Crossbow.

Search, find and discuss about Mutators!
UTX
Skilled

Crossbow.

Post by UTX »

In another thread, this one, Zeppy asked about a Crossbow mod based on the Chaos UT Crossbow for Monster Hunt, that's an idea I had for a while because I like the Crossbow and since I needed some code refreshment after the break I took, I decided to do it now. Not really thinking about Monster Hunt though, as I don't really play it, but focusing entirely on the Crossbow. This "new" _Crossbow was made with two things in mind, total focus on the Crossbow by expanding it and playing without the HUD, because I got interested in that.

To keep it short, I will only name the differences it has to the Crossbow:
- The _Crossbow is separated from the Crossbow, not a child class.
- The _Crossbow will not give the Player the Explosive Crossbow or the Poison Crossbow.
- The scope textures have been changed to those of the Nali Weapons III InfraRed Precision Rifle.
- The zoom stops have been changed from 3 zoom stops to 4, and those work with even numbers going from 2 to 8.
- Next to the zooming factor, a smaller number will display the current number of Arrows.
- Both the zooming factor and the Arrow count will change colors according to the Player's health, from green being fine to red being dangerous.
- The _Crossbow cannot be dropped, and killed Players will drop all their Arrows.

The _Crossbow currently only uses the normal Arrows, but I will expand it to have several different Arrows, perhaps an Arrow type for each of the other weapons replaced.
You can either use the Crossbow._Crossbow on the Custom Arena mutator or try the Weapons: Crossbows + Swords mutator I created for this.

You will need both Chaos UT and Nali Weapons III to run this.
This weapon could not have been edited, if it had not been created by the Chaotic Dreams team, so all credit goes to them, I'm just making minimal changes. Also, thanks to Ferali Dragon because his Nali Weapons III package gives me quite a lot of resources to play with.

He's alright, he just dropped his Arrows because he's dead.

The other weapons have been removed, and all ammunition packages are now Arrow Quivers.

The maximum zoom, showed as green because I'm healthy.

This is the minimal zoom, in a not so healthy orange color, the Arrow count is small in the screenshot, but in-game it is fine.
Attachments
_Crossbow.rar
(11.9 KiB) Downloaded 154 times
Zeppy
Novice

Re: Crossbow.

Post by Zeppy »

Looks nice, I'll take a look at this later. Modding the crossbow isn't easy (well for me that is) I couldn't find anywhere on the script where the arrow spawns when fired and tried to make it so it doesn't give me the poison and explosive arrows. I would love to use a crossbow in MH but it's not very strong, takes like 5 shots to kill a skaarj and poison arrows don't do anything on monsters.
Zeppy
Novice

Post by Zeppy »

How do you spawn it? I got the files required for it but it doesn't appear on the mutator list, tried opening it in UED but can't find it anywhere.
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Post by Gustavo6046 »

Zeppy wrote:How do you spawn it? I got the files required for it but it doesn't appear on the mutator list, tried opening it in UED but can't find it anywhere.
You don't need only the files required by it, but also itself. The attachment. Look for it and you've found it. :tongue:
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Zeppy wrote:How do you spawn it? I got the files required for it but it doesn't appear on the mutator list, tried opening it in UED but can't find it anywhere.
You need to have Chaos UT and Nali Weapons III installed. If you have these, then to get the crossbow in a game type summon Crossbow._Crossbow in the console.
UTX
Skilled

Post by UTX »

Yes, what OjitroC said.

I forgot to mention, you can delete the .ini file in there, it's just a placeholder as I do plan on making both the mutator and the weapon configurable, but after I'm done with everything else. That way you can make the arrows do as much damage as you want.
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

You better use a more unique name than crossbow.u or there will be clashes with other people that also use basic names. eg. crossbow.utx crossbow.umx
Pre-fix the name with something to show who made it, or what it is about.
UTX
Skilled

Post by UTX »

You're right, Doctor, I'll be sure to do that for its second release, which I don't know when will that be, I'm experimenting with different things right now for the arrows.
UTX
Skilled

Post by UTX »

I didn't want to double post but I got no option, I will update the first post for the third edition.

Here it is the second edition, please make sure you already have both Chaos UT and Nali Weapons III as this Crossbow will need those in your system folder to work. Also, please delete _Crossbow.int, Crossbow.u and _Crossbow.ini from your system folder as that was the first edition which had a different package name, I changed it to xCrossbow to make it a little different as suggested by Dr. Flay.

