Old games downloads

Discussions about everything else
Red_Fist
Godlike

Old games downloads

Post by Red_Fist »

You all might already know about this website but I just found it, and probably needs virtual machines to run them or emulators.

https://www.myabandonware.com/
I did not encounter any popup stuff.

I really have to figure out how to get virtual machines to work like dOSbox. I just never spent enough time to go through it all.

Plus with windows 7 Pro, and with virtual machine built into my CPU, the damn thing is only good for notepad it seems. Why did they make the crap if it don't have vid drivers or sound or anything, just run another version of windows that don't do squat. I had it installed twice but it don't run any old games, just programs and boring stuff.
Binary Space Partitioning
Terraniux
Masterful
Personal rank: Banished member

Re: Old games downloads

Post by Terraniux »

Hey, thank you for sharing. Love old skool games. :thuup:

Edit, maybe someone can help me with this.

Back in the days I had this old Dos computer. And I had many diskettes with games on it. I am ever searching, for this 2d game where you have to push a big reddish / pink ball, and find a way out of the level.
It's looks a bit like Duke Nukem , but then you have to block streams of energy / electricity.

Anyone got a clue?
This member can only post when permitted.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

I finally got DOS installed on virtualBox after trying to install win2000 pro in it. But I reinstalled VirtualBox the last time I enabled in BIOS the virtual machine hardware and it DID speed things up a lot.

So it does work for other programs and not just XP from Microsoft VM. So I need to install an older windows version and VirtualBox DOES use the video card unlike useless Microsoft. Be really good if I can run old games without that XP VM total crap.
Terraniux
Masterful

Post by Terraniux »

I just used Dosbox. It is pretty easy to use. The only thing that takes time is the reading. Withing a half hour I got games working, including the reading part. :thuup:
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Terraniux wrote:I just used Dosbox. It is pretty easy to use. The only thing that takes time is the reading. Withing a half hour I got games working, including the reading part. :thuup:
I can't get past the "larger than 8 characters" complaint, even on a directory on C: that is 5 characters.
Terraniux
Masterful

Post by Terraniux »

I solved it by using making the folder name less than eight characters each. THIS IS FOR EACH FOLDER>
So if your game would be StreetFighter for example - - name it STREETF.

My games are in the C:\OldGames folder. I just used the old classic sango fighter haha.

commands:
mount c: c:\Oldgames
C:

DIR to check your contaning folders,

cd <gamename>

<the exe's game name>

I quickly made a video. Hope it brings help.

weGzJMgCHpM
Swanky
Adept
Personal rank: Brush Commander

Post by Swanky »

Thanks, found a few old games I used to play back when (Earthsiege 2... what a time), NFS3, got the latter working within minutes. So... yeah, thanks :)
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Well I have WinME installed on virtualbox, and a DOS VM as well, but I cannot get any file off my machine into the damn thing. I tried the share folder thing, turned services on in win7 incase that was stopping things.

The so-called clipboard won't paste a thing. And there is no other screen res just 16 colors stays at 640.
I opened a VHD from win 7, added a file, but then virtualbox would not open it, about permissions, then it wouldn't reopen in win7
Then I "copy" to the VM file type that is for virtualbox and it opened again with the vid driver but won't touch the screen settings.

LoL, you guys get a game and just play the damn thing in 2 seconds :oops: :mad2:
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

I finally got VirtualBox working with win2000 pro on my i7 win7 64bit pro, machine, tried a few simpler games and is working quite good.

I can't get it to work with win98 winME virtual machines, they stay at 16 bpp color depth and you can't share files with the host.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Ya ! I downloaded Soldier of Fortune 2.0 and is working good, win7 64 bit. You all should get that one, pretty extensive game. I am on the Columbia jungle area and is pretty hard. I set it to the second difficulty.

In that game if you move, the scope view on the sniper goes back to , no scope, you have to re-click to get the scope view again.

I also got virtual pool 3 and is working good

Going to try and get Heretic working, among other games, I went through the "platform" search and got most of the "Windows" games I wanted.
MrLoathsome
Inhuman
Personal rank: I am quite rank.

Post by MrLoathsome »

You wont need a VM to run Heretic, Hexen or Doom/Doom2.

Get Doomsday Engine.

http://dengine.net/windows
blarg
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

MrLoathsome wrote:You wont need a VM to run Heretic, Hexen or Doom/Doom2.

Get Doomsday Engine.

http://dengine.net/windows
I will try, the SoF2 works without it, among others. It seems most of it all you need is a way to mount a fake CD and install and-or to play, I had to use one in the VM so far, it is Some time Machine game (for windows)

I think the DOS games work better with Dosbox, I have a DOS VM, things worked but was quite sluggish compared to straight dosbox.

ADD
I see, never heard about that doom engine thing before, thanks man !
MrLoathsome
Inhuman
Personal rank: I am quite rank.

Post by MrLoathsome »

I just wish it would run ROTT. But that wont run on anything higher than DOS 6.22 if I recall. (16-bit thing I think...)

If you get ROTT running in that DOSBox thing, let us know. I might try it out.
blarg
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

MrLoathsome wrote:I just wish it would run ROTT. But that wont run on anything higher than DOS 6.22 if I recall. (16-bit thing I think...)

If you get ROTT running in that DOSBox thing, let us know. I might try it out.

All I did was "extract" the files into an arbitrary named directory, NOT just drag files over.
Then I did the same with the patch in another directory, both of those all under my one directory, since extracting will keep the directories they pack it with.

I know you know this, but use extract and not dragging files.

Then I took my directory and copied it under Dosbox program directory.
Then I took the EXE and dragged it ontop of the dosbox icon on my desktop, and it worked right away, there was no sound, and might be my setup not complete for dosbox.

But I didn't use the install or setup for the game, I only ran the exe. by dragging it on dosbox icon.
Attachments
rott111.jpg
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Holy Crap, really good game.

Just played and beat Soldier of Fortune II - Double Helix GOLD SOF2. I would tell everyone to play it. Sort of like the shotgun effect of Quake-Quake2 for excitement. Then has a DuecEx twang too it with some puzzles nicely fit into the game.

It has night vision goggles, or a night vision scoped gun later in the game. it was hard on the easiest difficulty. :mad2:

I played on the easiest level but only 5 saves. default
(all free game too :D )
Now I am putting it on the hardest difficulty, but unlimited saves, and carry max weapons. YES they put those settings in for "Custom" gameplay.

Ran on win7 64bit.

You must run a program to mount a CD I used-use, WinCDEmu
If you install it, CD1, it will just quit. It might have been the mounting or dismount, type of thing, so I just quit the program, inserted-mounted CD2, and it DID install. Remounted CD1 Then I ran the game, no problems at all, all graphics settings maxed out.

I did have trouble installing it, I think I messed up when it asked for CD2, but in that program you can mount more than one "CUE". So that might have been my mistake, all you need to do is find the CD2 find and mount it before installing, is my guess. But I managed to do it wrong and still installed, LoLzzz

Go download it, I think I got the one update, the last update is a hack , get the official one below it, then the two CD images, install that
https://www.myabandonware.com/ search for SOF2

The only extra work is mounting CD1 each time before you play, kick ass game.
You all should really play it, especially since it's free.