UT99 Sniper Camping Gameplay Poll

Discussions about everything else

If UT99 sniper camping servers gameplay is recreated in a new UE4 game, would you play it?

Yes
45%
No
55%

Total votes: 11

KingJosh
Skilled

UT99 Sniper Camping Gameplay Poll

Post by KingJosh »

If there was an Unreal Engine 4 game with modern graphics that featured a large urban nighttime map and was focused on camping in skyscrapers were you snipe enemies through windows, would be interested in that game? It would be multiplayer deathmatch game with only snipers and only large urban maps.
UTPe
Masterful
Personal rank: Dude

Re: UT99 Sniper Camping Gameplay Poll

Post by UTPe »

generally speaking, I would say yes because I'm a great fan of sniper camping in ut99 but...

1. building sniper maps is a pretty hard and long work (the scenario is even worse in modern games for single mods). I can't guess the work necessary to build maps like those by SUF, BBST o TKK, etc.
2. modded xloc/rifle is fundamental: without a good one (for example NBK rifle), the game is totally useless also with awesome/next-generation maps.
3. modern sniper games are something different from ut99 sniper camping, realism is preferred to playability.

...so I think we will never see a new UE4 sniper game with a camping mod similar to ut99 sniper camping.

unfortunately, the golden age of ut99 sniper is over by time. several historical sniper clans don't exist anymore or they are not active. sniper community has been loosing too many players and servers on the way over the years. nowadays, it's difficult to setup even a rumble between clans. what could help ? really don't know, maybe the performance of the new v469 and discovering a way to build large sniper maps more easily than before (maybe using better and different 3D tools than UEd and smart conversion utilities for .t3d format) could be a good starting point.
Personal map database: http://www.ut99maps.net

"These are the days that we will return to one day in the future only in memories." (The Midnight)
EvilGrins
Godlike
Personal rank: God of Fudge

Post by EvilGrins »

Life has taught me that when it comes to sniping, I'm the guy running around getting sniped the most.
http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
medor wrote:Replace Skaarj with EvilGrins :mrgreen:
Smilies · viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13758
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

I'm saying no because it's different on things that are set up. And again there is no proper anti-cheat on UE4/UT4.
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
esnesi
Godlike
Personal rank: Dialed in.

Post by esnesi »

i would! :)
Curious on the movement with the translocator.

200% gamespeed, AntiCamp, and that one specific map! :tongue:
That stuff was insane back in the days xD
UTPe
Masterful
Personal rank: Dude

Post by UTPe »

esnesi wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:33 pm Curious on the movement with the translocator.
...without xloc, ut99 sniper camping cannot be played on complex maps. for example, think about some SUF maps like UrbanAscent, ShrapnelBay or MortalCollapsing.
by using the xloc, you can reach almost every sniper spot on a map, yeah it's cool. I spent weeks much time ago to learn the magic.

maybe some xloc training servers are still active...take a look at this video !

Personal map database: http://www.ut99maps.net

"These are the days that we will return to one day in the future only in memories." (The Midnight)
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

UTPe wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:28 pm
esnesi wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:33 pm Curious on the movement with the translocator.
...without xloc
Was going to say as much, most sniper servers use an arena only mutator for whatever sniper gun they choose... so it wouldn't be possible to access any translocation device.

I might know a good map for this, old edit I did awhile back. I'd have to update it for the chosen sniper weapon, it's currently setup with a sniper's M-16 with night vision.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:40 pm Was going to say as much, most sniper servers use an arena only mutator for whatever sniper gun they choose... so it wouldn't be possible to access any translocation device.
Don't they use an arena mutator that replaces the UT transloc with their own transloc, plus replacing ammo, jumpboots and armor (in some cases) as well as the sniper rifle? I've got several that do that and tend to use the HOHRIfle when playing off-line sniping matches as this has a transloc which is silent and has a slightly longer range.
EvilGrins
Godlike

Post by EvilGrins »

OjitroC wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:11 pmDon't they use an arena mutator that replaces the UT transloc with their own transloc, plus replacing ammo, jumpboots and armor (in some cases) as well as the sniper rifle?
Not that I'm aware of but then I don't use WeaponSwapper mutators.

Most arena mutators change all weapons to 1 weapon and all ammo to that 1 weapon's ammo... but the original arena mutators only allowed 1 weapon total, you could only use the weapon from whichever arena mutator you chose.

Rocket Arena
Flak Arena
Sniper Arena
Etc.
OjitroC
Godlike

Post by OjitroC »

EvilGrins wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:00 pm Not that I'm aware of but then I don't use WeaponSwapper mutators.
The approach seems to vary - some sniper clans just use a simple replacement mutator that swaps all weapons/ammo for their sniper rifle/ammo (or gives the player the rifle on start up) - others replace the HUD as well and some (like NBK, EST, HOH) use a more complex set of mutators that replace stuff in a map with not just the sniperrifle and ammo but also replace the xloc/HUD/jump boots/armor and the redeemer with their own versions. This is based on a quick scan of the various clan sniper rifle .u files I have.

As regards the poll question, it sounds interesting but the points raised by UTPe are important and need to be taken into account. I probably wouldn't be able to play an Unreal Engine 4 game unless there was a mac version of it.
Red_Fist
Godlike

Post by Red_Fist »

Binary Space Partitioning
grub

Post by grub »

Absolutely, it's my favourite playstyle. Everything else is meh.
Hunt3r
Novice
Personal rank: Introvert

Post by Hunt3r »

I would play it for sure. Sniper camping on UT was my first online experience on a video games. And i still play it from time to time. Back then, my favorites were some camping servers (NBK, HOF, FuN and some names i can't remember) and also a Freestyle sniper server called !SX! or something.
Chamberly
Godlike
Personal rank: Dame. Vandora

Post by Chamberly »

I think !SX! Was by a guy who used to be in TA/TKK clan, forgot his name atm lol. Kid something. I wonder where he went cuz his server usually get populated with all the mods he put on it and freestyle mode.
Image Edit: Why does my sig not work anymore?
KingJosh
Skilled

Post by KingJosh »

Thanks for voting, I was gauging interest in this level being used for a camping sniper only DM.