Britain leaves the European Union

Discussions about everything else
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Britain leaves the European Union

Post by Dr.Flay »

:omfg: Right now I am convinced I am surrounded by xenophobic idiots.
I have even considered changing my nationality and burning my British passport.

I have never felt "English". I just put up with them as my neighbours.
I am born Cornish but of 2 Viking bloodlines, I have always felt as European as I am British.

I think Jamaica is my spiritual home now.
I want to sit on a hill with a big jug of rum, and smoke until I can't even talk.

The crazy people on the news are even talking about a performing idiot (Boris Johnson) becoming the next Prime Minister :nonono:
Actually I just remembered I live in a house with weaponry :idea:
I may just go and see how life feels while I have the barrel of a revolver in my mouth :sad2: (just kidding)

To finish, I apologise for the stupidity the British are about to unleash, and the damage it will do to Europe as other countries use this as an excuse to leave.
It will split your countries and political parties, and create hatred where once there was peace.
I am ashamed of my country.
Higor
Godlike

Re: Britain leaves the European Union

Post by Higor »

Let's see... Britain's no longer under the thumb of a central beaurocratic government that has continuously screwed over the island with all sorts of antidemocratic measures.
You'll be just fine... once you get over the immediate economic impact caused by a bunch of angry bankers and investors.

Congrats.
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

I'm glad because

1 - Finally one people able to tell the EU to piss off.
2 - The UK's status in Europe was always a joke, now things are clear and honest.
3 - Possible reunification of Irelad in the future.
4 - I have something to order from a british site and the pound has fallen. :D
You must construct additional pylons.
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

By completing the registration you agree to these conditions:
<...>
5. Leave politics outside please. Here we want to exchange experiences. That is primarily an appeal to you, but experiences revealed that political threads heat-up the emotions and the climate of public opinion suffers heavily.
You guys hammer double posters but a mod is allowed to directly post against the major rules of the forum? Not really cool. That's twice he's done that. The first time I let it slide but I served a suspension without argument for breaking these forum rules. If this doesn't apply evenly then I'd like to know that.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
rjmno1
Masterful
Personal rank: masterfull
Location: https://sites.google.com/view/unrealtou ... oject/home

Post by rjmno1 »

Yes i saw that on the news today on a special bulliten.
I think that nothing chanched for engeland.
52 percent wants out of the euro.
Thats regarding of the poll they did, the majorty of the people dont want it.
And thats all
What did you vote dr flay, asuming that you are english?
unreal tournament 99
®
ImageImage
https://sites.google.com/view/unrealtou ... oject/home mine home ut99 website.
https://richardmoust105.blogspot.com/20 ... ef-in.html dutch blog page about ut99 settings.
darksonny
Adept

Post by darksonny »

How was that Victoria Nuland said a while?

Ah yes! 'F*ck EU!'

Sorry dude, there is not any proof Europa could have been a place where all europeans felt like a strong family. Too taxes (not for shitty politicians and 'richies' from rich), too cuts on salary, allowances and whatnot f*cking the not-should-have-to cutting and pulling down quality public services for people. See greece or Italy or spain...everywhere is the same psychopathic pattern on our politicians

politicians in most of them (exceptuating few people here) are standing on it for one thing, can you guess sir? Love to power and money.

Good luck Europe
MrLoathsome
Inhuman
Personal rank: I am quite rank.

Post by MrLoathsome »

We are all doomed. The same thing is happening here, but most people are too busy
looking at facebook and sending each other pointless tweets to even notice.

Globalization = Turn the entire planet into 1 giant 3rd world shithole.
blarg
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Dr.Flay wrote::omfg: Right now I am convinced I am surrounded by xenophobic idiots.
Good times...
Dr.Flay wrote:I have never felt "English". I just put up with them as my neighbours.
I always kinda figured you were, explaining why you spell words like "neighbors" that way.
Dr.Flay wrote:I am born Cornish but of 2 Viking bloodlines
Don't you start pillaging.
Dr.Flay wrote:I think Jamaica is my spiritual home now.
I want to sit on a hill with a big jug of rum, and smoke until I can't even talk.
That's a stereotype.
Dr.Flay wrote:To finish, I apologise for the stupidity the British are about to unleash
All hail the new British Empire! Image
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Wormbo
Adept

Post by Wormbo »

Seriously, the voting statistics look like something you'd only expect from a US election (no offense!):
UTPe
Masterful
Personal rank: Dude

Post by UTPe »

Sorry for this Flay, I was really astonished when I read about it yesterday.
I only hope this will not be the starting point for the disintegration of your country, stormy winds seem to come from North Ireland and Scotland.

