Engine.

Discussions about everything else
ItsYaBoiLoque
Novice
Personal rank: PhD in Fraggin' Ya!

Engine.

Post by ItsYaBoiLoque »

I'm doing some research before I begin to work on this so I wanted to ask here, which is the best engine for an FPS game? I'm looking for something stable that allows me to do a lot of things, I have to think well how I would like the game to be but I'm thinking something Doom Eternal, fast action, kills open to possibilities, that sort of stuff, while also using the environment, physics, puzzles, that would be more like Half Life 2. I don't mind sacrificing graphics in exchange for good game mechanics, I'm also not looking for something with multiplayer capabilities, if it is there then that's good but it's not necessary, all I'm looking for is something that runs well and plays good.
I know Unreal Engine 4 is popular but is it a good option?
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Re: Engine.

Post by JackGriffin »

If you could live anywhere in the world would you first buy your car then pick the destination? No, because you could be stuck with a winterized four-wheel drive that's pointless in your apartment on the Côte d'Azur.

It's backwards to ask what the best engine is without knowing what you are building. Selecting your engine THEN building your product means you'll be modding for that engine and not for what you want. Think about it for a moment...it's not really hard to look at new games coming out and make a reasonable guess as to the engine used to make it. CryEngine doesn't look at all like Frostbite, which doesn't resemble Source, and no one is going to miss UnrealEngine 4's treatment of light bloom.

Lay out your project in a serious way then find a couple of games that resemble how you imagine it to look. Do you want your single player game to look like Doom, more like Portal, or more like ArmaII? That's where your answer probably lies.

BTW, this isn't meant as a discouragement but there's a reason so many of us stay behind and mod for UT/U227. Stepping forward from here into newer engines almost guarantees you won't be able to go it alone. It takes a team to make a game, one person just can't do it all any longer. Even (good) mods for existing games take years to get done and you almost never see a single person doing it.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

Well, there's really no "best" engine, since this is subjective to what you're looking for and whatnot.

For FPS games, generally one of the best options to go is indeed Unreal Engine overall (any version), since it's been tailored from the beginning mostly for FPS games, or similar.
But the same could be said about any FPS-oriented engine.

However, you also have engines like Unity, which is far more generic (for all sorts of games, without any specialization), so all the FPS mechanisms and such you would either need to do from scratch or use someone else's template (I am sure there are more than some in the Unity store at least), however it's also more accessible and has a better and more comprehensive programming model and architecture than Unreal Engine 4 for example, hence being used by most Indie developers nowadays.

So, it's all a matter of you tinkering a bit with each engine you may find interesting, and which one offers best what you're looking for and go with it.

That isn't to say that later on after you made your decision that you won't regret it or at least prefer another engine later on, but it's not abnormal for a game to be remade in a different engine later on, if you have the energy, time (and money?) to do so, but generally the transition is not as hard as making a new game entirely, so don't try to focus much on whether your decision was right or not, even because you won't know until you reach a certain point of development anyway.
ItsYaBoiLoque
Novice
Personal rank: PhD in Fraggin' Ya!

Post by ItsYaBoiLoque »

I'm asking about the engine because most guides about game development begin with choosing an engine, and it makes sense because it is the foundation of a game, how could I begin working on the roof without having made the floors and walls first. I also don't plan to compete with a AAA game, I used Doom and HL as examples of how I would like to be able to mix both games gameplay wise but that's as close as I plan on getting, I know development of such a game would take a single person way too long, this is just a project I want to begin since I have enough free time to spend on something like this, I don't plan on it to becoming commercial either, it's a personal project for myself making a game that I want to play, if eventually I feel it's good enough then I would of course share it publicly for others to enjoy, or not.
I have been reading about them most popular engines and I think Unity may be the best option, UE4 and the CryEngine seem to be better graphic wise but like I said, I'm not looking to make a game with the best graphics, I want it to look good but it's not my major focus, if it ends up looking like original Doom I don't care as long as it plays well and can be able to adapt all the mechanics I want to add to it. Unity seems to be generic and have enough support to be a viable option for me, I consider myself a beginner since I have yet so much to learn but I'm not at blank either, I have an idea of the amount of work it is to make a game and what I have in mind will take plenty of hours of coding and more for debugging.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Try this, it was from the Myabandonware site

I have no clue but this little file has a lot of stuff in it.

It worked on win7 64 bit, what I noticed was they made it darkish but shows shadows when the projectiles fly by pillars and such, it's almost like a style of graphics and expands to a fairly big level, not sure what the Auther did to make the file so small but it's all there and worked.
Attachments
kkrieger-Chapter-1_Win_EN.zip
A game
(98.08 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
Binary Space Partitioning
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

.kkrieger (in English you would call it wwarrior) was never a real game but an experiment made from .theprodukkt for the Demo-scene.
Every element is procedural generated.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.kkrieger