Points with a limit of six hundred Health Points.
Enhanced Health Pack: Restores forty Health Points with a limit of eight hundred Health Points.
Enhanced Health Pack [Large]: Restores four hundred Health Points with a limit of a thousand Health Points.

Blood Vial: Restores ten Health Points with a limit of six hundred Health Points.
Blood Pack: Restores forty Health Points with a limit of eight hundred Health Points.
Blood Pack [Large]: Restores four hundred Health Points with a limit of a thousand Health Points.

Important Notice: Although it is not necessary, it is highly recommended that Players change to the Unreal HUD while using the Death Tournament replacement Mutator. The Unreal HUD will display the different Items a Player has on its Inventory as well as telling which ones are active and which ones are not and also display the exact values of both Health and Armor.

This post will be updated as the project grows and will provide.
As always, all feedback is welcome be it comments, suggestions, questions, critics and even requests. Help is welcome as well from anyone who wants to take part in this project as there is still a lot of work to do.
I will credit every and each person that helps me accomplish this goal and finish this project, either actively working with me or by providing resources seen in other Mutators. I will not use any Models, Textures, Sounds or exact copies of Code unless given permission by their owners.
Last edited by UTDeath on Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:01 am, edited 4 times in total.
You cannot kill what is already dead.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: Death Tournament. [No Download Yet!].

Post by papercoffee »

And I hope you will provide some screenshots/videos to show the action ;)
Acid.OMG
Adept
Personal rank: XFIRE: mmmmtoasty

Post by Acid.OMG »

papercoffee wrote:And I hope you will provide some screenshots/videos to show the action ;)
pics or it didnt happen... haha good luck id love to see them
[/Awesome]
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Acid.OMG wrote:
papercoffee wrote:And I hope you will provide some screenshots/videos to show the action ;)
pics or it didnt happen... haha good luck id love to see them
Says a guy that doesn't post pics of his work too. :ironic:
UTDeath
Skilled

Post by UTDeath »

papercoffee wrote:And I hope you will provide some screenshots / videos to show the action ;)

Yes, I will and I will also provide a quick description of the Weapons and Pickups that are already done, I'm just not as happy with the textures and all that yet so as soon as I work that out I will show what's up. I'd love to be able to make a video with it but my computer is not as good as to be able to run UT and record video smoothly, I will try to do it anyway but at my uncle's computer as he has better ones but I don't go there often, perhaps next weekend.

Currently Working On: I made the effects work and look cool thanks to the Disintegration mutator (by David Catmull). Now I just have to adapt them a little better for the Health Items and then modify them to work with the Blood Health Items and the Armor.

I made a main Health class and then a extention for Blood Health. They are the exact same thing but when you pick up a Blood Health Item the screen flashes red and you hear a heartbeat. :)
Because of this I have to change the sparks for blood drops and all that. I will use the chunks of wall you usually see when you shoot a wall for the Armor, you know, because the Armor gets damaged. I may even modify the main Armor class to add this effect when it is equipped, that would make it look cooler.

Disintegration: Changes blood for sparks and dead players will burst into sparks instead of becoming a corpse or gibs.
http://utdatabase.99k.org/files/ut99/mu ... on_v11.zip
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Can you make sure hi-res skins are available or included.

Some nice tweaks in the list BTW. I really like the damage to the pickups and my all-time favorite "volatile-ammo".
The disintegration effect would be cool as a mutator for standard energy weapons.
UTDeath
Skilled

Post by UTDeath »

Dr.Flay wrote:Can you make sure hi-res skins are available or included.

Sure thing but what exactly do you mean with "Hi-Res Skins"? I know that is high resolution but I am not sure what you want to see.
Dr.Flay wrote:Some nice tweaks in the list BTW. I really like the damage to the pickups and my all-time favorite "volatile-ammo".

Thank you. The Volatile Ammo code was modified from the DE Mutators, I will credit all Mutators and all that people when I release it, no one will be left out unmentioned if they helped me accomplish this. :)
Dr.Flay wrote:The disintegration effect would be cool as a mutator for standard energy weapons.

Yes, I feel some UT Weapons lack Effects and other things. I actually made some black smoke spawn from the victims of the Pulse Gun's bolt as they are getting burned because I made the Damage Type 'Electrocuted'.
Last edited by UTDeath on Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spectra
Masterful
Personal rank: Nullified!

Post by Spectra »

Liked your Weapon names. And Good Luck Amigo! :tu:

You can make a Different Gametype so that it will load your Weapons Automatically without a Mutator.

All The Best! Can't Wait for your Weapon Pack :P
UTDeath
Skilled

Post by UTDeath »

Rocky wrote:Liked your Weapon names. And Good Luck Amigo! :tu:

Thank you Rocky, I am actually working on that because I am happy with those names but I still have to make a lot of other Weapons and Pickups and I don't know if I have that much imagination.
Rocky wrote:You can make a Different Gametype so that it will load your Weapons Automatically without a Mutator.

I thought about that at first but I don't really like the idea, it would make a bunch of copies of the Game Types when I could reduce that to a single Mutator. It looks ugly in my opinion, like all those unnecessary Game Types the Excessive Mutator has. I thought more as Game Types that change the Game Play, Scores and Goal and not the equipment found in the map.
Rocky wrote:All The Best! Can't Wait for your Weapon Pack :P

Again, thank you Buddy but I am afraid you will have to wait for a little while. There is much work left to do and I find myself constantly modifying the things that I thought were already finished, this will delay the release of the Mutator but I am hoping it makes the whole thing much better.

Alright guys, for those you read the first post I updated it a little. Most of it is what you knew, I just added some small information and the background.
Spectra
Masterful
Personal rank: Nullified!

Re: Death Tournament [Under Development].

Post by Spectra »

Not a problem. I was just giving some ideas. But you do whatever you feel right!

If you have any problem regarding Coding, Importing, Textures, ..... just feel free to ask.
Everyone are here to help ;) 1 way or another
UTDeath
Skilled

Post by UTDeath »

Rocky wrote:If you have any problem regarding Coding, Importing, Textures, ..... just feel free to ask.
Everyone are here to help ;) 1 way or another
I know Man, thanks. :)
That's why I will be posting with what I am currently working on so in case I get stuck people can follow. :P
UTDeath
Skilled

Post by UTDeath »

Updated it a little bit with what I have done .
I managed to add or change the Effects for the Health Items. One for when they are picked up, one for when they take damage, another one for when they are destroyed and a last one for when they Respawn.
I was also successful in making the new Message work so Players will always know just how much Health they got.
Now I am working on the Armor but with the Health already working this should be much quicker.
UTDeath
Skilled

Post by UTDeath »

Thanks you GEx, I will be posting a little Mutator soon, perhaps tomorrow, that won't be the Weapon Pack itself but just a little replacement of the UT Health Items that will have new Effects and such so you people get an idea of what I am doing.

By the way, can you see the pictures or they appear as broken images?