Please, don't apologise for the stupidity of this vote. People are quite identical, everywhere. I live in Itay and I know well what no sense in politics means.
In times of deep crisis, people lose their reference points and tend to shelter in the "defense of the self", but, obviously this is only a fake solution in the actual world. People shelter in their little backyard hoping world won't knock their door. Vain hopes. Global issues need global answers (economy, migrations, climate change, etc). And the problem here is not globalization. It was pretty clear in the previous century, after the World War II, it would have become our future. The real problem is we did not manage it and we have not been interested in doing it either. These are only the banal results. Finally, in more general terms, we have to accept that our beloved social economical model has come to an end, we need to rethink about everything.
I understand well those who are happy for Brexit, this is only the sad sign of the times. Unfortunately, a democratic suicide remains a suicide anyway.

cheers,
Pietro
Personal map database: http://www.ut99maps.net

"These are the days that we will return to one day in the future only in memories." (The Midnight)
Higor
Godlike

Post by Higor »

UTPe wrote:And the problem here is not globalization.
It's not globalization itself, it's how it's happening.
UTPe wrote:"defense of the self"
It's in every animal's instinct, pure selflessness leads to extintion and self-destruction.
UTPe wrote:Global issues need global answers
In concensus, not in dictatorship.
UTPe wrote:climate change
Easy to fall for this when NASA itself is manipulating measurements, just look at how much money is being wasted into some green energy subsidies and you'll have a nice research starting point.
UTPe wrote:beloved social economical model has come to an end
Neoliberalism is nowhere near beloved for the ones in the bottom, as it basically consists on putting more than 99% into it, you don't want a second China in Europe.
UTPe wrote:The real problem is we did not manage it and we have not been interested in doing it either.
England never had a chance to manage it, now it does.

There's a world beyond what the mainstream media puts in front of your eyes.
Unplug yourself and understand.
Wormbo wrote:The old crapped on the young.
The old have seen more than us, they are wise and care for our future more than we ourselves do, they deserve our respect.
Wormbo wrote:The more a region depends on exports into the EU, the more that region voted for leaving. Words can't describe, so:
Back to Neoliberalism, how good is it to export if your life quality is going down? (again, ask China)
If they can export to EU, they can export to other regions of the world.
Therefore, they gain the most from a goverment that puts Britons first.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Picking up Wormbo's point, analysis of the vote shows there are deep divisions in the UK - along geographical lines with the metropolitan core (London and other major cities) and the periphery (Scotland, Northern Ireland, Gibraltar - those parts of the UK with the closest physical relationship with the EU) having a Remain majority vote - and based on age (a majority of those under 45 voted to Remain), class and education (a majority of those who have been to university voting to Remain).

The decision to Leave is likely to have an impact on the future unity of Britain as it will eventually result in a further referendum on independence for Scotland and probably a special relationship with the EU for Northern Ireland. It is unlikely to result in moves for the latter to leave the UK - the vote in Northern Ireland is highly polarised with those counties closest to the Republic voting to Remain but the north of the county, with the exception of part of Belfast, voting to Leave.

With the greatest of respect to Higor, I don't think there is any necessary positive relationship between age and experience, wisdom and caring for others. Increasing age tends to bring conservatism; fear of, and resistance to, change; fear of the unfamiliar and increasing nostalgia for the past (though all this is, of course, a generalisation as well). Of course, older people deserve respect - everybody deserves respect (until and unless they show they don't).

In part, the vote represents a reaction to modernism and wider forces that are only partly related to the policies and programs of the EU. Negotiations on the future form of the relationship with the EU may well result little change in some of the areas of concern to many people - continued access to the single market following the Norway model for example would stil mean freedom of movement of goods, services, workers. Similarly the protection of those EU citizens currently living and working in the UK may not decrease the actual numbers of 'foreigners', though future limits on immigration would mean these would not increase. However there will in future be a need for a continuing growth in the labour supply which may mean further immigration from outside Europe - this would be the case particuarly if the right to remain for current EU citizens in the UK was not guaranteed. See, for example, fruit growing which depends almost entirely on seasonal migrants from the EU for fruit picking - and the NHS depends on recruitment from outside the UK to maintain staffing levels.

