Single Player Tutorial

Discussions about everything else
redgrape404
Average
Personal rank: High School graduate

Single Player Tutorial

Post by redgrape404 »

Ok, I have decided to move forward with my Universal Cartoon Tournament Total Conversion project; which is a more expanded version of Woody Woodpecker Tournament featuring characters from Woody Woodpecker, Earthworm Jim, and Problem Child; but where do I first start; do I model the characters first, do UI have to do all the art do I have to do coding and model the weapons first or do I have to make the maps first.
Last edited by redgrape404 on Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sektor2111
Godlike

Re: Single Player Tutorial

Post by sektor2111 »

Problem number 1) is that I don't see where is the tutorial in this post according to location of posting...
Here are posted tutorials about "How To Do" not a question "How do I do ?" This post belongs probably to General/Coding subject...

Problem 2) Everything on this modding/coding chapter is somehow "interleaved" (I'm guessing here) - I'm confused about your confusion.
Explanation:
When coder does a weapon for sure it has to do some test of that thing - and then we go to a MAP for testing, else I'm not sure how can you figure problems.
Any new actor done has to get some test in a Level (default one or custom one). Actor done = Level Update (or summoning if this way can be used) - in order to figure if stuff is operational. While we speak about models, their functionality must be tested if you don't want a bad surprise at end of work = totally crapped up stuff. By working at controller and/or involved classes this will need another work at the Test-Map in the same time - this is how I would do the work.
By doing in advance a few maps and having a borked thing they are going to be an useless waste of time. You need to make sure about functionality and this will occur in one map preventing a time wasted if final result is garbled.
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

How many times have you posted this? You've asked multiple times about someone assuming the project yet not done a single thing yourself to learn anything. Stop wasting people's time. Those who help themselves first get help in return.

I'll say it too because others are thinking it: the idea frankly sucks and it's a bad fit for the engine. You should learn Garry's Mod, it's going to be a lot less trouble.

Can we filter posts in this version of phpBB? I'm going to filter anything with woody or woodpecker. Several years of the same post is enough.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

JackGriffin wrote:How many times have you posted this? You've asked multiple times about someone assuming the project yet not done a single thing yourself to learn anything. Stop wasting people's time. Those who help themselves first get help in return.

I'll say it too because others are thinking it: the idea frankly sucks and it's a bad fit for the engine. You should learn Garry's Mod, it's going to be a lot less trouble.

Can we filter posts in this version of phpBB? I'm going to filter anything with woody or woodpecker. Several years of the same post is enough.
+1

redgrape, it's been multiple years and you still seem to be only on the IDEA part of your project? You keep asking for people to do everything for you, but that is not how big projects like this work. You need to do more than just be a slave driver, man. Have you actually did ANY progress by yourself, at all? I did offer you to make a voicepack for you if needed, but with so many PM spam requests I'm hearing it is very hard to help a guy so obsessed.

few final things:
1) I'll give you a day to post any actuall progress you made (a model, a map.... literally anything that is your own made!), if not I'll lock this thread.
2) Please stop with your massive request spam. Seriously. Just stop.
3) What Jack said, not a good mod to do for UT, sorry man.

EDIT: As for your question, it doesn't really matter where you start with what... You can make the models first so that once you're ok with them you can work on the maps and see how they fit in with the style, whatever floats your boat, really.
Also, wrong forum section (just now noticed). Thread moved.
nogardilaref
Masterful
Personal rank: ⚋⚊⚌☰⚞⌖⚟☰⚌⚊⚋

Post by nogardilaref »

Well, if we're going into where he should do things, then it could be done even more easily in Unity. "Total Conversion" is just a fancy name to say that it's a whole new game.
There he has everything laid out for him in terms of code already, and unlike the other mentioned platforms, it's future-proof, at least at the medium term.

Regardless of the chosen platform, or even if it's a good or bad idea (I am not going dive there, to each one their own), modeling, texturing, coding, etc, are all different disciplines on their own, and even back in 1999 each one of those had a dedicated person to each different discipline. Nowadays those are split into further subdisciplines due to the complexity each discipline took over the years, and things which were done by humans are now being done through middleware.

What I mean to say with this: if you tackle them all at once and try to fly before you even learn how to walk, you will fall and you won't be able to get back up.
Instead, start small.
If you mean to do it in UT anyway, try to create just a new player model first and add it to the normal game.
Then after you finish your first player, try to create weapon by reusing assets from the game (mod an existing weapon).
Then, after that, you can perhaps try to model your own and refactor your existing weapon code into a new weapon using the new model.
And so on...

In other words, there's no tutorial for "single player". At most you have smaller tutorials tailored at each one of these things, and there's where you should start, and you should be patient with yourself and understand that these things will take time.

Small incremental steps, even because you don't know the day of tomorrow, and despite the fact that it seems that you've been fixated into this for years, it does not guarantee that you will simply quit mid-project because your own interests have suddenly changed.

JackGriffin wrote: Can we filter posts in this version of phpBB? I'm going to filter anything with woody or woodpecker. Several years of the same post is enough.
You can set him as a foe I think.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

nogardilaref wrote:...
Nice spoken... Be prepared to get PMs from now on, where he talks about his idea and want you make his ideas into a mod/total-conversion. :wink:
nogardilaref
Masterful
Personal rank: ⚋⚊⚌☰⚞⌖⚟☰⚌⚊⚋

Post by nogardilaref »

papercoffee wrote:
nogardilaref wrote:...
Nice spoken... Be prepared to get PMs from now on, where he talks about his idea and want you make his ideas into a mod/total-conversion. :wink:
Don't worry, I am ready.

UnrealGGecko
Godlike
Personal rank: GEx the Gecko

Post by UnrealGGecko »

Welp, been 2 days, no reply, just more PMs to others users (thanks for letting me know).

Locking the thread...