The changes on the second edition are:
- New sound when zooming in and out.
- The way the arrows spawn has been changed to improve accuracy.
- The arrow count when zooming in will now also display the arrow type being used (thought it only works with normal arrows for now, that will change on the third edition).
- The Crossbow now comes with a laser dot that will change colors according to the player's team (players will no team will have a red laser dot).

- Made a new Sword class that will not make sounds the first time it is selected and put down, this it because when spawning, players will hear those sounds even when the first weapon used is the Crossbow, I'm looking how to fix this within the mutator without an extra Sword class (it is short anyway so it doesn't matter much).

- The Crossbows + Swords mutator will no longer handle the players dropping their arrows, I made a separate mutator that will be added to the mutator list by the Crossbow, I made it so players will always drop their arrows regardless of wheter you're using the Crossbow + Swords mutator or not, in case you are using it in a custom arena, with the Stuff Swapper or something like that.

You can totally play without a HUD and without a crosshair now since the colors of the text show you how much health you got, the zoom scope shows the arrow type and arrow count and the new laser dot will show you where your arrows go when shooting.

Things I want to do for third edition:
- The arrow quivers will tell you exactly how many arrows you got by that certain arrow quiver.
- The Crossbow will display extra things, like armor and such things that are not shown yet without a HUD.
- The Crossbow will now also use the poison arrows and the explosive arrows.
- Customizable settings.

Please tell me what you think, what you would like me to add to it, what new arrow types you would like, what's needed, what's not needed.
Attachments
xCrossbow.rar
Second Edition.
(82.32 KiB) Downloaded 127 times
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

UTX wrote:I didn't want to double post but I got no option, I will update the first post for the third edition.
Double post thing only applies if the 2 posts are less than 48 hours apart. Your previous one was 3 days ago, so you were in the clear.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

UTX wrote:
Please tell me what you think, what you would like me to add to it, what new arrow types you would like, what's needed, what's not needed.
Will try this out later.

As regards new arrow types, U4e has a number of different arrow types for its bow - I can't now remember what they do but some are pretty powerful - perhaps you could check these out, if you haven't already.

Suggestions
  • Flame/Flaming arrow;

Freezer arrow (when hit by arrow start to freeze up as per NaliWeapons Freezer);

A cross between the poison and explosive arrows in that the arrow implants an explosive bolt which blows the head off after a short delay (5 or 10 seconds or whatever) rather than exploding on contact (the number of these available would need to be limited in the interests of balanced gameplay);

An arrow that shrinks or enlarges the hit victim (more jokey than anything else)

An arrow that exerts a force to push a victim backwards - off a ledge or into lava for example
UTX
Skilled

Post by UTX »

Thanks EvilGrins, I didn't know that.

That's what I had in mind actually, OjitroC, as I was planning on adding the Arrow types from Diablo II, another game I like. ;)
Not all of them but some, in case you have played Diablo II, you'll know what to expect among other things.

That delayed explosion arrow sounds a lot like the Cerebral Bore from Turok, one of my favorite weapons ever and something I definitely would like to see in Unreal Tournament, so I'll check into that. Perhaps to keep realism, I would probably make it explode where it hits rather than go to the head, more like the Mine Thrower from Resident Evil IV.

JlbuBbGtdWM

The size changing arrow could be made as well, sounds simple enough. I do like adding "fun modes" and joke functions to the things I make so it's probably going to be there.

I will make a pushing arrow that inflicts little or no damage, but only if I manage to get my hands on an arrow with a boxing globe attached to it like the ones Green Arrow uses, in case anyone wants to help me out with that as I don't know squat about modeling.

Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Post by Gustavo6046 »

EvilGrins wrote:
UTX wrote:I didn't want to double post but I got no option, I will update the first post for the third edition.
Double post thing only applies if the 2 posts are less than 48 hours apart. Your previous one was 3 days ago, so you were in the clear.
Weren't it 24 hours or something like that ?? :???:
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
MrLoathsome
Inhuman
Personal rank: I am quite rank.

Post by MrLoathsome »

Looking very nice UTX.

I really need to get my Chaos stuff updated soon.
blarg
UTX
Skilled

Post by UTX »

MrLoathsome wrote:Looking very nice UTX.
I really need to get my Chaos stuff updated soon.
Thank you. :)
I still have to polish some details, and there are some things I'm not so sure how to do or if I should do them at all, but it's moving.

I already thought about the Arrow types, with some help from OjitroC here, you will see. ;)