EFFING WRONG (Warfare Edition)

Discussions about everything else
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

EFFING WRONG (Warfare Edition)

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

imagine having just licensed the engine back in the day for big bucks and getting stuff with it like this

lol

no but seriously, licensees got stuff like that as examples/demos. Really incentive to work off and be inspired to make your own game after seeing stuff like that.

Follow the link in the video to get the list of sources used...
Shrimp
Adept

Re: EFFING WRONG (Warfare Edition)

Post by Shrimp »

Looks pretty raw.
ShrimpWorks
Unreal Archive - preserving over 25 years of user-created content for the Unreal series!
Leo(T.C.K.)
Inhuman

Re: EFFING WRONG (Warfare Edition)

Post by Leo(T.C.K.) »

Yea well, some of the stuff wasn't in the map originally (like the "bird" or that the pistol could actually fire) but the rest is just unfixed behavior how it was, the later parts of the video show the udn stuff and that last map is originally from the ue2 runtime, those example vehicles also exist (not the warfare ones, just the example colorful ones) for the ue2 runtime but there was a version to compile for the warfare builds as well.

It just amazes me. There was a lot of cool content actually created for warfare but it really wasn't this middle period stuff that much. If anything the GDC 2002 video did feel pretentious to me and it showed the capabilities of Mantinee yes, but the actual game wasn't behaving like the prescripted sequences. It's a shame really. There were some cool ideas like there is animation for the geist version of the minigun (no first person mesh so it always uses the cog gatling gun mesh too), in the third person that extends blades and starts rotating them for melee attack. This is not implemented in the game but was however planned. I suppose it is the predecessor to the chainsaw/assault rifle hybrid weapon that gow is known for.

What I'd like to see is the 2000 version of warfare especially due to more varied environment that wasn't just cities/tech bases or forests at best, but also gothic structures and other things. There were also the known mesas from the 2001 version (that was shown in gdc 2001 and two of the videos are currently missing).

There was a semi leaked version in the 700 range of the engine but that one seems to be lost to time now.

This early 2003 version has most of the gdc 2002 content except for two of the biggest maps (the big bases map and the caverns map with the collapsing bridge).

Then there was supposedly some later stuff that had the funky harpies (which I'd love to see actually), which were both ambientcreatures version and apparently also a player/bot version that could use the weapons.

Then all the content ended up being scrapped and most of the resources went to ut2004 anyway while they reset developement for early UE3 and all textures/things were made anew directly leading to gears of war.

Unfortunately or fortunately it was a good thing after all. Unreal Warfare on UE2 or let's say UE2.5 wasn't very good and if it was finished it would have been received very strangely among Unreal fans. After all, many of the major flaws Unreal 2 was critised for was carried over from Warfare. It has the most slow/sluggish player movement ever, the dodging when enabled, was kind of reversed/weird, it had attempts at realism that failed greatly with clunky things like the engineer setup (something i didn't cover in the video and don't really care to, but let's say that it's just too overly complicated not to mention buggy and that even laser tripmines will not work unless the wall is close enough)...