Should I upgrade to 10??

Discussions about everything else

Re: Should I upgrade to 10??

Postby Red_Fist » Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:43 pm

"10 is far more user friendly. Better information provided, more intuitive and lots of tweaks to make using it more efficient."

NOT........... 100% the opposite.
Binary Space Partitioning
Red_Fist
Godlike
 
Posts: 1418
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:31 am

Re: Should I upgrade to 10??

Postby Carbon » Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:19 am

Red_Fist wrote:NOT........... 100% the opposite.


That's a pretty strong argument. You have changed my mind. :tu:
User avatar
Carbon
Inhuman
 
Posts: 822
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:52 pm
Personal rank: Hoarder.

Re: Should I upgrade to 10??

Postby Dr.Flay » Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:27 pm

As long as you have been offered it via your current windows, it should not be a problem with hardware. Software compatibility is most likely to be the problem with some older software.

Regressing back to your previous OS is an option but does not always behave. Cleanup your current setup and make an image of the drive/partition so you can quickly go back to where you were.

Windows 10 is tied to the hardware so you don't need to show it the previous install. I recommend using a new HD and installing a fresh Win 10 from the ISO.
https://www.microsoft.com/software-down ... ndows10ISO
You can then use a boot manager and have both drives connected, so you make your choice when you switch on.
Once you have installed it, you can ignore it, or remove it and finally move to it when you are prepared.

Some of the undesirable parts of the excess telemetry and connectivity can be avoided, by installing with no net connection.
You will also get an old style user account that is not connected to your Microsoft ID.
The new style accounts are configured online, so if you need to change your password but cannot connect then you cannot change your password on your own PC :confused2:

Microsoft do provide ways to take control of updates, because servers and business PCs need the updates to me manually cleared first.
There are also tools that let you disable all the extra background chatter and activity you don't want.
https://vivaldi.net/userblogs/entry/windows-10

Classicshell is actually worth using on all versions of windows since Vista, because as well as letting you have a sensible start menu, it lets you add removed features back to the explorer windows, even the cut/copy/paste/properties buttons once common in the Win9x explorer.
User avatar
Dr.Flay
Site Staff
 
Posts: 3155
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:26 pm
Location: Kernow, UK
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Re: Should I upgrade to 10??

Postby sektor2111 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:12 am

Feedback after doing a "check"
Whoever said that W10 it takes less space - FALSE - as long as contains a lot of crap which I'll bet won't be used by majority of users with computer experience behind, else it is offering flexibility in Firewall by example but not all apps can be uninstalled that easy - some of them only by using that "shell" and requiring more commands than any wild Linux. Yes, some of them seems to not want an uninstall that easy. My old XP was not so exhaustive at HDD space and I had a lot of stuff installed...
Some blabbering about "security" (another dream probably) make a pre-installed app (running directly from other partition) to not really save INI inside Windows that easy as in predecessors - additional tweaks might be required - said "friendly and flexible" (dreams again). So you have to install that again wasting time and... offering info about stuff installed.

Several things should be taken in account - do not follow whore type habits during installation process (Next, Next, Next...) just turn off some of those things which are not necessary.

UT99 chapter
I did not have major issues, but stupid issues:
- OpenGL which was working somehow (not perfect) in Win_XP, was utter garbage in Win10 - "gorgeous" signed drivers;
- movement troubles ? I was moving mouse in rotation purpose - game turned me with a delay, I have stop moving mouse, game still moved me and then stopped (also with delay) WTF!?. The question is: how the heck can I aim this way - it's a shooter game - main factor on game is AIMING, dammit. I don't need to mention the speed - is not faster and smoother than XP (that auto system related scale performance seems a myth like) - not even in XP nightmares when that General Failure was accessing your drives.
After these years I could figure the same "critical updates" probing your patience.
After getting back to old OS, UT simply worked as a charm - performance differences are seriously visible I'm not sure what so optimized in W10 after all - perhaps more data under track.

That's all - I think you can figure that I'm no longer have it installed at this moment... but you can use it if you do really need "un-needed" things added.
User avatar
sektor2111
Godlike
 
Posts: 3831
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 6:15 pm
Location: On the roof.

