Covid19 world status map

Discussions about everything else
User avatar
esnesi
Masterful
Posts: 547
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:58 pm
Personal rank: on it!

Re: Covid19 world status map

Post by esnesi » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:16 pm

Image
Don't get me wrong here, ofcourse it's really sad what happens.

User avatar
Metalfist
Masterful
Posts: 583
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:54 pm
Personal rank: ^,..,^ rawr

Re: Covid19 world status map

Post by Metalfist » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:47 pm

The Dutch government is lacking so much, they tell the wrong/contradicting things and don't dare to take any action, because of it will cause economic damage. As long as nobody panics its ok... ._.'
I would rather go live under a rock for a while.
Image

User avatar
esnesi
Masterful
Posts: 547
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:58 pm
Personal rank: on it!

Re: Covid19 world status map

Post by esnesi » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:48 pm

Dutch government just advised to work from home, if possible.
But not closing schools and businesses (yet)

User avatar
Feralidragon
Godlike
Posts: 5164
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:24 pm
Personal rank: Work In Progress
Location: Liandri

Re: Covid19 world status map

Post by Feralidragon » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:53 pm

esnesi wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:16 pm
Image
Don't get me wrong here, ofcourse it's really sad what happens.
The problem with those comparisons is that they do nothing for anyone other than downplaying what is a serious problem at the moment.

For one, that's comparing different timespans and seasons.

For two, none of that takes into account how fast each disease spreads: the spread is not linear, it's exponential, so if left alone, the new virus may actually kill hell lot more.

For three, it's a new virus under investigation, and not everything about how it works is clear: so there's no vaccine yet (unlike for seasonal flu) and no good way to treat it yet, and the more people it infects, the higher chances for mutating into an even more aggressive strain (which it already did btw).

For four, if you do some investigation about the mortality rate between the two, and you will see that the seasonal flu has a mortality rate of a small fraction of a percent, even in elderly, whereas the new one may go all the way up to 15% for the most elderly, that's a difference of 1 to 2 orders of magnitude, not a trivial one, meaning that 10x to 100x more die from this flu than the seasonal flu.

So all these folks trying to downplay it as just a flu like the seasonal one are in for a rude awakening when they or their loved ones get it, and potentially die from it.
I guess people will stop looking at numbers when their loved ones become those numbers.

Here's another fact for those who don't know: some years ago someone from this very community died very quickly from flu complications, someone who wasn't elderly nor had any particular health problems (afaik), and it wasn't a flu strain of this level, so take that into account while you're at it.

User avatar
OjitroC
Godlike
Posts: 1303
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:46 pm

Re: Covid19 world status map

Post by OjitroC » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:11 pm

Just to reinforce what Ferali says, seasonal flu has a global mortality rate of 0.1% but the current mortality rate for the Covld virus is at least twenty times that - it may be as high as 30 or 40 times that globally and up to sixty times that in particular countries/parts of countries. It may be as high as 100 times that amongst the most vulnerable (those over 70 years old and with underlying health issues which, of course, applies to a significant proportion of that age group).

Simply comparing the current number of deaths from coronavirus with those from flu (or other diseases) is meaningless - think about it.

Eternity
Novice
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:56 pm

Re: Covid19 world status map

Post by Eternity » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:11 pm


Red_Fist
Godlike
Posts: 1603
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:31 am

Re: Covid19 world status map

Post by Red_Fist » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:33 pm

You can't have a ratio of mortality until you know how many people had-has the virus.

Man you guys are way overly paranoid.
Binary Space Partitioning

User avatar
OjitroC
Godlike
Posts: 1303
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:46 pm

Re: Covid19 world status map

Post by OjitroC » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:40 pm

Red_Fist wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:33 pm
You can't have a ratio of mortality until you know how many people had-has the virus.
To a certain extent that is true and that is one of the reasons why a simple comparison of the number of deaths from flu in the USA in the 2016/17 flu season with the CURRENT number of deaths from coronavirus has no meaning. However one can calculate the current mortality rate based on deaths known to have resulted from the virus as a percentage of known infected cases. That rate will, of course, change over time and it wil be different in each country/region/place and for each agegroup (which is another reason why focusing solely on the number of global deaths has no meaning). That's why I said "may be" in what I wrote earlier. I don't think though that that invalidates the point about the differences in orders of magnitude of the mortality rate from the coronavirus as compared to that from flu.

User avatar
Feralidragon
Godlike
Posts: 5164
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:24 pm
Personal rank: Work In Progress
Location: Liandri

Re: Covid19 world status map

Post by Feralidragon » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:28 am

Red_Fist wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:33 pm
You can't have a ratio of mortality until you know how many people had-has the virus.
Which you will never know for sure, just like for any disease of this kind, so what's your point?
Even seasonal flu numbers are based on how many people actually go see a doctor in one way or another, however most won't see the doctor over a seasonal flu.

Therefore you can already have a ratio of mortality, which although will vary a bit over time, and over different regions, is still valid and shows how deadly this current flu is.
Red_Fist wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:33 pm
Man you guys are way overly paranoid.
Sure we are...
Perhaps when this virus knocks close to your home, maybe guys like you will take a tad bit more seriously, because only those living in this imaginary "nothing can hurt me" bubble are saying things like those.

