Linux for UT / Ued?

Discussions about everything else
ExpEM
Adept

Linux for UT / Ued?

Post by ExpEM »

I've been using windows 8.1 for a long long time now and I'm of the mind-set "fuck windows 10. Fuck windows 11 harder!" and I have been looking to dual boot my pc for quite some time with linux.
I'm (very lightly) familiar with running ubuntu server for a Minecraft server and as a NAS.
I'd like to go over to linux full time. Considering I barely have any interest in modern games (read: last 15 years of releases) I won't be missing out on much.

I'm curious as to what distros the community uses that can run UT and Ued without hiccups.
I've seen posts in the past alluding to Ued not working well with Wine?
Primarily I'd be interested in a Debian fork. MX Linux is on the rise, has any one tried it?

Any and all info would be appreciated please, let me know of your experiences with linux for UT / Ued and for everyday use.
Signature goes here.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Re: Linux for UT / Ued?

Post by papercoffee »

I think what you need is the 469 patch for Linux UT.
UT Sniper (SJA94)
Inhuman
Personal rank: Retard

Post by UT Sniper (SJA94) »

There is no UED for linux, you would have to use WINE. I used ubuntu for native UT.
papercoffee
Godlike
Personal rank: coffee addicted !!!

Post by papercoffee »

UT Sniper (SJA94) wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:53 pm There is no UED for linux, you would have to use WINE. I used ubuntu for native UT.
Really? Even the 469 version won't work?
...didn't know this.
Shrimp
Adept

Post by Shrimp »

I run UT on Debian natively without problems. The trickiest part is just installing all the appropriate i386 packages it needs which always trips me up.

My install process involves using Steam to install the Windows version, the copying it out of the Steam directory to somewhere else, applying 469b Linux, and removing a bunch of duplicate files (the case of file names provided by the Windows install vs files provided by 469 differ, so you end up with stuff like windrv.int and WinDrv.int). I also just remove all the .dll and .exe files from the System directory to keep it clean.

I've also been successfully running UnrealEd on Linux, also sourced from the Steam install, but running via Proton. I install 469b onto the Steam version:

Code: Select all

WINEPREFIX=/home/username/.steam/steam/steamapps/compatdata/13240/pfx STEAM_COMPAT_CLIENT_INSTALL_PATH=~/.steam/steam STEAM_COMPAT_DATA_PATH=/home/username/.steam/steam/steamapps/compatdata/13240 ~/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/Proton\ -\ Experimental/proton run ~/Downloads/OldUnreal-UTPatch469b-Windows.exe
And after that's done, copy the UT directory out of the Steam directory - because UEd does not like dealing with spaces in file names or long paths, so I dump it somewhere with a short space-less path. Then I just have this helper script to run UEd with Proton:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash

export WINEPREFIX=/home/username/.steam/steam/steamapps/compatdata/13240/pfx 
export STEAM_COMPAT_CLIENT_INSTALL_PATH=/home/username/.steam/steam 
export STEAM_COMPAT_DATA_PATH=/home/username/.steam/steam/steamapps/compatdata/13240 

(cd /home/username/bin/ut-win && /home/username/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/Proton\ -\ Experimental/proton run ./System/UnrealEd.exe)
When I'm using UEd, I just edit maps in the native install's maps directory, so I can play them natively. The "Play now" button in UEd doesn't seem to work.
ShrimpWorks
Unreal Archive - preserving over 25 years of user-created content for the Unreal series!
ExpEM
Adept

Post by ExpEM »

Thanks all!

I've got things working, here is exactly what I did to get things working:

Installed MX Linux on a spare machine to get the feels.
Downloaded the offline installers for Unreal and UT99 from GOG.
Installed Wine.
Ran the installers with Wine.
Downloaded 227i patch.
Installed patch with Wine.
Downloaded 469b patch.
Installed patch with Wine.

Ued 2.1 and 2.2 are both working fantastic but as Shrimp says the play button is funky (it dose work... eventually... but the game doesn't full screen properly and I have to Alt + Enter twice to fix it), launching the games from the desktop to test levels isn't so bad.
I have built a small level in 469b and written a tiny Mutator and haven't had any problems (except the play button).
No vertex dragging while holding the Alt key as it moves the window.
Also noticed Ctrl + W is now Ctrl + D to duplicate, B no longer toggles hiding the builderbrush etc. (These maby just 469 things rather than linux).
I'm sure I'll find other key combos have changed too.

Over all a really painless process, if others are reading this thread thinking of doing the same then go for it.

I also installed Steam but it wouldn't let me install Unreal or UT99 (neither game being Linux compatible) which is why I went the GOG rout (I already owned both games on both sites).
As a bonus Steam will let you stream games from a Windows PC to a Linux PC if they both have Steam logged into the same account, I was also surprised by the number of games in my Steam library that can be installed onto Linux natively (about 1 in every 4 games).

Edit: I just found a tutorial for how to enable Proton in Steam, I'll report back once I tinker some more.
Signature goes here.
ExpEM
Adept

Post by ExpEM »

So, in the mean time I have dual booted with ubuntu, which I found to be a horrid experience.
It lags and just does not feel nice to use.
I then installed Linux Mint from scratch, the OS itself is pretty and much snappier than MX Linux but, and it is a big but, wine is broken entirely when installing from the software manager.
Having followed the instructions from the Wine website to install via terminal I am sorely disappointed to find that Wine itself works to install but still not RUN both unreal and UT99.
Steam itself dose install, Proton enabled, no problems installing UT99 but again, no success at actually running the damn game!
It is unfortunate but I absolutely can not recommend Linux Mint in any way or form from my own experience when it comes to the unreal franchise.
I am about to re-install MX Linux and experiment again.
Signature goes here.
anth
Adept

Post by anth »

A couple of notes:
1. Installing the game natively on Linux can be a bit of a hassle. The main issue is getting all of the necessary i386 libraries installed. Another problem is that we ship the patch with several libraries (e.g., SDL2, xmp, openal-soft, ...) that were built and tested on Ubuntu. If you do not run Ubuntu yourself, I would recommend that you delete these libraries from your UT/System folder and that you install your distribution's version of the libraries instead.
2. We will almost certainly release a native 64-bit Linux patch for 469c. This might fix some of the above issues.
3. Running UnrealEd with WINE can be quite an adventure. UEd works relatively well with some WINE versions (except for known hard-to-fix issues such as the broken play button), but it completely breaks with other WINE versions. We would _really_ like to build a new cross-platform UEd on top of something like wxWidgets or Qt but I have no idea if/when that will ever happen.
Doctor Manhattan
Novice

Post by Doctor Manhattan »

anth wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:04 am A couple of notes:
1. Installing the game natively on Linux can be a bit of a hassle. The main issue is getting all of the necessary i386 libraries installed. Another problem is that we ship the patch with several libraries (e.g., SDL2, xmp, openal-soft, ...) that were built and tested on Ubuntu. If you do not run Ubuntu yourself, I would recommend that you delete these libraries from your UT/System folder and that you install your distribution's version of the libraries instead.
2. We will almost certainly release a native 64-bit Linux patch for 469c. This might fix some of the above issues.
I'm definitely up for 64bit, I don't want a tonne of duplicate 32bit libraries wasting space.
Shrimp
Adept

Post by Shrimp »

You just made my day/week/month.
ShrimpWorks
Unreal Archive - preserving over 25 years of user-created content for the Unreal series!