Re: Should I upgrade to 10??

Postby Carbon » Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:47 pm

There's more to life than UT. :)

I couldn't be productive without at least Win7 (XP lacks software compatibility, proper device/storage support, new game support - DX/Vulcan - 64 bit CPU support, security, updates, on and on...) and Win10 is a much smaller install than 7, but with storage prices so cheap, who cares about this anymore? A 1TB HDD for less than $50 makes this a moot point.

Gaming is just one part of why I need a PC. My needs go way beyond what any XP-based system could offer. For people who use their PCs for doing actual work, Win 7 or 10 can't be beat. And 10 is free.

Arguing a 16 year-old software against a 1 year-old product just doesn't make sense. If you like XP, then keep using it, but I think for most people that isn't even part of the question. The real question here is choosing between 7, 8 or 10.
User avatar
Carbon
Inhuman
 
Posts: 822
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:52 pm
Personal rank: Hoarder.

Re: Should I upgrade to 10??

Postby Red_Fist » Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:51 pm

I installed win10 (EDIT ,64 bit) on my other drive, (dual boot) all I did was make a shortcut to UT from inside win 10, and UT all worked the same, right away. Same openGL, same files in UT.

So maybe the thing messes up if people "install" UT through win10. :noidea
Last edited by Red_Fist on Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Binary Space Partitioning
Red_Fist
Godlike
 
Posts: 1418
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:31 am

Re: Should I upgrade to 10??

Postby sektor2111 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:06 pm

Carbon wrote:There's more to life than UT. :)
said someone posting a post at ut99.org :ironic: .
Carbon wrote:XP lacks software compatibility, proper device/storage support, new game support - DX/Vulcan - 64 bit CPU support, security, updates, on and on...
Irrelevant, I'm not playing any new game because new UT99 (with XCGE stuff) runs exactly as I wanted a few years ago and now finally I'm happy with it - a dream came true.
Carbon wrote:who cares about this anymore? A 1TB HDD for less than $50 makes this a moot point.
All those PC operators (not noise makers only) knowing that accessing intensive a drive = SHORTER LIFE for that Drive + time consuming - perhaps a drive damaged ~= data loss (due to laziness for doing backups). For me, which I'M WORKING at UT related things I really don't need to mess with a SLOWER OS and NO GOOD DRIVERS - read again what I saw at OpenGL + movement, if this is the new tech at drivers, thanks but I'm OK and UP-To-DATE with what I have - read again <up-to-date>.
Until 2019 I'll stay with my rigs, finally having a joy with this UT which in the past I could only dream about. And now when things are working properly do I need to turn at headaches again ?
Carbon wrote:Arguing a 16 year-old software against a 1 year-old product just doesn't make sense.
Then why this debate is posted in a forum around a 16 years old game ? :noidea
Simply because author of topic is one of those who still works codes for UT and he probably want to continue working at UT being pretty addicted to UT without to feel bugged by "features". Did you get the point ?

For sure in the far future I will need to get other one newer (PC) because W10 DO NEEDS resources as I could figure, and BTW I'm speaking about a 32 bit game and 32 BIT related things.

Anyone with a new 64 bit system, don't mess with an OLD OS. If you have an old rig (32 bit) and you are addicted to UT, STAY SAFE with what you have. Let me see my needs then:
- UT Editor;
- Notepad++;
- UMAKE;
- Command Prompt;
- A File handling application;
- Paint;
- small different things attached at OS;
- other private/nasty stuff which is not subject for public debates and which helps UT works.
Actually I don't see any reason for changing OS - is a waste of time truly non-productive seriously I need more solid arguments for installing W10 and NOT in THIS machine again.

One of things which might convince me to use W10 would be to point me to some "tools" for uninstalling faster and quiet all useless content added + guides for making in more flexible in accessing resources without stupid "protection" related to system resources.

Edit: Might be some amnesia of me.
I forgot to speak about some SOUND problem in W10. I did not figure any sound recording device for recording a few sounds. Looks like the new awesome W10 cannot deal with a machine over 2k year at recording sound chapter which I found dumb as longs as I can use 2 sound recording devices at this moment. Actually after 4-6 hours of crawling through W10 I have started looking for my Boot-CD which I'm using for destroying an OS, aiming at W10.
Carbon wrote:The real question here is choosing between 7, 8 or 10.
The real question here is TOPIC'S TITLE.
User avatar
sektor2111
Godlike
 
Posts: 3831
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 6:15 pm
Location: On the roof.

