What do you do?

Discussions about everything else
BadCorps
Experienced
Personal rank: Unholy

What do you do?

Post by BadCorps »

What do you do for an occupation? And who do you work for (If you want to share)?

Thought it might be interesting to see what people do outside of UT

For those that haven't read my Introduction in the Who Are You category:
I work for PRNHB as a data analyst and have been for the past 2 years.

Which means that I am responsible for monitoring the search histories and tracking trends. I am an advisor to the statistics management team (who helped design our wonderful suggestion algorithm). I mainly log IP addresses, make charts of trends, and monitor search histories.

Remember:
Incognito mode will hide you from the NSA and FBI, but I will always know.
Last edited by BadCorps on Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Re: What do you do?

Post by EvilGrins »

I work in reprographics, which is a fancy way of saying in a Copy Center.

Company was originally called Pitney Bowes, they source us out to various locations.

Used to have me at Deutsche Bank. Now I'm at Wilson, Sonsini, Goodrich, & Rosati, which is a law firm.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

occupation? IT support.

vocation? Comic artist
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Audio repair tech-electronics. vintage.
Binary Space Partitioning
Feralidragon
Godlike
Personal rank: Work In Progress

Post by Feralidragon »

Tech Lead of Microservices, in a company which is one of the top Android app stores in the world (several millions of users), with several partners, OEMs and such.

In other words, I lead one of the main development teams in this company, and as a team we're responsible for creating and maintaining all sorts of different services and APIs (public and private), services which are responsible to provide the right apps for your device, process payments, etc.

I have the additional task of also creating the underlying technology (frameworks and libraries) on top of which these services are built, so I have built and still are building and maintaining frameworks that allow these services to be built easily and securely (we had many security audits to confirm it), and also to make sure they are built in such a way that they are scalable horizontally across different machines (the frameworks are built so that you can just add more machines without any maintenance time windows and stuff just works).

I also create formal technical specifications to standardize the APIs across different teams.
Namely, this year I created a general specification that dictates how REST APIs must be built (URLs, nesting of parameters, error formats, etc, etc).

It's very fun and rewarding, and have been doing this sort of thing for nearly a decade I believe (8+ years).
On the flip side, at the end of the day I don't have much time or motivation for much else.
esnesi
Godlike
Personal rank: Dialed in.

Post by esnesi »

I do part IT Support in medical care (IT Servicedesk, application/windows support, creating tickets, offering remote desktop support)
And part functional application management at the same company. (Translating workflows into processes)
Making sure every department in the medical company can get their processes into the bought software.

Been doing this job for 12 years, at different companies and different branches.
Where now i work 5 years for the same company with a 'steady' contract.

Interesting topic!
rizbef
Experienced
Personal rank: castle maps hoarder

Post by rizbef »

Television production. It is both fun and stressful :mrgreen:
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

rizbef wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:06 pm Television production. It is both fun and stressful :mrgreen:
I envy you.
Hellkeeper
Inhuman
Personal rank: Soulless Automaton

Post by Hellkeeper »

Subtitles for the hearing-impaired on national TV. Specialized in live subtitling, mostly televised sport events, live news broadcasting and cultural events (military marches, war commemorations, presidential address or, unfortunately, terror attacks).
You must construct additional pylons.