The major fear for the future must be the knock-on effect of Brexit coupled with a growth of inward-looking and xenophobic right wing nationalism.

So, no, the old have not done the young a great service - they have constrained and restricted opportunities and highlighted a distrust and fear of 'foreigners' that has no resonance with younger people nor, I might add, with those who have a wider experience life outside the confines of the UK.
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

OjitroC wrote:Picking up Wormbo's point, analysis of the vote shows there are deep divisions in the UK - along geographical lines with the metropolitan core (London and other major cities) and the periphery (Scotland, Northern Ireland, Gibraltar - those parts of the UK with the closest physical relationship with the EU) having a Remain majority vote - and based on age (a majority of those under 45 voted to Remain), class and education (a majority of those who have been to university voting to Remain).
That's not very surprising. Highly-educated urban population are usually very internationalized and that's something which has remained a constant since at least the middle ages. With the current trends of immigration, there also many people of foreign origins concentrated around urban centers and they tend to have a positive attitude towards immigration as they benefited from it.
With the greatest of respect to Higor, I don't think there is any necessary positive relationship between age and experience, wisdom and caring for others. Increasing age tends to bring conservatism; fear of, and resistance to, change; fear of the unfamiliar and increasing nostalgia for the past (though all this is, of course, a generalisation as well). Of course, older people deserve respect - everybody deserves respect (until and unless they show they don't).
I think age doesn't bring any more wisdom than fear of change, it entirely depends on people. I've seen enough revolution-happy hippies 70 y/o and more to know both exist.
Older people, though, have lived longer with Britan in the EU and have even known Britain before the EU. So I think it's disingenuous to highlight that the idea that old people will die and leave Britain-without-the-EU as a mess to be sorted out by the young.
The decision to Leave is likely to have an impact on the future unity of Britain as it will eventually result in a further referendum on independence for Scotland and probably a special relationship with the EU for Northern Ireland. It is unlikely to result in moves for the latter to leave the UK - the vote in Northern Ireland is highly polarised with those counties closest to the Republic voting to Remain but the north of the county, with the exception of part of Belfast, voting to Leave.
Scotland has been on the way out for a while, I think this is just the last straw.
So, no, the old have not done the young a great service - they have constrained and restricted opportunities and highlighted a distrust and fear of 'foreigners' that has no resonance with younger people nor, I might add, with those who have a wider experience life outside the confines of the UK.
Restricted opportunities how? It's not like the UK was isolated from the world before the EU, and now the country has full sovereignty over every single thing.
Wormbo wrote: Right after voting, the British started googling things like "What is the EU?" and [url= things they probably should have known before.
I can't show a proof, but I'm ready to bet this happens after every referendum and election.
Also, I trust no one, especially not the gloo-gloo, especially not on topics related to international policies.
And at any rate, that's how the rules go in democracy. Of course you can also do what the EU already did before, disregard unwanted results or ask people to vote again until the wanted answer is given, but that's not a union I'd like to stay in.
You must construct additional pylons.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

When they came up with that EU idea, or when they implemented it,. Way back when in the news, I thought it was a stupid thing to do or idea. (long before terrorism of today)

They are trying to be like USA and it's "states", but it won't work amongst "countries". Glad they got out.

Seems the end result is, the rich countries pay-for and bail out the poor countries.
Binary Space Partitioning
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

Hellkeeper wrote: Restricted opportunities how? It's not like the UK was isolated from the world before the EU, and now the country has full sovereignty over every single thing.
Making it more difficult to live, work, move, be educated in Europe for one thing. It is noticeable from interviews with voters that that is what younger voters referred to most often whilst the older voters were more concerned with keeping Britain for the British. Many young people, having seen nothing but life with Britain in the EU, see themselves as European first rather than simply British. The extent to which the country will gain/retain sovereignty over everything will depend very much on the precise nature of the relationships negotiated with the rest of world and it may be that some form of limited access to the single European market will be the outcome, with concessions having to be made in certain areas and thus somewhat circumscribing that sovereignty.
Hellkeeper wrote: Older people, though, have lived longer with Britan in the EU and have even known Britain before the EU.
That's true but it's a long time ago - 45 years - when the world was a very different place - Britain certainly isn't going to revert to the way it was then and, of course, it is difficult to remember what it was like then and to disentangle which changes can be ascribed to EU membership and which to other wider forces.