Re: Should I upgrade to 10??

Postby Red_Fist » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:25 pm

I can't figure why just because is 64 bit it can't run the very first x86 8 bit program. How can it be, if the same commands are in it for a CPU since the 386 chip.

I think it's a bad OS being 64 bit, but then they don't make it run EVERY program from 25 years ago. Really t's me off.

"General protection fault;:::::I am sorry but the program we wrote 20 years ago is far to complex for 64 bit" lolzzz

"Please downgrade your windows version cuz we are too stupid now"
Binary Space Partitioning
Red_Fist
Godlike
 
Posts: 1418
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:31 am

Re: Should I upgrade to 10??

Postby Carbon » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:13 am

The question was posted in off-topic and I doubt that Rocky was wondering if 10 is better than XP (he's running 8.1 now). I might be wrong, but I can't believe that the question is even asked anymore.

That XP lacks software compatibility, proper device/storage support, peripherals support, new game support (DX/Vulcan) 64 bit CPU/software support, security updates (orphaned by MS over a year ago)...this is not at all irrelevant. You claim that these key aspects are irrelevant is based on your very narrow usage is simply too niche, too statistically insignificant to be of any value to anyone asking the question Rocky has. The things listed above are fundamental to using a PC for more than a platform for working with 16 year-old software. For your narrow and specific uses, then yes, XP is fine.

However, XP is well and truly dead, with its 11% usage largely being derived from things like ATMs, zombie machines serving automated functions in dark backrooms of institutions or underdeveloped countries. Nobody claims that XP is a viable gaming (or anything else) platform anymore. Steam survey puts XP at 1.7% of users..it's dead.

And if you think you are so unique in wanting to run old games, then you should probably think again; the world is full of enthusiasts for old games and nobody needs XP to do this. Or, like me, they are running separate old-school machines, perhaps not out of necessity (I haven't found a game that can't be run on Win 7 or 10 using a VM or DosBox) but more for nostalgia.

While I respect your resolute stance, I think your reasoning is flawed, meaning that you obviously haven't explored all of the options available to you and expect things to behave as they did 16 years ago without spending the time to configure the OS. I have to wonder how long it took you to get XP 'just the way you want it' and why you are so unwilling to spend even a sliver of that time tweaking 10.

Win 7 is a great OS however; I switched because I was getting bored with 7 and figured it was time for a change. Also the free offer is running out, so what the heck? It's been out for a year now, the privacy concerns have been addressed and it is stable as anything. No reason not to install it.

Anyhow, Sektor...peace man and enjoy what you do. :highfive:

Rocky, with some customization, Windows 10 is a fine choice, better than 8.1 based on what I have read. I am highly security-conscious and love playing old (& new) games and it is working out very well for me.
User avatar
Carbon
Inhuman
 
Posts: 822
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:52 pm
Personal rank: Hoarder.

Re: Should I upgrade to 10??

Postby sektor2111 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:15 am

Partially I must be agree with you except double part with (DX/Vulcan) that doesn't need a double posting and I've mentioned already options for 64 bit.
Carbon wrote:zombie machines serving automated functions in dark backrooms of institutions or underdeveloped countries.
Here I'm coming with a "secret". Right now I can find all my required drivers in manufacturer's Web-Site - USA (perhaps underdeveloped indeed :ironic: ). Read well, they Do Care about their customers but M$ seems to have another sort of policy and their goofing doesn't fascinating more people as you imagine. The logic is simple, if I have a perfect functional old rig with original manufacturer SUPPORT I really don't mess with newer NO Support or FAKE Drivers Support which others were happily spreading.
These being noticed And because I don't have headaches in this state I'll stay this way. Let me see, M$ hired "new blood" (old might be retired) and those noob programmers are unable to deal with an OLD application for WINDOWS, right ( then I don't dare to ask about MS-DOS cell phones apps )? Even here I can see people unable to understand space in file-name and PC operating basics but they dare to claim themselves coders, why I must believe that new blood working at M$ know what they do ? No, they don't, and amazingly they don't even care. They are like a guided horse seeing things placed only in front of them (already Higor described some compiler problems at some LIBS if you failed that post). And those statistics for me have no relevance, said who ? Dictated statistics ? Old programmers don't even bother to share their thoughts with deaf and blind but so ''fancy" new style.
EDIT:Yes, Rocky, upgrade your OS and then share what you find.
User avatar
sektor2111
Godlike
 