I am not worried particularly for myself, but for the others around me which have no way of fighting this virus as it is now.
A 15% chance of dying for the most elderly is no fucking joke.
Even if it's 10 or 5% is still too damn high of a risk, which something like a seasonal flu doesn't even come close.

Like I mentioned before, it's not "zombie apocalypse"-serious, but it is still dead serious, and we all should do at least the basics to avoid it from spreading further, and even mutating in the process.
In Italy anyone infected not staying isolated as they should, may have murder charges very soon based on how many they infect and kill over their own stupidity.

Red_Fist
Godlike
Posts: 1603
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:31 am

Re: Covid19 world status map

Post by Red_Fist » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:07 am

The point is they don't have tests, if you tested a million people and 32 people died, compared to testing 250 people and 32 died.

In Italy they said 60% of the people are over 60 or something like that, so that ratio would also be inaccurate.
They also said 80% of the population won't be a problem, get sick and then be fine.

They said it can last 3 days on a surface, the other day they said 9 days.
They also said it can last air born for 3 hours.

The other thing to consider is how dense and how long you were in a contaminated area, you don't get sick from one germ or one virus, your body can take more as opssed to sitting in a room full of sick people for 8 hours.

So far our state has 2 infected, the news just said schools will stay open.
Binary Space Partitioning

User avatar
TexasGtar
Novice
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:52 pm

Re: Covid19 world status map

Post by TexasGtar » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:04 am

Just stay safe everyone.

User avatar
fudgonaut
Experienced
Posts: 125
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:20 am
Personal rank: Abysmal
Location: The Emerald City

Re: Covid19 world status map

Post by fudgonaut » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:36 pm

My experience is anecdotal, and not representative of what others are experiencing in my area. Take it with a grain of salt.

As a resident of Seattle I will say this: lots of people are behaving like idiots. This is not just another flu - but it's not the Apocalypse, either.

Apparently people are obssessed with hoarding toilet paper. Excessive pooping is not a symptom of COVID-19. Instead of selfishly stocking up on provisions like it's World War Z, people should be volunteering to help mitigate the risks to their community.

Fortunately lots of Seattle individuals, companies, and organizations are pursuing community / informational outreach to address this international health crisis. Worth noting: the Seattle Times has removed paywall restrictions for Coronavirus-related articles.

People should be getting their information directly from reliable sources like university studies, and the World Health Organization. If you're looking for stats/maps, stick with the WHO or Johns Hopkins University:

WHO Covid-19 Situation Dashboard
Coronavirus COVID-19 Global Cases

This may be a no-brainer, but be wary of any info or statistics gleaned from social media. Seriously. The amount of distortion, hysteria, pseudo-science, and firend-of-a-friend-misinformation I have seen on Facebook is staggering.

If you are unsure of the veracity of an information source, I recommend using a site like Media Bias / Fact-Check. I encourage people to find multiple trustworthy fact-checking sites to validate their sources of information. If you are sharing information with others, cite your sources. I personally practice ignoring any statement that starts with 'they say...' I have no idea who 'they' are, and without a citation, have no way of validating that information. Therefore, that information goes in the trash bin.

The current U.S. administration is bungling its response at every turn. Action at the local level is how this crisis is going to be addressed.

My partner and I would be seeking ways to volunteer locally, except that we have been busy planning our relocation since October. We love Seattle but the cost of living has become too expensive.

We have committed all our meager finances to moving to Cleveland (no Cleveland jokes, please). Notice has been given to our current landlord. The Cleveland lease is signed. Everything is in boxes. The moving company has been contracted and arrives next week.

We have legitimate concerns that the COVID-19 pandemic will impact our move. If for some reason travel restrictions are enacted and we can't move, we will — without exaggeration — be bankrupted. That scenario seems unlikely right now, but who's to say that won't change in a week's time?

Ugh. I dunno. Forgive my rambling, maybe I've just over-tired.

Keep well-informed. Act rationally and compassionately. Practice diligent hygiene and social distancing. Make good choices. Stay safe.

-fudgonaut

Red_Fist
Godlike
Posts: 1603
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:31 am

Re: Covid19 world status map

Post by Red_Fist » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:54 pm

They show a map again, we had 2 known infected, but the state(s) all have red color. Now I hear we have 12 known infected and over 60 and they were traveling to other countries. The also said they are recovering at home.
Binary Space Partitioning

mannodermaus
Novice
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:03 am

Re: Covid19 world status map

Post by mannodermaus » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:32 pm

fudgonaut wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:36 pm
My experience is anecdotal, and not representative of what others are experiencing in my area. Take it with a grain of salt.
As a resident of Seattle I will say this: lots of people are behaving like idiots. This is not just another flu - but it's not the Apocalypse, either.
Don't worry, I can reassure you: Residents in northern Germany are every bit as terrible.

Great advice and information, though. Fingers crossed that you can go through with your move!

User avatar
Dr.Flay
Godlike
Posts: 3240
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:26 pm
Personal rank: Chaos Evangelist
Location: Kernow, UK
Contact:

Re: Covid19 world status map

Post by Dr.Flay » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:41 pm

I have been following this since the beginning of the year and have been collecting useful resources.
https://dr-flay.vivaldi.net/covid-19/

Locked