Should I upgrade to 10??

Discussions about everything else
Spectra
Masterful
Personal rank: Nullified!

Should I upgrade to 10??

Post by Spectra »

Everyone must have heard the news that microsoft will stop free win 10 upgrade after 29th July. And they will also give anniversary update for Win 10 users in August.

So I want your opinions whether I should upgrade it or not.

Incase if you want to know my specs:
Spoiler
My laptop Specs:
Model: Toshiba Satellite S75t-A7220
CPU: Intel 4th Gen i7 - 4700MQ Quad Core
GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600 (Yeah I can play GTA 5 on lowest settings)
RAM: 12 GB (11.8 GB)
My questions are:
1. Will I get performance issues??
2. Compatibility issues with old games like Q3, UT2004??
Red_Fist
Godlike

Re: Should I upgrade to 10??

Post by Red_Fist »

I would stick with win7 pro 64bit. it will have support for a long time, not the home versions.

Win 10 to me is like a glorified cell phone-tablet- "apps" and that ugly ass "mobile look"
Binary Space Partitioning
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

Win 10???? Nope!!! You don't wanna run into a lot of problem do you? If you do, then go to Win 10 lol.
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
rjmno1
Masterful
Personal rank: masterfull
Location: https://sites.google.com/view/unrealtou ... oject/home

Post by rjmno1 »

well its a good os, you must get used to the hidden settings.
But with a good start button downloaded elsewhere you can find all the settings just like windows 7.
And ofcourse it comes with direct x version 12 (if any game supports it).
you have also people who wants windows version 7 , becouse they are used to it.
Its a dificult choise to make on your side.
I have running windows 10 for more then a year now and it just runs fine.
And i think that windows 10 is faster then 7 or 8.
All videcard drivers are up to date from nvidia and ati also,it must be no problem to install them corectly. :tu:

http://www.startmenux.com/nl/

regardz:rjmno1
unreal tournament 99
®
ImageImage
https://sites.google.com/view/unrealtou ... oject/home mine home ut99 website.
https://richardmoust105.blogspot.com/20 ... ef-in.html dutch blog page about ut99 settings.
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Other than a couple of problems, like it being hard to dissable passwords for profiles etc. I'm pretty happy with Win 10 :P Cosmetics, well, you can always install Classic Shell if you want a more win 7 or other Windows's look :)
memsys
Adept
Personal rank: Silicon Lifeform

Post by memsys »

One thing to keep in mind is that with windows 10 microsoft is basically keeping track of EVERYTHING you do on your pc and they have the power do uninstall programs whenever they feel like it.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

I wish they would put features in a new OS, like being able to pick ANY version of the interface. sort of like themes but more system backed things to make it work like win 3.1 every version, to win 10.

Problem I had was the hardware driver update, even though I turned it off in both places. While browsing one time, my system locked, and friggen rebooted all because they had to add that sickening "Auto" update. It was the vid driver.

BUT !!! I already had the latest update from NVidia, I want control of the damn machine, not some weird server, or government tracking or advertising. I have win10 on my other hard drive, I only boot into it for updates, lol that's all it ever does anyway. :thudown: :thudown: :thudown:
Binary Space Partitioning
Carbon
Inhuman
Personal rank: Hoarder.

Post by Carbon »

I installed 10 a few days ago and it's great. All my Unreal series games work flawlessly (Unreal, RTNP, UT, Unreal 2, UT2003, 2004, UT3 and the new UT) and the OS is noticeably faster that 7 in a few key areas. I was also hesitant, but I'm glad I did it.

Updates can easily be configured to only occur at shutdown, so the complaint that they happen at the worst times is easily cured. Privacy can also be configured; if you used automatic updates with 7, the same information is being sent; telemetry info only (provided you set it up right).

It's a good OS and certainly worth the upgrade.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Yes.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
zunnie
Novice

Post by zunnie »

I've recently installed Windows 10 x64 Pro. Must say i like it a lot. It also takes less space on my SSD which is only 128GB so that's a plus too.
Black holes are where God divided by zero.
rjmno1
Masterful
Personal rank: masterfull
Location: https://sites.google.com/view/unrealtou ... oject/home

