Dm Gothic is a 1997 Unreal level

Discussions about everything else
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Dm Gothic is a 1997 Unreal level

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

This screenshot comes from an archive retrieved via wayback machine. All the screenshots are dated 1997, but among them this piece shone through.

ShaneChurch was actually made for Unreal and Dm Gothic has singleplayer roots. I always thought it had a bit of that early 1995 vibe especiall from the levels we've only seen on screenshots, but now this is a confirmation. This is why shanechurch appeared out of the sudden towards the end of UT developement. It didn't make appearance in the UT beta and it wasn't just shane's personal side thing for UT, it was created way before. Remember, facing worlds used to have the "shanechurch" tower in crypt2.utx textures. Before the retexture happened.
And Gotchic, lol gotchic, gothic was ported over as well it seems from early Unreal.
Attachments
newunreal2.jpg
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Re: Dm Gothic is a 1997 Unreal level

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

I was told by MMU that this corridor appears as such in Gothic, there's just a similar room using the same brushes it seems but not this exact same room. I don't have a way to play UT to refresh memory now but I watched a vid of this map.

Unless this room is there but outside the playable areas. Either way, gothic always felt out of place, even though the other maps later made with shanechurch felt like real dm maps, this was different....