ReactOS Alternative to Windows..

Discussions about everything else
memsys
Adept
Personal rank: Silicon Lifeform

Re: ReactOS Alternative to Windows..

Post by memsys »

I hope you guys don't mind me asking but why do you keep using win XP ?
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

For me I use XP because I know how to beat this fool to do what it's supposed to do ...and because I'm not certain if this newer old machine can handle Win7 (8, 8.1 and 10 are a no-go area).
Carbon wrote:Paper...dang, that is more than cool! :gj: Dude, if you are ever publishing anything, consider me your first customer!
I already do ...I publish it as a webcomic. See the Katran banner in my signature.
Patreon support or a donation is highly appreciated :mrgreen:
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

memsys wrote:I hope you guys don't mind me asking but why do you keep using win XP ?
Your question is ok, no problem. Then I have a few simple explanations:
- every my machine used has a marker "designed for windows XP";
- they also have a proper sticker;
- I have full support with drivers and perfect functionality so why should I need pain ?
- for UT I don't need any sort of tricky tweaks - simply works properly in an OS calibrated for that hardware - to not mention BIOS related updates which I did at them;
- even today I witnessed some problem in sharing an Internet connection from a mobile device through a Laptop for a Desktop PC needing some files. Both of machines with Win7 looks like they had a bit of work needed in making connection to work.

I have shared a connection in XP to XP under 5 minutes fully operational (because I'm a bit lazy in evenings). The more advanced is the OS the more crap is added and more setup is wasting your time (and you won't get any penny for that).
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Win 7 64 bit pro AND win 10 64 bit run UT no prob. I never used XP.

But win XP virtual machine ? what a waste. I have the hardware and they friggen lie.

All I want is an OS that runs the damn machine, not all this bloatware.
Binary Space Partitioning
Carbon
Inhuman
Personal rank: Hoarder.

Post by Carbon »

papercoffee wrote:Patreon support or a donation is highly appreciated
Sorry mate...only a donation. I have quite a number of donations from month to month which add up. I will do my best to be regular, but it isn't so simple. Even my donation to UT99 is behind!

XP...a couple of valid reasons I can see still using it: economics and maybe some software compatibility. Not sure if a sticker is rational though; my wife's monitor says "certified for Windows Vista" on it, but seems to do fine with Windows 7 and 10. :P

I have done some reading in order to try to disprove my intuitions about ReactOS, but they are just being validated; there is simply no reason to use it. It's a toy, a project for those who like that kind of thing. On that level, I totally get it and fully endorse it - enjoy what you do - but to promote it as an alternative to anything besides maybe Windows 95 is a stretch.
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Carbon wrote:
papercoffee wrote:Patreon support or a donation is highly appreciated
Sorry mate...only a donation.
Wow... thank you very much :tu:
Gustavo6046
Godlike
Personal rank: Resident Wallaby

Post by Gustavo6046 »

This makes me want I could code my own OS... :(

Everything is BS nowadays: current OSes, food brands, hardware guys, and no alternative is as good in enough stuff...

The world seems like it only got dark stuff and nothing good for us.

I only like Windows 10 because of the interface (and because native OS: better for playing), but hey, at least it isn't Linux! :loool: Both are very bad, and I'm not primitive like ReactOS. While I'm a classic hobbyist, consider that for games and hardware maybe (like VGA and stuff in the early 1990's), not for crappy OSes.
Carbon wrote:"certified for Windows Vista"
Won't. Even. Bother.
"Everyone is an idea man. Everybody thinks they have a revolutionary new game concept that no one else has ever thought of. Having cool ideas will rarely get you anywhere in the games industry. You have to be able to implement your ideas or provide some useful skill. Never join a project whose idea man or leader has no obvious development skills. Never join a project that only has a web designer. You have your own ideas. Focus on them carefully and in small chunks and you will be able to develop cool projects."

Weapon of Destruction
papercoffee
Godlike

Post by papercoffee »

Bump!
http://www.reactos.org/project-news/rea ... 2-released
ReactOS 0.4.2 is out... did someone test it?
Is it able to run Adobe Photoshop now?
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

papercoffee wrote:Bump!
http://www.reactos.org/project-news/rea ... 2-released
ReactOS 0.4.2 is out... did someone test it?
Is it able to run Adobe Photoshop now?
For me it's more easy to read their feedback right from their testers. Excuse me but that map is time consuming and that it's exactly what I don't have that much... Installing, testing, if it fails get back to default OS... :(