Arma2 DayZ mod, any players?

Discussions about everything else
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Arma2 DayZ mod, any players?

Post by JackGriffin »

Does anyone play this? I'm thinking of packing up my bags and moving to DayZ (maybe Epoch, maybe Overpoch? Not sure). I've stayed with Unreal and UT for the last couple of years because my computer was a complete toaster but now I have one that will run Arma again. I have surgery coming up in a few hours that is going to sideline me for a while and I'll have time to set up and run my DayZ servers again as well as code unique things for them.

If there are any players for that mod and you are looking to form a group let me know. I'd love to find another couple of admins who can help with the back-end work required by a busy Arma DayZ server. My previous servers ran with 30+ people constantly and the PHP database work just overwhelmed me. I miss the hell out of it though and I think I'm going to try to make another go of it provided I can find some help.

The servers I ran had tons of custom missions I had made as well as lots of custom scripting. I had two servers, one was PvP the other was identical but disallowed PvP. Do you remember "Legion Owns Napf" servers? Those were mine and that's what I am thinking of resurrecting.

Sadly I think this run of Unreal/UT is coming to an end. Global Unreal players are almost always in single digits. Smirf is doing wonderful things with the 227 engine but almost no one uses anything he is adding. UT isn't a whole lot better. There's a handful of servers with people but it's going away too. There's just not much sense any more in making mods that just see no use because there are so few people around.

Anyway this isn't a "UEngine is dying" post, it's just me posting my reasons for asking this here. I've had good fun with the guys in this engine and I'd like to continue that in Arma.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
Carbon
Inhuman
Personal rank: Hoarder.

Re: Arma2 DayZ mod, any players?

Post by Carbon »

I played for a while but honestly, it's such a bummer when you get shot from nowhere after an hour or two. I love the experience, but people - it's always the people - that make it kinda suck. Playing with a group might be better....at least one wouldn't die alone. It has a very high and immediate learning curve....maybe I need to stick with it.

I will say - since we are plugging survival games here - that The Long Dark has taken an embarrassing amount of my time lately. It's only in early access and sandbox mode right now, but it is the most engaging, meditative experience I have ever had in a game. Truly amazing. The enemy is the cold, hunger, thirst and yes, wolves and bears. No other people or players, just nature and you. Also, Hinterland Studio is Canadian...not many Canadian game developers, so there's that. They know their stuff when it comes to Canadian wilderness survival.

diRPolJzmjc
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist

Post by Dr.Flay »

Many people are put-off by the random-death issue of people playing DM in Day-Z, but I can tell anyone reading that if you join a managed and moderated server like Jack or Sp00ney tend to run, you will find a server that has enough distractions to keep most people busy.
The older Arma2 mod has a huge amount of extras.

*cough* Often If you have friends in high places in a server you will get looked after, and often in-house heros can come to your rescue.
I doubt Jack is going to just give you all the goodies you need, but pick-ups and air-strikes can be arranged etc. :wink:
It is far more fun arriving as the cavalry than simply abusing admin God-powers.

I have a friend that fell in love with watching Day-Z vids, but is not satisfied with the game due to loneliness and random death. He has made no effort to find a forum or site attached to a server, so knows no-one when entering any server.
All people are a threat, so he never tries to make friends in-game.
Shame, as the idea of the game is to band together against the zombies and AI, so you are capable of far greater achievements.
In the early days of Day-Z, the desire to earn the hero skin was enough to make many players do great deeds of virtual-heroism.
Shame the game does not penalise DM players other than give them a bandit skin.

Could you have a mod that made vultures circle over anyone the admin tag or is triggered by a kill threshold of bambies ? :ironic:
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

I don't know if this machine of mine is capable of running this game.
'still got no time and dime to get a better graphic card. The current one overheats very fast (in UT).
Maybe the on-board graphic chips are better to run games. :|
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

Do any of you older players remember Sp00ney? He ran a good sized UT group back in the day and now works for GamingDeluxe in the UK. I hooked back up with his group and I'm going to put my DayZ servers back up next weekend. If you are interested in hopping over to DayZ then email me. Steam had a sale yesterday on Arma and I picked up the entire series but that gave me an extra copy of Arma2 and Operation Arrowhead. With those two and the free DZ mod you will have all you need.

Hope to see you guys on my servers someday. Look for anything with "Legion owns <whatever>" in the title. I play under my real name.
So long, and thanks for all the fish