IRC autojoin on player connect (request)

Search, find and discuss about Mutators!
fili
Novice

IRC autojoin on player connect (request)

Post by fili »

Hi :) I just want to do something like this. There would be a simple IRC client with players on the channel listed on the right side and submenu msg, whois and maybe something more when the playre's name is clicked. Client would be shown if someone types !i or !irc in with the say command. Just like !v, !vote in mapvote. The players nicks in-game would begin with "^" character, or some simple authorisation of users maybe.
I would do it by myself even if it'd took me more than 2 weeks, but the problem is that I don't know how :/ Please help
Sp0ngeb0b
Adept

Re: IRC autojoin on player connect (request)

Post by Sp0ngeb0b »

I've been thinking quite a few times about creating an IRC client as a plugin for Nexgen. It's not that hard to do, since UT brings it's build-in IRC client and Nexgen brings the perfect GUI, so you just need to connect these two. I've dropped the idea though cause I found it somehow unneccessary since a) UT already has its own IRC client and b) player's should be playing on your server, not chatting around on IRC :lol2:
Website, Forum & UTStats

Nexgen Server Controller || My plugins & mods on GitHub
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

I know you can join IRC if you are using XConsole, and you can set up the autojoin command as well. But only if you connect to it. Also, when you open your xconsole, you can set an alias like j for join irc, it will do it. It also have interesting feature as well so if you get disconnected from a server, the irc chat is still there.

http://www.unrealize.co.uk/index.php?xconsole
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
fili
Novice

Post by fili »

I know what xconsole is, but there is a problem... Every player must download it and configure manually. So nobody would care about it. It'd be nice if the client downloads and automatically join the channel and players have nothing to do/configure like the mapvote mutator.
Chamberly
Godlike

Post by Chamberly »

I don't think it's any hard to manually configure just like you would have to configure UT. I get the idea that many peoples like you just want everything configured and insta play right away but then who would catch the trouble if no one really pay attention to what they would download when it could include a cheat if no one really pay attention to what they are downloading? Just like you gotta check and see if your car light's are on before you go out at night if you don't want a ticket lol.

I know there is some already pre-configured UT (I just think it's silly tho) but for xconsole, it's up to you to make your own pre-configured by making back up of your files. Unless you are really lazy... then I can't help. Just sayin.
fili
Novice

Post by fili »

Ok maybe some coder will help me to implement this concept?

Is there any good editor with gui? You know, 'make button' and puff! buton appeared, then I'm setting up what happen when it's clicked?
Maybe i can do it, but I don't know where to start at.
noccer
Adept
Personal rank: Proud Terrorist

Post by noccer »

Depending on the network you have a number of allowed connections from 1 ip. One user has 5 connections to quakenet and you force him to a new connection, he will be killed or maybe z-lined (serverban) or g-lined (network ban).
No, please don't do that or get a trust and make your gameserver a relay like a bouncer.

>>You can't steal any ip (v4)adresses, there are exactly 4294967296 of them, and they will still exist when you wrote down all of them, or are stored in a (master)servers database ;)<<
fili
Novice

Post by fili »

It's no problem, i can run my own IRC server. I didn't done it before, but there are bunch of tutorials on the net. Guys, come on
Sp0ngeb0b
Adept

Post by Sp0ngeb0b »

If you really consider realizing this, you wouldn't launch the IRC connections from the gameserver, but from each client. As I said, create a GUI with Nexgen, and direct the input to your (small customized) version of the buildin IRC client on each player, redirect the output back to the GUI. It's not that hard to do, but requires some knowledge about some basic concepts and definitly a lot of time if you've never programmed before. I doubt anyone will do the work for you, since it still requires some effort, which isn't - at least for me - worth it.
Website, Forum & UTStats

Nexgen Server Controller || My plugins & mods on GitHub
Chamberly
Godlike

Post by Chamberly »

fili wrote:Ok maybe some coder will help me to implement this concept?
Spoiler
Is there any good editor with gui? You know, 'make button' and puff! buton appeared, then I'm setting up what happen when it's clicked?
Maybe i can do it, but I don't know where to start at.
Maybe you really haven't looked into the .ini on how to automatically connect? If you wanna see that xconsole will let you...
Spoiler
This is what IRC looks like in XConsole.

This is an alias. An example of an alias looks like this:
AdminMenu[8]=(Name="g",Command=":connect Global;close")
And we also have a connect to a channel and auth.

Another thing is, you can customize your menu.
add something?

If someone trying to notify you, you can see this.

So to do all of that, it's in the xconsole.ini. I'll provide a copy of mine.

for xconsole.ini
for ut.ini
You know you can also use IRC in XBrowser?

Otherwise I guess you can make your own little IRC thing via mod menu.
Last edited by Chamberly on Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
UT99.org

Post by UT99.org »

billybill wrote:convo has moved away from origin question. yeah you could, but players would disconnect and reconnect between games and gets really annoying. regarding the already there chat browser you would need something special to change it's settings and connect it. interested to see how this thread comes along