How the hell, buying a used game ?

Discussions about everything else
Red_Fist
Godlike

How the hell, buying a used game ?

Post by Red_Fist »

Since we have steam, and all these "Games for windows" that discontinued their server.

We can't install the dang things , so how can they sell them and installing around windows Games BS

I had trouble with Bulletstorm because of that stupid windows Games installer , brand new and I have to fight to own it and install it.

I want to buy Fallout New Vegas, used or new and owning the disk.
Binary Space Partitioning
Higor
Godlike

Re: How the hell, buying a used game ?

Post by Higor »

Antonyms:
Steam <=> Quality control

There's tens of thousands of crapware, why would you not expect incompatible old games?
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

I always want to own the disk.

But I should clarify

"Games for windows" install problems

then

Buying used game, how can I use it or they are selling them, but theoretically cannot be used due to the key is already taken ?
I would see tons of complaints if those disks didn't work, so how are they doing it.

I want to sell a ton of stuff I have, but since steam , those games means they can't use them,
I think it is illegal to not be allowed to sell your old disks. I can't hand them my email so they can log in.
JackGriffin
Godlike
Personal rank: -Retired-

Post by JackGriffin »

I hate to sound that "that guy" but take the time to read the EULA and you'll see that you don't own most games. Instead you own access to that game and that can be revoked.
So long, and thanks for all the fish
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Well I see used disks for New Vegas and one new sealed one, but if I can get it $10 less.

Plus I am not against steam AFTER I own the disk I do have a steam account.
Swanky
Adept
Personal rank: Brush Commander

Post by Swanky »

As far as I know, only Fallout 3 used Gfwl and that had a mod that you could disable it with. New Vegas is using steam. Any New Vegas steam version does take a good bit of extra steps setting it up for modding compared to the GOG version which comes with inbuilt 64bit support (game runs on 32bit natively), so the game runs on more than 2 gigs of ram.

Source