Posts: 3831
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 6:15 pm
Location: On the roof.

Re: Should I upgrade to 10??

Postby Spectra » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:52 pm

Well, after reading all the post, I have decided to stay away from Win 10 for a while.

This may sound strange. My friend bought a HP laptop with Win 10 pre-installed. He asked me for some documents of my college works. I inserted my pendrive in his slot and the moment I tried to open my Doc files, his Win 10 returned an error that my file is corrupted. I then had to format my whole my pendrive and used a tool: 7-data recovery tool to recover all my files.

I don't care about cosmetics or animations. I wouldn't mind even if microsoft adds Windows 3.1 like visuals to their new OS. All I expect from a OS is "Performance" and "Backward Compatibility" and not bulky useless features. Would be cool if MS gives options to users before installing like which software they want and don't want.

That my Win 7 like Classic shell posted by Zunnie looks cool indeed, but the Win 7's Start menu still beats it in my opinion.

Thanks everyone for your opinion.
This topic can be closed now by any moderators here.
Spectra
Masterful
 
Posts: 540
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:23 pm
Location: (X) Unable To Locate....
Personal rank: Nullified!

Re: Should I upgrade to 10??

Postby Hellkeeper » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:29 am

All this discussion about XP, 7, 10, a bit of 8.1, and here I am running Vista... :roll:
You must construct additional pylons.
User avatar
Hellkeeper
Masterful
 
Posts: 688
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:32 pm
Location: France
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Re: Should I upgrade to 10??

Postby rjmno1 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:12 am

Hellkeeper wrote:All this discussion about XP, 7, 10, a bit of 8.1, and here I am running Vista... :roll:

some people mark vista as a bad operating system, but if you have a Original copy it just runs fine imo.
Its not that bad some people are saying.If ut 99 runs on it its just fine.
unreal tournament 99
®
Image
Image
ImageImage
User avatar
rjmno1
Adept
 
Posts: 485
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:38 pm
Personal rank: masterfull

Re: Should I upgrade to 10??

Postby Qwerty » Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:40 am

memsys wrote:One thing to keep in mind is that with windows 10 microsoft is basically keeping track of EVERYTHING you do on your pc and they have the power do uninstall programs whenever they feel like it.


Id like to see some supporting evidence on uninstalling programs LOL

MS has been tracking you since VIsta, 7, etc nothing new.
http://www.vulpinemission.com
Image ROCKET-X8 Server
Image MONSTERHUNT w/ NALI WEAPONS 3 + RX8
Image BUNNYTRACK NY
Image SNIPER DEATHMATCH
Image ROSEBUM ROCKET-X RB
Qwerty
Masterful
 
Posts: 656
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:14 pm
Location: New York
Personal rank: I.T Master

Re: Should I upgrade to 10??

Postby Qwerty » Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:41 am

rjmno1 wrote:
Hellkeeper wrote:All this discussion about XP, 7, 10, a bit of 8.1, and here I am running Vista... :roll:

some people mark vista as a bad operating system, but if you have a Original copy it just runs fine imo.
Its not that bad some people are saying.If ut 99 runs on it its just fine.



vista with sp2 was good . anything prior was not.
http://www.vulpinemission.com
Image ROCKET-X8 Server
Image MONSTERHUNT w/ NALI WEAPONS 3 + RX8
Image BUNNYTRACK NY
Image SNIPER DEATHMATCH
Image ROSEBUM ROCKET-X RB
Qwerty
Masterful
 
Posts: 656
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:14 pm
Location: New York
Personal rank: I.T Master

PreviousNext

Return to Misc | Off-Topic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest