Porting NW3 to ZDoom

Discussions about everything else
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Porting NW3 to ZDoom

Post by Gustavo6046 »

I know this isn't pretty much a very good place to post this thread, but since this is also quite Doom-related then I doubt there is a better section to post this into.

Nali Weapons: Doom Edition is a port of Nali Weapons III's main weapons to ZDoom, which means:
Changes
  • It will occupy all slots in keyboard, unlike vanilla Doom where only 1-7 are used.
  • Unlike most ZDoom gameplay mods, monster gibbing is not included, so people can choose what gibbing system they want to choose for NW:DE (Smooth Doom, Nashgore, Brutal Doom, SimpleGore II, and others).
  • I will think of more later.
So this is the general plan: First some supporters take sprites from ingame screenshots (since I'm the Scripter, not the Artist :tongue: ) and I'll script the weapons using ZDoom's DECORATE power (basically a script format that allows the coding of actors, in a very different way from UT in that it uses "states", read more from the ZDoom WIki) and the sounds I'll find at Freesound.org, borrowed from Realm667 (the main Doom resource website) and/or even from Nali Weapons series itself. I'll convert the sounds to the Doom format (SND, which is the 1992 format from id Tech 1, and NOT from .nextGEN) and join then into the package (and this is when the Beta will be released to public).

After this, it will be easy peasy to do the final changes and bugfixes and it will be released Full Version! Nice plan, right? :)

I will do it alone? NO!! There will be supporters to rip sprites from UT NW3 screenshots and those that find good sounds to use.

So if you're interested in helping, then let me know via reply to this thread or PM!
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
FXANBSS
Skilled

Re: Porting NW3 to ZDoom

Post by FXANBSS »

You need the permission of Feralidragon first but he is not here, so your project is failed.

EDIT: About the FOV, you need to know what is the FOV of doom and then use that FOV in UT, the weapons will look better, not like the Unreal Minigun in that Russian Overkill mod for Doom. (looks ugly.)

I don't play doom, but i see tons of videos... lol
heliumcat
Skilled

Post by heliumcat »

FXANBSS wrote:EDIT: About the FOV, you need to know what is the FOV of doom and then use that FOV in UT, the weapons will look better, not like the Unreal Minigun in that Russian Overkill mod for Doom. (looks ugly.)
Coincidence, I was actually just playing RO before I read this post, the u-minigun in there rocks though and an ultimaprotos for example would definitely be a great addition to that already crazy mod.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Maybe NW3 is too much for Zdoom.
Why not try NW1 or NW2?
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
FXANBSS
Skilled

Post by FXANBSS »

EvilGrins wrote:Maybe NW3 is too much for Zdoom.
Why not try NW1 or NW2?
NW3 doesn't matter, there will be ugly graphics anyway, same with NW2 and NW1, also this needs feralidragon's permission so it's impossible to make this mod.
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

Ferali explicitly stated that all his code was open source. I've never seen him deny anyone anything. In fact he worked quite hard to make sure his source code was available and easy to get. He's said so much to me multiple times so I don't think any discussion on permissions matters at all.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

JackGriffin wrote:Ferali explicitly stated that all his code was open source. I've never seen him deny anyone anything. In fact he worked quite hard to make sure his source code was available and easy to get. He's said so much to me multiple times so I don't think any discussion on permissions matters at all.
^THIS!!!
Read the documentation in the last release of NW3.
Gustavo6046
Godlike

Post by Gustavo6046 »

I made my own MultiMissile Launcher sprites, and yea they're quite UGLY. I ain't very good at making Doom sprites. It would be better to replace them by actual screenshot-cropped sprites :P
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

You can extract them form doom or there is probably already a doom UTX package, with sprites.
Binary Space Partitioning
heliumcat
Skilled

Post by heliumcat »

I can see a good use of the gravitron for example with doom's exploding barrels. :thuup:
Gustavo6046
Godlike

Post by Gustavo6046 »

Red_Fist wrote:You can extract them form doom or there is probably already a doom UTX package, with sprites.
Doom doesn't use UTX packages, it uses WAD/PK3 files to store data about mods (including sprites, textures, flats, sounds, scripts, and the kind). WADs are like archives, only that the data is uncompressed and there are pointers to the files (called 'lumps') in the header, and if it is a IWAD it is loaded as if it were the game, and PK3s are ZIP files with renamed extension with a folder structure that allows easy management of mods (for example folder "Sprites" will contain all sprites for the mod). I am for example making a PK3 mod that uses DECORATE to script a bunch of sprites and sounds into weapons.
Edit wrote:
FXANBSS wrote:You need the permission of Feralidragon first but he is not here, so your project is failed.

EDIT: About the FOV, you need to know what is the FOV of doom and then use that FOV in UT, the weapons will look better, not like the Unreal Minigun in that Russian Overkill mod for Doom. (looks ugly.)

I don't play doom, but i see tons of videos... lol
I LOVE Russian Overkill and I could have asked Ferali's permission via ModDB!
Currently I only have MultiMissile Launcher sprites, they're ugly, only for the Normal mode and the Fire crashes the game.

More specifically, my target is only ZDoom source-port as other ports doesn't support DECORATE, PK3s and the kind.

I need sprites ripped from screenshots! And I know one person that's very good at them. ;)

Weapon of Destruction
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Oh bloody hellfire !
Back to the oldschool.

You will need to prepare shots of each item in UEd so you can have the right angles and clear cutting.
Knowing the units of a complete circle will allow you to type the values so each frame is exact.
Do not move the camera view once you start, or the frames will not match.
Gustavo6046
Godlike

Post by Gustavo6046 »

Dr.Flay wrote:Oh bloody hellfire !
Back to the oldschool.

You will need to prepare shots of each item in UEd so you can have the right angles and clear cutting.
Knowing the units of a complete circle will allow you to type the values so each frame is exact.
Do not move the camera view once you start, or the frames will not match.
Good idea! I was instead hand spriting. I will later ask Ferali's consent permission via ModDB... but how do I contact him? I didn't find a menu.

Weapon of Destruction
FXANBSS
Skilled

Post by FXANBSS »

No need, you can make it without permission as JackGriffin said.
Gustavo6046
Godlike

Post by Gustavo6046 »

Just to make sure ^^

So, in other words, I should load the weapons into UEd and make a gazillion of screenies per weapon. I take it from Mesh Browser instead, take the background off with Paint.NET and then convert into Doom GFX.

So far so good.

I already got 4 MultiMissile Launcher sprites, 2 for firing animation, 1 for still and 1 for pickup.

And now I haz dozens of explosion sprites! I animated ALL of them...

This is going to be awesome!

Weapon of Destruction