Anyone mess with UE4?

Discussions about everything else
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Anyone mess with UE4?

Post by JackGriffin »

The past bit I've been playing a ton of PlayerUnknown's BattleGrounds. It's in beta right now but the devs have promised that they will allow modding when the servers are released. I'd very much like to get involved in this because the game is fantastic and I have some really fun ideas.

As a long time dabbler in UScript can I ask if anyone has taken the time to mess around in the new engine? What are your thoughts? Is there a best way to jump in or should I spend the money/effort on a 3DBuzz-type membership? I'm looking more towards the scripting side of things versus asset creation since I think PUBG will likely restrict what can be done.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
Red_Fist
Godlike

Re: Anyone mess with UE4?

Post by Red_Fist »

I think you need to learn the "blueprint" thingy.

What I think is someone would need to go through each thing, like what all the light functions can do and settings.

Then the BSP stuff, then the mesh stuff, plants-vegetation, and map setup, and where your files go , it's a massive thing now, overkill, just to make a box map.

Would take me a month on each thing to get going. Making a mover it a whole different thing now also, endless.
So I would chop off one section and learn that, go from there.
Plus the skies are all different with those sphere mesh actors and sunlight, then the textures on the sphere mesh, clouds etc etc.

Then if you want pawns you download them but nothing like singlplayer map pawns, no SP at all, and is why I won't try to learn it. Plus I don't like the way you navigate around he map moving things, they use that tool, unlike UT99
Binary Space Partitioning
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

BluePrint is actually very easy and intuitive, best thing would be to directly learn and use C++, even if BluePrints can turn into C++ code and not vice-versa. If you're planning to mod for UT, you can only use BluePrints, since C++ code is not allowed. Materials can be awesome if you learn them, but if you don't (like me) they are complicated, and making a map without materials is unthinkable.
"Your stuff is known to be buggy and unfinished/not properly tested"
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

I think you two misunderstood... He is talking about the UEngine4 not UT4.

Ferali was a little bit active on the UEngine4-forum there, but I wasn't paying much attention to that section of Epic's page.
It seems to be a good engine for high-end graphic games.
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

paper is correct, I'm not looking to mod for UT4 at all. I just want to dive into the basics of mod authoring in the UE4 sandbox. Almost surely they will lock down asset import and modding will be extensions of allowable things in the game already. What I ideally want is to dispense with the airdrop spawning system and instead place players randomly across the map to speed up the rounds. I have some weapon ideas too but it's all on the code side.

I didn't think of contacting Claudio but I'll drop him an email tonight and see what he thinks. Thanks guys!
So long, and thanks for all the fish