Flying Mutator

Search, find and discuss about Mutators!
Raviex
Average

Flying Mutator

Post by Raviex »

I've seen a couple mutators (IE SLV) that allow a person to fly. I'd like to incorporate a "jetpack" type of movement as a mutator but am not sure how to go about setting that up. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions about where to go to develop something like this?
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Re: Flying Mutator

Post by EvilGrins »

http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Raviex
Average

Post by Raviex »

Thanks for the links but that tells me it can be done . . . but not how to do it.
TheDane
Masterful
Personal rank: Happy fool :-)

Post by TheDane »

Raviex wrote:that tells me it can be done . . . but not how to do it.
It sounds to me like you have just started coding? If so this is not the best mod for you to begin with, it can get pretty difficult if you want to make the jetpack feel "right".

But you can always start with modifying the SLV? Create a mesh that looks like a jetpack and put it on the players back (make a map with mirror walls, that way you can check in game if the jetpack aligns to the player model as you wish, take notice that a female soldier and a skaarj trooper model will not have same size but will have same collision radius).

Once you got that right, start with modifying the SLV's behaviour in air.

Good luck :mrgreen:
Retired.
Raviex
Average

Post by Raviex »

Thanks The Dane,

I have done a bit of coding though that was back in college. I'm focused on starting a "Computer Gaming Club" at the High school I teach at and thought UnrealEd2 would be an appropriate difficulty level for the kids. The jetpack was just an idea I had when playing with it again. I'll play with the SLV and see what I can do. Thanks again.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Raviex wrote:Thanks for the links but that tells me it can be done . . . but not how to do it.
True, but my thought was, as with most things, if you take apart the work of someone else and see what they did you might come up with ideas for how to do the same but in your own fashion.

A lot of the map editing & skinning I know how to do I learned in just this manner.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:The double jump UT mutator has settings that allow you to triple jump, unlimited etc. And other settings like how high the 'jump' is each time, and how long between each jump. Therefor holding jump key would achieve the same effect as a simple jetpack. Sorry I do not have a link but thought this info might help you or someone
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

There are already jetpack mutators.
I cant find anything at the mo, but I'll keep an eye out.
Raviex
Average

Post by Raviex »

All I've found is for UT2004 and UT3. The Dane made a nice mutator for flying that works pretty good however.