Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

GameFront is Closing Down April 30, 2016

Post by papercoffee »

Posted on April 13, 2016, Ron Whitaker
Ron Whitaker wrote:
GameFront is Closing Down April 30, 2016

To all of our loyal fans and site users:

We are sorry to announce that GameFront will be closing its doors permanently as of April 30, 2016. Since our founding as FileLeech almost 20 years ago, we have always strived to offer the best file hosting alongside quality gaming content. To all of our fans who have supported us throughout the years, we thank you for making us your destination for gaming files. Despite name changes, ownership changes, and staff changes, you have always made our jobs rewarding and fun.

If you have files that you would like to save from the site, you will need to make sure that you have downloaded them prior to April 30. Any files not downloaded by that time will no longer be accessible.

Again, thank you all for your support through the years. Game on!
http://www.gamefront.com/gamefront-is-c ... l-30-2016/

This information was brought to you by ASLYE702 (who still don't want to post openly)
Aldebaran
Masterful

Re: GameFront is Closing Down April 30, 2016

Post by Aldebaran »

This are bad news. I liked this site very much and I found many interesting maps there... :nonono:
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

That's a bummer for sure, though mostly the only thing I used GameFront for lately was to link to whenever I edited a map that incorporated Ferali's NW2 or NW3.

Fortunately, a stretch back, I setup this · http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/91090.html · as he also used mediafire, so I can just link to there now.
papercoffee wrote:This information was brought to you by ASLYE702 (who still don't want to post openly)
STOP BEING SO SHY!
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
FXANBSS
Skilled

Post by FXANBSS »

I never seen what is interesting in there, just broken downloads, so it doesn't matter too much if it closes, isn't it?
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

FXANBSS wrote:I never seen what is interesting in there, just broken downloads, so it doesn't matter too much if it closes, isn't it?
Same here, almost all links I ever got there were broken. It's too bad, but I prefered when they were called filefront and were actually useful. They're closing an empty shell.
You must construct additional pylons.
Higor
Godlike

Post by Higor »

Whan you start hitting region limitations and download restrictions... you know shit's gonna hit the fan soon.
Carbon
Inhuman
Personal rank: Hoarder.

Post by Carbon »

Funny how a site becomes more useful when it is closing! :)

The only good news is that the files are / have been archived.

https://archive.org/details/archiveteam ... publicdate

The bad news is that each of these archives is about 15GB and the downloads take between 6 ~ 26 hours, even on my very fast connection, limiting how fast they come in and how fast I will be able to compile anything useful from them. What good is an archive when it comes in so slow? I will also try the torrents they have made.

What they need to do is list the files in each archive. Yes, now there is no TOC for them; you have to take the time to download and hope there is something meaningful in there.

For me and apparently many others, Gamefront was useless. I have never been able to get anything from the place, even with Tor (so I don't think it was all about location, as they claimed). Anyhow...thankfully, the IA team have got it covered, albeit in a far-from-convenient way.

Ugh...torrent is worse...slower than anything....49 weeks...lol....
FXANBSS
Skilled

Post by FXANBSS »

Carbon wrote:Ugh...torrent is worse...slower than anything....49 weeks...lol....

Idk what u mean with torrent, utorrent? lol that thing.

My father downloaded like 100 games even the GTA V, it's free at least. :P
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

If it was filefront, I really don't care, hated that place and that far left forum.
Actually I should praise them for letting me stay in the forum.

But I never used them, only once in a while, I did make a filefront page account for my maps and things, was good too. Once they changed, the whole thing went downhill.

Everything is all corporate now, and getting worse. You can't even get a free email without giving your phone, DNA, retinal scan, fingerprints, birth certificate, and 3 generations of the family tree. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Red_Fist on Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Binary Space Partitioning
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Post by Gustavo6046 »

FXANBSS wrote:My father downloaded like 100 games even the GTA V
My father too! :P

(in HIS notebook, that is)

Well, he tried, but he claims it does not work :(
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
Carbon
Inhuman
Personal rank: Hoarder.

Post by Carbon »

FXANBSS wrote: Idk what u mean with torrent, utorrent? lol that thing.

My father downloaded like 100 games even the GTA V, it's free at least. :P
Not sure what your father's questionable downloading habits have to do with anything. :wth:

Anyhow.

The archives each have a torrent as another means by which to acquire them, but only 2 seeds and slower than the site download.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Haha, just got banned from the intolerant left on "FileFront" forums, they don't want anything but themselves.

They are so smart and perfect they banned me in 1 minute, all because they don't agree, ZERO left wing tolerance.

oh well, lol
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

This ban can react back, you can ban them too, so they won't be able to move around you. When I found myself restricted into some location I'm making sure about 0 access there by setting up a block policy for that entire range and all ranges used by that location. So even if someone from there is curious what I'm doing then... I'm gone.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Hell, do these forum people EVER use twitter ? or TOPIX, It's "MrFanceypants" some German guy I think, oh well, no biggie, that whole forum is so anti USA. always was.

I have been banned from unrealsp for stating the truth about how they are failing, banned
Nalicity for bumping a thread, banned by "Sir Breeze" another zealot. banned
Beyondunreal , more idealism, the others just fall inline , more idealism. banned.
Unrealplayground for talking politics,(my fault), 3 day
Oh and a club-dance site in Australia, idealism, banned

but none of it had a bad vibe other than, idealism.

And here for not getting what a doublepost was, well not banned, I just got mad over nothing. :oops:
Wormbo
Adept

Post by Wormbo »

Red_Fist, if you accummulate bans left and right, maybe there's something generally banworthy about you that you might want to stop doing? (For example, you've been flagged for ban evasion on BUF, which is a bannable offense on most forums.)