Question, edit file versions ?

Discussions about everything else
Red_Fist
Godlike

Re: Question, edit file versions ?

Post by Red_Fist »

It's still the same, 640k like when the first files load before windows starts, it's still DOS too, but embellished for long file names and other automated things, like finding CD Roms without a separate program for hardware before everything loads.

I think it's 1 meg, but the first 640 is below the 1 meg mark. A lot of the same DOS files still around in win system 32.
Binary Space Partitioning
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Red_Fist wrote:It's still the same, 640k like when the first files load before windows starts, it's still DOS too
Until (including) Windows ME this was correct^^. All Windows versions based on WinNT-Kernel (this includes WinXP and Win7, too) do not contain any DOS (real mode) code.
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
Chris
Experienced

Post by Chris »

Barbie wrote:
Red_Fist wrote:It's still the same, 640k like when the first files load before windows starts, it's still DOS too
Until (including) Windows ME this was correct^^. All Windows versions based on WinNT-Kernel (this includes WinXP and Win7, too) do not contain any DOS (real mode) code.
The NT kernel does support DOS code in something called NTVDM (NT virtual DOS machine).
All the versions of Windows 32bit (but not 64bit) officially supports and includes NTVDM and thereby allows you to run DOS programs in Windows, by loading a virtual DOS machine with an image of the BIOS runtimes and a memory map of 1MB.
It does have limits tho, so you can't run diagnostic programs in it for example.
The CPU mode for this is called
Virtual real mode
and was invented with the first 386 CPUs to enable support for what was back then current software.

P.S: Turns out that someone made a port of NTVDM for x64 as well so maybe you want to try it out.
https://github.com/leecher1337/ntvdmx64
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Wow, :thuup: :thuup: :thuup: I just need to figure out what to download,
Binary Space Partitioning