Post by rjmno1 »

memsys wrote:One thing to keep in mind is that with windows 10 microsoft is basically keeping track of EVERYTHING you do on your pc and they have the power do uninstall programs whenever they feel like it.
Yes thats true it even counts your download quota how much you did download for a month or other timespann.
You get also a new version or other version for browsing over the internet, its called microsoft edge and is realy faster then the internet browser from microsoft.But i,m a fossil also so i used tobe using microsoft internet browser for some reasen so i,m knowing this program.
With microsoft edge is another story its new and i never use it but its faster and more comon for windows 10.
They have also new apps wich is already installed on a windows 10 configuration, just another app who plays your mp3 files.
That kinda things you must learn to using it and get along with.
Till so far this os is for free during the end of this month.
After this date i think it is the 29 date of this month you have to pay for it.
So if somthing crashes or windows is going tobe very slow , i must go back to windows 8 or 8.1.
If there is a place where you can download windows 10 legall and for free please let me know, i,m seeking a page from microsoft to download the iso files.
Or the location from those files, then i can burn windows 10 on disk en can i keep it forever.
I,m not talking about the illigal stuff but realy a page from microsoft.
I,m not a part any more from the microsoft msdn membership annymore.
I,m also to be using the media player its stok somwhere on the harddrive in windows 10 ,you must just find it.
It seems that in windows 10 or 8,8.1 everything is hidden, and thats just those things other people dont want.
Its not so user friendly like windows 7 wich is the best windows they made so far imo.
So i downloaded the media creation tool how can i burn a disk and where are the iso files from microsoft?
I just wanted to make a clean install from windows 10 howto do that?

edit typo

regardz:rjmno1
unreal tournament 99
®
ImageImage
https://sites.google.com/view/unrealtou ... oject/home mine home ut99 website.
https://richardmoust105.blogspot.com/20 ... ef-in.html dutch blog page about ut99 settings.
zunnie
Novice

Post by zunnie »

Forgot to add though: You really need to use a startmenu replacement, the win10 default one is stupid.
I use http://classicshell.net/ myself, here is what it looks like:

Black holes are where God divided by zero.
Carbon
Inhuman

Post by Carbon »

rjmno1 wrote: Yes thats true it even counts your download quota how much you did download for a month or other timespann.
No, it's not true (no more than it ever was) and the 'quota' isn't a quota; it's designed to help those who have data caps watch their bandwidth. Microsoft isn't an ISP; it's a meter, not a quota.
rjmno1 wrote:They have also new apps wich is already installed on a windows 10 configuration, just another app who plays your mp3 files.
All easily configurable and most of the pre-loaded apps can be uninstalled.
rjmno1 wrote:Its not so user friendly like windows 7 wich is the best windows they made so far imo.
10 is far more user friendly. Better information provided, more intuitive and lots of tweaks to make using it more efficient. The trouble is that people are accustomed to old ways, so they reject things, even if they are truly better.
rjmno1 wrote:I just wanted to make a clean install from windows 10 howto do that?
https://encrypted.google.com/#q=windows ... an+install
rjmno1 wrote:edit typo
:ironic2:
memsys
Adept
Personal rank: Silicon Lifeform

Post by memsys »

Carbon wrote: 10 is far more user friendly. Better information provided, more intuitive and lots of tweaks to make using it more efficient. The trouble is that people are accustomed to old ways, so they reject things, even if they are truly better.
I disagree, windows 10 has has a bunch of things that can be done using the old way and the new way but also a ton of stuff that can only be done using the old way or the new way. I would not call that user friendly.
That said I support windows 10 boxes at work so I don't have much experience as a user.
Carbon
Inhuman

Post by Carbon »

memsys wrote:
Carbon wrote: 10 is far more user friendly. Better information provided, more intuitive and lots of tweaks to make using it more efficient. The trouble is that people are accustomed to old ways, so they reject things, even if they are truly better.
I disagree, windows 10 has has a bunch of things that can be done using the old way and the new way but also a ton of stuff that can only be done using the old way or the new way.
Hmmm....the old way and the new way or the new way and the old way....sounds pretty balanced! :)

I find getting around faster with a lot more centralized areas. The task manager as a good example; pretty much everything that used to be somewhat spread out is all here now. The same for folder options; the ribbon has many more common tasks listed and just a click away; cut, copy & paste, move to, select all, copy path, etc. You can even uninstall programs from the ribbon. These are just a few examples, but there are more that for me, make it more efficient overall.

The one area that is a bit cryptic are settings regarding web interactions; they really want you to use this OS as a 'live' software. All of the options can be disabled, but you have to dig a click deeper than in the past.

Anyhow, I'm not getting paid enough to say all of this, so I will let you all decide for yourselves. I think it is inevitable that people make the shift and since it is only free for a few more weeks, this is a good time to get it. Go the 'clean install' route and make a USB flash drive for the install; this way you can keep it around if you need it again. Also make note of your license key.