Who wants to make an UE4 Remake of Unreal ?

Discussions about everything else
XaNKoNII
Skilled
Personal rank: Phenix

Who wants to make an UE4 Remake of Unreal ?

Post by XaNKoNII »

I´m kidding :lol2: , but can you imagine Unreal having a remake like Half-life had "Black Mesa"? :shock:

muOLx1tPLMI
Terraniux
Masterful
Personal rank: Banished member

Re: Who wants to make an UE4 Remake of Unreal ?

Post by Terraniux »

POST THIS ON EVERY UT TOPIC YOU KNOW. THAT INCLUDES ME.
I LOVE IT
Last edited by Terraniux on Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This member can only post when permitted.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

There was already a project to remake Unreal in UE4. But it stopped and got dissolved because the team got into arguments and name-calling about how Unreal should Unreal be and how to make the thing at all. At the end someone got banned. :noidea
That's what happened without a team leader... or a team leader without communication skills.
nogardilaref
Masterful
Personal rank: ⚋⚊⚌☰⚞⌖⚟☰⚌⚊⚋

Post by nogardilaref »

I remember that video, that's quite something on a whole new level.

However, before even a remake is started, don't forget that such a project would need the explicit consent from Epic itself, which you won't probably ever get.
Even UT4 is not something someone can just fork and do their own version, legally speaking, to the point that once the Epic developers effectively stopped working on it, the whole thing also stopped altogether.

I have seen way too many projects, with years worth of time spent on them, only for the company to send them a C&D letter to shut the whole thing down.
Carbon
Inhuman
Personal rank: Hoarder.

Post by Carbon »

It's a great idea and an equally great undertaking. I have no skills to contribute to this but my word....if this gets done, I'll....well....lose my mind, I suppose.
editor Dave
Inhuman
Personal rank: Passionate SP Mapper

Post by editor Dave »

Wow, it almost looks foto realistic, really impressive. Only the Nali hut kind of destroyed the perfect immersion, as the surface seemed way too flat. :mrgreen:
10-Year Anniversary on Jun 08, 2019.
XaNKoNII
Skilled

Post by XaNKoNII »

nogardilaref wrote:I remember that video, that's quite something on a whole new level.

However, before even a remake is started, don't forget that such a project would need the explicit consent from Epic itself, which you won't probably ever get.
Even UT4 is not something someone can just fork and do their own version, legally speaking, to the point that once the Epic developers effectively stopped working on it, the whole thing also stopped altogether.

I have seen way too many projects, with years worth of time spent on them, only for the company to send them a C&D letter to shut the whole thing down.
Well I said it as a joke, but I won´t lie that itdefinetly crossed my mind. I have 3 SP campaigns that I will make wich basicaly are diferent "games" or genres. That now I will tie together something like the episodic formula of what Half-life 2 was suposed to be. But my initial itention when I even started thinking about doing someting in Unreal was to make "what I think Unreal could be" (I see so much potential in the concept of this game simply wasted) in terms of story and atmosphere.

From this initial Thought "Awaken" was created, wich to be honest is a concept more like a "soft reboot" to the Unreal Universe, following the story of someone that "Awakens" in the derelics of the vortex Rikers, in a secret compartment of the ship when the power finaly goes out the cryopods awaken him, you as the player go out only to find himself in the same world but 20 years later (exactly how much time passed since the release of the Old Unreal), and travel in this alien world. This is where I have actually considered after completing this specific project contacting Epic to maybe remake it in UE4 and make a game out of it, but I don´t know maybe I will never do this or maybe "Awaken" wont be that good at all.

But yeah, number one mistake that I see is that people forget the Legal aspect out these projects. Some even try to pass a professional look in what I assume is a way to create publicity to actually get a job, but then they forget to do things right.
I´ve seen a good example where the creator did the oposite and is now Project leader in 3 games because of a mod he made, he payed atention into all the legal aspects and managed the project´s resources like a leader. Don´t know the exactly the details of how it went but before he could comence production of the 3rd part of his project he got hired and flew into another country as Project Leader
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

That's someone's demo reel to be used to get hired. This was never meant to be the start of a project. Call me cynical but guys who work at this level will never do something like this and not get paid for it.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
XaNKoNII
Skilled

Post by XaNKoNII »

JackGriffin wrote:That's someone's demo reel to be used to get hired. This was never meant to be the start of a project. Call me cynical but guys who work at this level will never do something like this and not get paid for it.
Don´t think so, from what I see in his channel he´s an 3D artist/animator so I think this is more like a portfolio, meaning he did all the assets in the first video.

Heres is an example of his animation, I´m assuming he created everything here as well

omdaGuluqjE
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

XaNKoNII wrote:he´s an 3D artist/animator so I think this is more like a portfolio
I think we are saying the same thing ;)
XaNKoNII
Skilled

Post by XaNKoNII »

JackGriffin wrote:
XaNKoNII wrote:he´s an 3D artist/animator so I think this is more like a portfolio
I think we are saying the same thing ;)
:oops: indeed we are :ironic:
Terraniux
Masterful
Personal rank: Banished member

Post by Terraniux »

But still, I am overthrown by this.
this is simply AMAZING. I mean, it is possible, why should we encourage the project or gather a new project. I know this is long shot / the BIG bullet . It is so f..cking worth it you ever played Unreal.

For only this video I am willing to learn every aspect of UE4.
This member can only post when permitted.
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

Hey, I remember when this topic was made with UE2 instead of UE4.
I also remember when it was made about UE3.
Hell I even remember when people just wanted to update the game in UE1.
I also remember none ever came out. It seems the game is just too big and people are just not numerous or motivated enough with Unreal.
You must construct additional pylons.
editor Dave
Inhuman
Personal rank: Passionate SP Mapper

Post by editor Dave »

Hellkeeper wrote: Hell I even remember when people just wanted to update the game in UE1.
That one is still ongoing, though. And just today an update was posted: http://www.unrealsp.org/viewtopic.php?f ... 039#p75037
;)
10-Year Anniversary on Jun 08, 2019.
JackGriffin
Godlike

Post by JackGriffin »

I do some odd script work for Krullor on this project, custom triggers and events, stuff like that. I've helped him test the completed levels online and for the first time ever I've told someone I have to stop playtesting for them.

There's good and then there's ---goooooodddd--, and K's work is fully in the second category. We spent some time in TS this morning and I told him it's a shame he can't monetize this. Guys, I know I 'rah rah' new content and get excited when things get made but I can't properly express how good this is. You know how there's all these weapon mods and then there's NaliWeapons? Krullor's remakes are the coop equivalent of NW3.

So that's why I told him I had to stop playtesting. When the time comes and these are released I want to enjoy them fully. There's only so many top level projects that are going to be done for this game from here on and I don't want to mess up enjoying it. Especially this one.

He's completely committed to getting it done too.