Could someone please create this mutator? Time control-ish

Search, find and discuss about Mutators!
Kerr Avon
Novice

Could someone please create this mutator? Time control-ish

Post by Kerr Avon »

Someone has written a demo of a forthcoming game, called Superhot (stupid, generic name :???: ), you can play it at

http://superhotgame.com/

The thing is, it's a (basic) first person shooter, with one unique point - time only moves when you do. It's probably better for you to try it than for me to describe it, but basically the entire gameworld and everything in it only advances in time when you move or shoot or look around or whatever. When you're not pressing a key (on your PC's keyboard) and not moving your mouse then the game world and anything in it is frozen in time. As long as you do anything (be it move, mouselook, shoot, etc) then time advances as normal, and the game's NPCs and whatever all proceed normally, but as soon as you (the player) cease all action then the game world freezes.

I think this would make an interesting mutator for Unreal Tournament and Unreal Tournament 2004. It would get boring after a while I know, and it would only work for one human player matches, I think, as otherwise the game world would only become frozen when all human players stopped moving, which would be very rare, but even so it would make a great novelty mutator.

So if anyone here likes the idea, and has the skill to program it, then please think about making it into a mutator, as it could be great.

Thinking about it, the following options for the mutator could be very good;

On each of the following four options, the user is free to set as the value one of three values; Full Speed, Half Speed, and Freeze Time. Any or all of the four options can have any of the three values.

Options;

1. When the user is not pressing any key/mouse axis/controller/whatever, then the game speed is: Full Speed, Half Speed, or Freeze Time.

2. When the user performs any movement (including fire), then for as long as the key (or mouse function) is held down (or moved, if it's the mouse) then the speed becomes: Full Speed, Half Speed, or Freeze Time

3. When the user looks around (whether with the mouse or any key that's set to look around) then the speed becomes: Full Speed, Half Speed, or Freeze Time

4. A (definable) key (default might be 'Q') is listed in the options as "For as long as you hold this key time becomes": Full Speed, Half Speed, or Freeze Time

[NB, in the points below I've highlighted the speeds in colour for clarity, they don't have to be listed in colour in the mutator, of course. Also, by "Full speed", it means normal UT gamespeed (whatever % is set in the UT menu).]

The key defined in point 4 will allow (by pressing it) time to continue as normal, or whatever else you set it to. For example, if the options are set to;

1. When the user is not pressing any key/mouse axis/controller/whatever, then the game speed is: Freeze Time

2. When the user performs any movement (including fire), then for as long as the key (or mouse function) is held down (or moved, if it's the mouse) then the speed becomes: Full Speed

3. When the user looks around (whether with the mouse or any key that's set to look around) then the speed becomes: Full Speed

4. A (definable) key (default might be 'Q') is listed in the options as "Default Time - for when key [Q] is pressed": Half Speed

Then in the above case, if the user is not doing anything, then the game stops dead, but if he moves (including jumping, shooting, whatever - any input really apart from just looking around) then the game reverts to full speed UNTIL he stops moving at which point the game stops dead again. If the user looks (or looks AND moves) then the game goes at full speed until the user stops. And if the user presses the special default time key (in the above case Q) then the game goes at half-speed for as long as that key is pressed.

One other thing - it will be possible for the user to move and look at the same time (it will happen extremely often, of course), even though both options might be set to different time values, so there will have to be an option to cover this. I suggest something like;

5. If the user is moving AND looking at the same time, then treat the time mode as: Full Speed, Half Speed, or Freeze Time

Of course, it's possible that the user might look, move and press Q all at the same time, with three different time values set for those options but this won't be a problem, as the Q key should over-ride everything else, so as long as Q is pressed then only the Q time value is used.

Another good feature might be if there was another speed setting; double speed. This could be an option for any of the settings, along with Full Speed, Half Speed, or Freeze Time, if it's possible for UT to support a double speed setting, but if it's not possible (or not practical) then fair enough, the three speeds (Full Speed, Half Speed, or Freeze Time) would be enough.

Thanks for reading.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: Could someone please create this mutator? Time control-i

Post by papercoffee »

You want a single player mod to freeze the time/game ... :noidea for what?
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

I believe this technically already exists in UT, as it's incorporated into the keyboard.
It's called the Pause/Break key.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Kerr Avon
Novice

Post by Kerr Avon »

It does seem pointless, admittedly, but in the game I link to it's interesting (albeit for a short time) and I just thought it would be novel to be able to do it in UT. I don't think it would make any real difference to the game, except to make things easier (as you could pause for thought whenever you liked) but it would be an interesting mutator to play around with/
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Isn't there a bullet-time mod available? How did this mod handle this?
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

This delightful little flash game should help anyone get the idea.
Try your steady hand at being a time-traveling cat.
When everything stops, you no longer know how fast everything is moving. It is a trade-off.

Time 4 Cat:
Time 4 More Cat:
noccer
Adept
Personal rank: Proud Terrorist

Post by noccer »

Darn ...

Those games can be addictive for short time ;)

I like that Time4more cat, the cat topic is great, but as an unreal mutator ..... noooo

>>You can't steal any ip (v4)adresses, there are exactly 4294967296 of them, and they will still exist when you wrote down all of them, or are stored in a (master)servers database ;)<<
Kerr Avon
Novice

Post by Kerr Avon »

A poster named Meowcat has created this mutator for UT2004, and it's turned out to be quite enjoyable. If you play UT2004 then download the mutator from

http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=202081

it's well worth trying. It's only for Instant Action, against bots, but that's all we'd want it for, anyway, as it couldn't really work with two or more humans playing.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Ok I did see the "Superhot" trailer on greenlight... Well, What an interesting concept.
It's more an puzzle game than a normal FPS. :tu: