topic

Discussions about everything else
nogardilaref
Masterful
Personal rank: ⚋⚊⚌☰⚞⌖⚟☰⚌⚊⚋

Re: DM-Roof

Post by nogardilaref »

makemeunreal wrote:You wouldn't be the first one these kind of comments disorientate from posting here.
I could show you guys like 20 maps you'll never see from authors who decided not to release their stuff. :'D
Keep on acting like this. :O You guys are so fakin elite. <3
To be fair, if those 20 maps are anything like what was posted here, and if those authors have the kind of attitude this newcomer had since the start, we're all better off without them.

Notice how your arrogant friend here tried to throw his weight around here in the community since the start like he was some kind of big shot. If someone is pretending to be elite, it's this friend of yours, and you by extent by supporting his actions.
And notice how the map is something anyone here could do easily in 5~10 minutes.

Sektor will be Sektor, you already know about him by now, and he will always be very crass with pretty much everyone here, so his own reaction is no surprise to anyone.
But other than that, even maps like this are often welcome, provided that they are followed by a good healthy dose of humbleness and willing to do better from the author.
Other members never treated him badly and simply tried to inform him that he should rename the map and why, yet he tried to throw some shade at them, so no thanks.

And all of this in a few hours at most, not the brightest entrance here in the forum.
sektor2111
Godlike

Re: DM-RooftopBattle

Post by sektor2111 »

:mrgreen: ExtraNote Leave sektor, and speak about sektor2111 because it's not the same guy, ask Higor about these two persons... look at some UDemo thread and see what I mean. Here I think I was polite in advance telling about little rules problem and map-name. The reply was... interesting - pretty aggressive as you can see. I don't get the point of MKMU here - still sad about contest maybe where his map was for another contest... idk exactly, but anyway... this day is a big one, look what Higor did. THAT is stuff... The rest is posting as usual...
nogardilaref
Masterful
Personal rank: ⚋⚊⚌☰⚞⌖⚟☰⚌⚊⚋

Post by nogardilaref »

You did start off less aggressively than usual, but you were still a little bit aggressive there. ;)
Although, with his attitude, it made your post look very "polite" indeed by comparison I must admit...
OjitroC
Godlike

Re: DM-Roof

Post by OjitroC »

Jake19 wrote: then i will deleting the map rigth now, ok? so take it easy, and don't worry, i wont upload any of my maps here again, goodbye.
You over react a little - that's the reason I pointed out that a map of that name existed - to avoid possible confusion and mismatches.

As regards the map, sektor2111 is right - some form of cover such as boxes, lift shaft heads or a/c units would be good. Have a look at DM-Rooftop or DM-Rooftop][ for ideas on what can be done; also see DM-UK-Rooftops.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

This map need a tiny little bit of tweaking ... No lighting, no cover, no bot pathing, no variation... no fun.

I have very strong bots and I'm tired ...and bored.
srsly01.png
Ok... that's all ...just weapons.
srsly02.png
I can't see anyone against this visual noisy backdrop. This must be fixed.
srsly03.png
So, I played the map and then I went into the Editor because I couldn't figure out why it's so slow and sometimes lagging.

:shock: SRSLY!??!!?
srsly.png
Why ...For God's sake... would you use the entire map-able area for such a small playground??? And worse ...nothing is on grid.

Ok, my conclusion:
This is a beginner map and shouldn't be uploaded anywhere. I won't say it's a bad map... It's not a map ...more important, this is certainly not a map to go public. Keep on mapping but never release the first 10 maps. They will be 100% garbage. Trust me, I know what I say. My first 20 maps were garbage. and my 21st map which I'd finally published on a forum was still not good.

I won't discourage you and say stop mapping, vice versa.
But please drop this attitude ...you can't threaten anyone with withdrawal of affection.
Post your maps and be prepared to get negative criticism and learn from them.
makemeunreal
Masterful

Post by makemeunreal »

Jake19 is a friend of mine I know in person.
He is a nice guy with a temper even shorter than mine. (well, online. IRL I don't really give a "sth" 'bout those I 'm not forced to care 'bout guess this made me choose vet.)
He has just started. I spent long hours tryin' to teach him, which time could have been spent with the vet. stuff written just above this sentence.

This guy was pretty happy with the results.
The first thing he wanted to do was a map resembling a cube. Well, it was a blank cube with the same texture on every wall.
But it made him happy, so did sharing his stuff.
I advice to create another forum section called somethin' like "Newcomer's maps". It really would make no mess but encourage new mappers to post their stuff.
It would be also servin' as a place of politeness, and helpfulness.

sektor2111 wrote::mrgreen: ExtraNote Leave sektor, and speak about sektor2111 because it's not the same guy, ask Higor about these two persons... look at some UDemo thread and see what I mean. Here I think I was polite in advance telling about little rules problem and map-name. The reply was... interesting - pretty aggressive as you can see. I don't get the point of MKMU here - still sad about contest maybe where his map was for another contest... idk exactly, but anyway... this day is a big one, look what Higor did. THAT is stuff... The rest is posting as usual...
It perfectly fits into the 4096^3 cube, and even posted WIP shots. :'D
As for the theme, and the missing chaos theme: (Quoting from the topic)
I'm very glad that you guys liked my map in general. It looks like that biggest and strongest complaint was the theme, which was the complete of opposite of the contests theme.

Let me add a little trivia-like-thingy here.

The very first idea was to build a bath a spa-like Nali temple overran by the Chaos lords leavin' nothin' but blood, and guts behind.
I was, however unable to deliver this due to the lack of my favorite image editor, Photoshop.
I couldn't deliver that feeling without it.

Let me show you somethin':
The map supposed to have the name: DM-CMC-Cesspool due to the fact that it would give home to extremely disgustin' stuff.
I didn't change the name durin' the process as you can see. The last version was cess80 which got renamed to Letitia.
That's how the rotten-ugly-disgustin'-cesspoolish theme did a 180 degree turn.

Letitia is the name of my girlfriend's. Another bit of trivia.
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

Jake19 wrote: i delete it and never upload it here again
Good. You won't waste any more of our time. Mapping ain't for you brother. Judging by your reaction neither is interpersonal interaction. I don't hold that against you though. I'd guess you are about 12 and that means you grew up glued to an IPhone screen so reactions like you had are all you've ever known.

Jesus, if he thinks this is harsh someone should post this 'map' to UnrealSP and get some feedback from there. If you could convince them it wasn't someone shitposting for a laugh then you'd have a full day's entertainment reading the responses. I've seen absolutely brutal replies on work I thought was kinda good. This....OMG this would be just spectacular. It would end up being a meme.

Oh and Nels, you keep doing what you do. I like the fact that you are direct. I'm glad you pulled back a bit on the harshness but don't stop telling it like it is.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

Uh I like rooftops, never saw one in real life tho lol, it would be nice to have a rooftop map on morning with cool buildings around (and probably with the most top apartment accessible), maybe it-s better on night on a rooftop party. I would make some try now but my windows10 died and I don-t have ut on Linux, especially for arm64 since I-m on raspberry right now :/
"Your stuff is known to be buggy and unfinished/not properly tested"
sektor2111
Godlike

Post by sektor2111 »

Funky did you see the map ? Do you know recommended distances for full view ? This is other sort of action not mapping. I was not interested to go mad mode here because I was waiting more feedback, and, here it is.

The rest of user posting with strings like "Mr. Perfect, Mr. Quality" is probably a frustration toward those who like good stuff and are using good stuff ONLY rather than files dropped or some sh!t floating outside of WC vase. So you can except us from dumping manure because maps getting over Editor's work-space are not a new thing and somehow they were more reach. Tutorials are a lot - USE THEM. Did you see my primitive mapping stuff ? Yeah, I prefer my stupid cubes on my playground rather than "1on1SmallMountain" if than one is called DM map or other borked miss-aligned things. And NO I don't have everything Perfect on my UT environment - not yet - but I'll step closer and closer. My debate generally is around UT works but here I see an aggressive debate around human. WHY ? This is not a social forum, it's an UT forum who need stuff distracting new players not a file dumping spree.
makemeunreal
Masterful

Post by makemeunreal »

sektor2111 wrote:Funky did you see the map ? Do you know recommended distances for full view ? This is other sort of action not mapping. I was not interested to go mad mode here because I was waiting more feedback, and, here it is.

The rest of user posting with strings like "Mr. Perfect, Mr. Quality" is probably a frustration toward those who like good stuff and are using good stuff ONLY rather than files dropped or some sh!t floating outside of WC vase. So you can except us from dumping manure because maps getting over Editor's work-space are not a new thing and somehow they were more reach. Tutorials are a lot - USE THEM. Did you see my primitive mapping stuff ? Yeah, I prefer my stupid cubes on my playground rather than "1on1SmallMountain" if than one is called DM map or other borked miss-aligned things. And NO I don't have everything Perfect on my UT environment - not yet - but I'll step closer and closer. My debate generally is around UT works but here I see an aggressive debate around human. WHY ? This is not a social forum, it's an UT forum who need stuff distracting new players not a file dumping spree.
Some of the players would be happy to play in a blank room, and would be more happier if they could create their own blank room.
It's not 'bout bein' the nice guy. It's 'bout UT's future... We, (newbie mappers) can improve and bring some good stuff out. :noidea :noidea :noidea
Barbie
Godlike

Post by Barbie »

Because I started converting the map DM-Crane into a MonsterHunt version, I'm quite familiar with its brushwork and textures... but have a look yourself.
Attachments
DM-RooftopBattle.jpg
DM-Crane.jpg
"Multiple exclamation marks," he went on, shaking his head, "are a sure sign of a diseased mind." --Terry Pratchett
makemeunreal
Masterful

Post by makemeunreal »

It was quite obvius from the start. :'D
That highway stuff is pretty unique.
PrinceOfFunky
Godlike

Post by PrinceOfFunky »

sektor2111 wrote:Funky did you see the map ?
Oh no, I didn-t download the map but I dislike it if it-s exactly how the screenshots display it, I just didn-t have a reason to say it lol. I guess it-s probably a mapper who liked the idea of seeing a map, he/she has always played, actually modified.
"Your stuff is known to be buggy and unfinished/not properly tested"
Carbon
Inhuman
Personal rank: Hoarder.

Post by Carbon »

makemeunreal wrote: Some of the players would be happy to play in a blank room, and would be more happier if they could create their own blank room.
It's not 'bout bein' the nice guy. It's 'bout UT's future... We, (newbie mappers) can improve and bring some good stuff out. :noidea :noidea :noidea
You're right and wrong. True that UT needs new mappers but your friend is quite arrogant. Arrogance together with thin skin means he won't last long, so he likely won't be a part of the future of UT. What he did is a personal accomplishment and sure, well done on that and keep going. But to call this a map is a bit silly, to release it even sillier and to be so arrogant about it (not see it for what it really is) is just ridiculous.

Now, to your credit, you ask questions and have a sense of humility; I would say that you are a part of the future of UT for those reasons and that you keep mapping, trying to get better and that you roll with criticism more easily. You know your work can get better and act accordingly and as a result, your work is always improving.

Get your friend to follow your example and he might have a future in UT. :tu:
makemeunreal
Masterful

Re: [Newcomer's maps]Jake 19

Post by makemeunreal »

It's his arrogance I don't get. The way he communicates. Nevermind.
I've already spoke with Jake 'bout this. It's his first time using a forum, that's why he was full of enthusiasm.